Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried to remove the saddle bags on 2019 Chieftain? Specs say 6mm Allen wrench at 18 ft/lbs. The bolts are so tight they are stripping when trying to loosen. This is a real pain in the ass, because I need to remove the saddle bags to install rear crash bars. I’ve been extremely happy with my bike and now something minor like this has me wanting to drive it off a bridge.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Sounds like they were overtightened for sure. You might need a very good quality tool plus some skill. I have had to drill out stripped bolts before. An impact tool can be useful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just removed mine off my 19 Limited last week with no issue. Agree that someone decided to go all Hercules on that instead of using a torque wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
When you say stripping you mean the hex/Allen head/socket. Many of these bolts are fastened by machines or torque guns and run them down nice and tight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say stripping you mean the hex/Allen head/socket. Many of these bolts are fastened by machines or torque guns and run them down nice and tight.
Yes, the Allen/hex head. Thinking about using a Dremel to cut a slot in the head and using a large flat head screw driver with wrench attached for leverage. My only problem is, these bolts are in so tight it feels like I’m going to break the actual plastic on the saddle bag.

·
Founding member
1,496 Posts
I've installed two different sets of rear crash bars. I guess I just didn't know you had to remove the bags to do it. Don't remember it being that complicated. But as far as the bolts go in the 19 saddlebags evidently the bolts are made from too soft of metal. I heard a 19 owner say his allen wrench twisted off in the hex slot. So they must be both too soft and too tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone tried to remove the saddle bags on 2019 Chieftain? Specs say 6mm Allen wrench at 18 ft/lbs. The bolts are so tight they are stripping when trying to loosen. This is a real pain in the ass, because I need to remove the saddle bags to install rear crash bars. I’ve been extremely happy with my bike and now something minor like this has me wanting to drive it off a bridge.
I don't know why they went away from the quick release option on the 2019. I pull the saddle bags off every time I clean the bike. I went ahead and added the quick release mounts to my 2019 Chieftain and am happy with the results.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,816 Posts
Just use a good quality stubby allen and a cordless impact. If that will fit between the sidewalls of the bags it will break it loose in a split second....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
...or...
Go to the dealer who over tightened the screws...........
Make them fix it.
For $25,000 I would hope they would.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and make you a deal on the quick release hardware or replace what they over-tightened now that it is bad.
Finally, got the bolt removed. Went and got the sharpest tooth vise grips I could find and with some serious force and a mangled bolt it popped loose. Really surprised it wasn’t screwed through the backside of the saddle bag.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've installed two different sets of rear crash bars. I guess I just didn't know you had to remove the bags to do it. Don't remember it being that complicated. But as far as the bolts go in the 19 saddlebags evidently the bolts are made from too soft of metal. I heard a 19 owner say his allen wrench twisted off in the hex slot. So they must be both too soft and too tight.
Installed the rear bars today, definitely have to remove the saddle bags. The front corner of the ‘19 bags are even with the back bolt on the bars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you have the new style of Chieftan? My wife has a 2019 Chieftan Classic and I installed the rear bars without taking off the bags.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I didn't know they ditched the quick release hardware for the Chieftain...that seems like a step backwards.

I've got a 2014 and the more I hear about the new model year "improvements" the more I love mine. Plus it's Indian Red which is clearly the best color ;-)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I didn't know they ditched the quick release hardware for the Chieftain...that seems like a step backwards.

I've got a 2014 and the more I hear about the new model year "improvements" the more I love mine. Plus it's Indian Red which is clearly the best color ;-)
I have noticed the same thing.
Victory did he same thing. The early models had much nicer appointments....which went away with time.

Has Indian ditched the oil cooler on the '19s like on the DarkHorse?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I have noticed the same thing.
Victory did he same thing. The early models had much nicer appointments....which went away with time.

Has Indian ditched the oil cooler on the '19s like on the DarkHorse?
They have not provided that oil cooler as standard equipment except for the bikes with fairings. You can retrofit it on any Thunderstroke.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
No, however they may have been included in certain special cases... I have no accurate info except for their inclusion on the fairing bikes - Roadmasters and Chieftains.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts