Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Trunk relocation options 2023

1333 Views 30 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  BigBlueChief
I'm looking for options to move the trunk back on my 'Roadmaster' (2021 Chieftain Limited with factory trunk installed) to give the wife some extra space. I see that Rivco has a kit that changes out the chrome trunk supports, but it's pretty expensive ($300). Kuryakyn had an adjustable version that I think would be great but it appears they may have discontinued it? Heard mention of a kit from Ultimate Seats too, but I can't confirm whether that works with Roadmaster or only Challenger/Pursuit and whether it also moves the bags back.

Any other options appreciated... If anyone has the Kury kit and would take some measurements so I could custom-build my own that would be great too.

Thanks,
Rob
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
I would ask for an exchange as well I think.

One of the drawbacks of the Ultimate relocation (from what I've read on here), is it pushes the saddlebags outwards a bit. I've read that it's not much, but it does. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Ultimate, because we switch between the trunk and backrest depending on how far/long of a ride we're going on. So I'd have to buy (2) Rivco's, instead of (1) Ultimate.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
So I purchased the Rivco trunk relocation kit and while it looks in general like a good product, both of the new brackets have what appears to be a defect in the chrome in the same spot. It appears the chrome process didn't work right and each has a section of bare metal. Though it isn't in a very visible location I'm worried this will rust over time. The seller claims these are "manufacturing marks" and that it is normal and "all units of this part number will have these marks". That seems like a load of BS to me.

Take a look at these and give me your thoughts, please. Look at the center of the bend near the holes. I've included a cropped image zoomed in and circled too.

View attachment 724992 View attachment 724993 View attachment 724994
Odd for sure,if they send new ones and they are like that, just throw a touch of clear coat on em since you can’t see em anyway, I’ve even heard of people using clear nail polish as it’s usually already in the home. Me I would just use a little tape off and spray some primer and run em.

· Registered
2021 Indian Chieftain Limited
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Response from Rivco is that this situation is a flaw in the chroming process. They checked with their plating vendor. It is called 'whitewashing'. Given the location of the issue and that it doesn't affect function they feel it is acceptable to use, even if it is not expected. It is not a "manufacturing mark" and it is not expected normally. I still have a question out to them to confirm whether this 'whitewashed' section is any more susceptible to rusting. Depending on what I hear I will either keep these and install or return them unused. As long as they won't rust the flaw really doesn't bother me in the location it is.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Interestingly, the seller - Motomentum - claims that "all of these brackets have the same mark in the same place". I'm curious if anyone else with the Rivco trunk relocation brackets has noticed them?

· Registered
2 Posts
I would ask for an exchange as well I think.

One of the drawbacks of the Ultimate relocation (from what I've read on here), is it pushes the saddlebags outwards a bit. I've read that it's not much, but it does. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Ultimate, because we switch between the trunk and backrest depending on how far/long of a ride we're going on. So I'd have to buy (2) Rivco's, instead of (1) Ultimate.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I thought Rivco is only for relocating the seat and it won’t work on a sissy bar. I was thinking about the Ultimate Tall Boy also but their relocation kit looks sketchy to me and I’m not a fan of pushing my bags out more. Only option then is Rivco but I also like to switch to the sissy bar …

· Registered
243 Posts
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I thought Rivco is only for relocating the seat and it won’t work on a sissy bar. I was thinking about the Ultimate Tall Boy also but their relocation kit looks sketchy to me and I’m not a fan of pushing my bags out more. Only option then is Rivco but I also like to switch to the sissy bar …
It may be for just relocating the trunk, and not the backrest. Maybe someone could verify.
I'd prefer both be pushed back 1.5" or so.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The Rivco kit being referenced in this thread (IC010) is a new, longer set of trunk arm brackets. You remove the trunk, 'bumper' and other components from the stock brackets and then replace them with the longer brackets. If you're referring to a passenger backrest alone, that wouldn't be at all related to this Rivco kit. If you want to relocate a passenger backrest, and if the backrest attaches to the bike via spools on the bag mounts, then the Ultimate kit would probably work for that. The Ultimate kit relocates the spools. The Rivco kit uses the spools in the stock location and longer brackets to move the trunk. Neither does anything to the seat position.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts