Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received an "urgent recall" Notice Indianspeak for 'our lawyers told us to pucker up the ol' CYA about a 'trunk electrical wiring harness that may go bonkers in the rain.
This Notice was clearly thought up by nonriding lawyers. We old-school riders do not choose to ride in the rain unless caught in a downpour. Then most of us look to tuck under a freeway overpass.

·
Super Moderator
4,977 Posts
Received an "urgent recall" Notice Indianspeak for 'our lawyers told us to pucker up the ol' CYA about a 'trunk electrical wiring harness that may go bonkers in the rain.
This Notice was clearly thought up by nonriding lawyers. We old-school riders do not choose to ride in the rain unless caught in a downpour. Then most of us look to tuck under a freeway overpass.
This is one of several Service Bulletins as least for the 2017 models.. Contact your dealer if this has not been done.
So, is this an "urgent recall" or is this just a "service bulletin".??

Can you post a copy of this "urgent recall" @siRMonkey ??

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,645 Posts
So, is this an "urgent recall" or is this just a "service bulletin".??

Can you post a copy of this "urgent recall" @siRMonkey ??

It's a Safety Recall originally released in January and discussed on this thread https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/t...htsa-recall-campaign-number-18v055000.216726/

Here are some more detalis.

January 16, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V055000
Water in Wiring Harness may Keep Brake Light Lit
If the brake light remains illuminated when the brakes are not applied, a vehicle behind the motorcycle may not know when the motorcycle is actually slowing, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V055000
Manufacturer Indian Motorcycle Company
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 7,392
Summary
Indian Motorcycle Company (Indian) is recalling certain 2015-2017 Roadmaster motorcycles. Water may enter the trunk wiring harness, potentially causing the brake light to remain illuminated even when the brakes are not applied.
Remedy
Indian will notify owners, and dealers will replace the trunk wiring harness with an updated harness that contains sealing plugs in the connectors, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 30, 2018. Owners may contact Indian customer service at 1-877-204-3697. Indian's number for this recall is I-18-01.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
3 Affected Products
Vehicle
MAKE MODEL YEAR
INDIAN ROADMASTER 2015-2017

Attachments

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
anyone had this done yet that can take a pic of the new connector?...when I had my bike in to have it done, I also decided to replace the tire at the same time...when I got the bike back, the big connector that hangs under the trunk wasn't connected....wondering if they got started, got working on my tire and forgot......

·
Super Moderator
4,977 Posts
Changed the title of the thread to reflect the applicable recall notice.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a Safety Recall originally released in January and discussed on this thread https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/t...htsa-recall-campaign-number-18v055000.216726/

Here are some more detalis.

January 16, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V055000
Water in Wiring Harness may Keep Brake Light Lit
If the brake light remains illuminated when the brakes are not applied, a vehicle behind the motorcycle may not know when the motorcycle is actually slowing, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V055000
Manufacturer Indian Motorcycle Company
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 7,392
Summary
Indian Motorcycle Company (Indian) is recalling certain 2015-2017 Roadmaster motorcycles. Water may enter the trunk wiring harness, potentially causing the brake light to remain illuminated even when the brakes are not applied.
Remedy
Indian will notify owners, and dealers will replace the trunk wiring harness with an updated harness that contains sealing plugs in the connectors, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 30, 2018. Owners may contact Indian customer service at 1-877-204-3697. Indian's number for this recall is I-18-01.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
3 Affected Products
Vehicle
MAKE MODEL YEAR
INDIAN ROADMASTER 2015-2017
“.....replaced.....with sealing plugs....”
Long before the January Notice, I already wrapped the under-trunk harness in black vinyl electrical tape because I didn’t like the connector’s ‘open look’ to the wet elements. Sometimes one has to rise earlier than the Bean-counters.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I can get some rubber wrap used in the amateur radio filed to seal it with and will probably do so..better than electrical tape. I had already thought of this.....just wondering if anyone that had it done could post a pic so I could compare my connector to see if they actually did what they said they did at the dealer......lol. Like I said, I went in for that, ended up getting a new rear tire and when I got the bike back, that connector wasn't even connected together...so....it makes me wonder if they didn't get started, got sidetracked by doing the tire and then never did fix the harness / connector for the recall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts