Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised, I removed my cam cover and checked the cam chain followers. I removed the ratchet tensioner and pulled the tensioner arm back from the chain. Absolutely no visible wear on the face of the tensioner at all. [woot] I took some pics and put it all back together. I'd say this is something that we can rest easy about, no worries here.:)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I always thought that the cam chain was the "clacker" noise in the 111............:cool::cool::cool:

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
That is good news. Thanks!

·
German rider
715 Posts
How does it works? What kind of spring or pressure operates the left one?
I read about the change of the tensioner, if clackering occurs...
What detailed part of the left tensioner should be better to fix the clackering?
I remember the posts, this improved only a short time and dont realy fixed the problem.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I dint know the motor was full of whirls gigs, sprocketty things, bits of extraneous metal, and miscellaneous weird stuff.

It's gonna be a hellova mess if it explodes at some stage, shrapnel everywhere....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Must be due to the use of genuine "Indian Motor Oil" (ha-ha). People learn from the mistakes of others. I always thought the spring pressure on the Harley tensioners was way too strong. Then they went to a tensioner that was controlled by oil pressure. There are some automobile engines that use nylon/plastic tensioners and followers without any problems. This is good news. One less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for sharing this information. Wish I had time to rack up that many miles on my Chieftain.
Thanks for posting this, I wondered how they would hold up. One less thing to worry about.
Thanks SO much for doing this Whizz!!! [happy]

That is good news. Thanks!
Thanks @WhizzbangK.C. ,
That is really good to know and thanks for posting the info and photos. I think the TS 111 is going to be a really long-lived motor, but it's nice to have confirmation. Chieftain #873, 39,000 and counting...
--- Randall
Thanks for the check and pic's, WB

It looks like we won't need S&S to fix an obvious design problem issue like HD did.
I did it mainly for my personal peace of mind, but you're all very welcome. :D

How does it works? What kind of spring or pressure operates the left one?
I read about the change of the tensioner, if clackering occurs...
What detailed part of the left tensioner should be better to fix the clackering?
I remember the posts, this improved only a short time and dont realy fixed the problem.
As to how it works, there is a torsion type coil spring on the left tensioner, that keeps a steady pressure on the chain. I removed the ratchet adjuster mechanism to allow the follower to pivot out far enough to see the wear surface. The ratchet adjuster keeps the follower from bouncing out too far if the chain develops "tight" spots, but does not actually contribute much pressure against the chain.

Good information! This is a weakness on Harley's.
I really think that the main problem with "the other brand" wearing out adjusters so fast is excessive run-out on the crank assemblies. They widened their tolerances to allow more than is really good, in order to keep from having to do rework. This makes the chain go slack and tight every time the engine rotates, bouncing the adjuster around and putting excessive stress on it. With the forged crank the TS111 is not susceptible to this type of failure at all, unless the crank breaks. :eek:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I remember looking at some of the Harleys that had tensioner problems. The tensioner was probably less than half the length of the one in the picture. Actually I'm surprised the Indian tensioner is that short. The Victory tensioner are about 10 inches long - supposedly they did it to overkill and not follow Harley's footsteps.

Sent from my IBM Selectric

·
German rider
715 Posts
Vics are overhead cammed...........No? They need a Long chain, thus long dampers.
OHC car engines are, if a chain is used, equipped with this long guide too.
Even my old 1991 Mercedes 300CD with exactly 836.681 mls on it.
Checked chain tensioner (ratched plus oil pressure type),
this long guide and the duplex chain last summer... no replacement needed.

But this long guide and its good material is no guarantee
for long engine life, if the chain is a simplex style and the tensioner
only uses the oil pressure w/o ratsched design.
(see also Mercedes engine M271 - dead heads below 60.000 mls)

Summarized,
the strong duplex design and the oil pressure plus ratched tensioner design
is well developed/choosen from Indian/Swissauto.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had an 03 ultra which in 28,000 had to have my cam shoes changed, but then the material was like a bakelite which didn't last. Now their hydraulic tensioners and a different poly material. so far over 65000 mile and going strong...Famous last words:confused:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts