Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may seem a daft question but does anyone else find it difficult to see the coolant level in the expansion tank of the scout?
There am I shining torches in from every angle but I'm blowed if it's there!!
So, because I thought there was no fluid at all I added a small quantity of antifreeze mixture and find that it's flowing out of the vent and onto the floor so it must be fine...mmm. It really shouldn't be this difficult.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok...my fault - after running a Google check it turns out that this topic has already been addressed....yes, it's difficult!

·
Bronze Member
2,012 Posts
Easiest way I found is once you get the bike vertical just move the handlebars back and forth a little and you will see the coolant moving. Hopefully at the
correct level.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Motion of the ocean does help, wiggle the bike a bit. That was the only way I could tell where the level was, even with a 200 lumen LED flashlight, on my old Scout 60.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found it very easy to see if you do it at night or in a dark garage and illuminate it from the exhaust side while looking at it from the level indicator. Use an LED flashlight too. Rocking it helps too, but that's a b**** while trying to illuminate it and hunch over to look through the level indicator... lol

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
While the Scout is in a wheel chock is the easiest way, you can gently wiggle the bike from side to side and still see the sight window while shining a flashlight. I always wanted to make a dipstick out of a zip tie, but traded it on my Springfield.

·
Bronze member
1,382 Posts
I know this may seem a daft question but does anyone else find it difficult to see the coolant level in the expansion tank of the scout?
You had me returning to an idea I had about this after I got my Scout and had the same trouble seeing the level... which BTW, when Cold/Full it is all the way at the bottom of the viewport anyhow!

So I finally tried a proof of concept using an automotive LED (amber signal) I had sitting around and a switched AC wire that wasn't used anymore. (almost forgot to say: temporarily connected to accessory wire that's taped to harness and frame ground.)
I wasn't sure what it would look like but to my surprise the green coolant lit up as a bright orange against the dull color of the bottle itself.

Pictures show it better than words. Scout on side stand for this. LED is just stuck into the frame gap on exhaust side, atop the frame bolt inside there.

The camera flash photo is the only one you can see the Full mark, with maybe a hint of dark green there. You probably wouldn't know it unless you had previous experience with the level.
I think when engine is warmed up it goes to the bend, maybe a little above, if I remember that right. Never seen it hot and filling the bottle anyway.
Oh, and the dark photo is with the Scout in a shed, lighter photo is under carport. And as others have said, movement makes it much easier to see and with this LED there it was way better doing that too!
IS_coolant-level_light.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,029 Posts
You had me returning to an idea I had about this after I got my Scout and had the same trouble seeing the level... which BTW, when Cold/Full it is all the way at the bottom of the viewport anyhow!

So I finally tried a proof of concept using an automotive LED (amber signal) I had sitting around and a switched AC wire that wasn't used anymore. (almost forgot to say: temporarily connected to accessory wire that's taped to harness and frame ground.)
I wasn't sure what it would look like but to my surprise the green coolant lit up as a bright orange against the dull color of the bottle itself.

Pictures show it better than words. Scout on side stand for this. LED is just stuck into the frame gap on exhaust side, atop the frame bolt inside there.

The camera flash photo is the only one you can see the Full mark, with maybe a hint of dark green there. You probably wouldn't know it unless you had previous experience with the level.
I think when engine is warmed up it goes to the bend, maybe a little above, if I remember that right. Never seen it hot and filling the bottle anyway.
Oh, and the dark photo is with the Scout in a shed, lighter photo is under carport. And as others have said, movement makes it much easier to see and with this LED there it was way better doing that too!
View attachment 487534
That’s a pretty ingenious idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,382 Posts
That’s a pretty ingenious idea
Hey, thanks! Simple too because when I was first thinking about it I was going to take one raw LED and apply a resistor to it. This time it occurred to me, what could be easier than using an automotive LED with complete circuitry for 12VDC already? And voila!
I think it would need a marine type push button or "momentary" switch to be successful, and also a dab of silicon sealant on the LED to waterproof it-- which obviously is meant to go into a lens housing because it has open holes.

Got to say, I really thought the amber color was going to darken the green coolant (more like brown?) instead of make it seemingly glow the same amber. I was going to try white or red if amber failed to improve the appearance, just not green. Although now I don't know what other colors would do!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts