Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Trunk relocation options 2023

1402 Views 30 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  BigBlueChief
I'm looking for options to move the trunk back on my 'Roadmaster' (2021 Chieftain Limited with factory trunk installed) to give the wife some extra space. I see that Rivco has a kit that changes out the chrome trunk supports, but it's pretty expensive ($300). Kuryakyn had an adjustable version that I think would be great but it appears they may have discontinued it? Heard mention of a kit from Ultimate Seats too, but I can't confirm whether that works with Roadmaster or only Challenger/Pursuit and whether it also moves the bags back.

Any other options appreciated... If anyone has the Kury kit and would take some measurements so I could custom-build my own that would be great too.

Thanks,
Rob
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
"Challenger and Chieftain/Roadmaster use the same rear end of the bike"

So just to clarify- the Challenger/Pursuit use the same stock trunk rails as the Roadie, and the RIVCO extension will fit either model? I'm considering swapping a RM for a Pursuit and would like to know...

TY

Bronze member
"Challenger and Chieftain/Roadmaster use the same rear end of the bike"

So just to clarify- the Challenger/Pursuit use the same stock trunk rails as the Roadie, and the RIVCO extension will fit either model? I'm considering swapping a RM for a Pursuit and would like to know...

TY

The mounting spool locations and spacing are identical. I am using my 2018 Chieftain Sissy bar on my challenger. Also, any of the chieftain roadmaster passenger foot pegs will also fit. The rear frame portion of the challenger is the same as the Chieftain and Roadmaster. The only thing that is not compatible are the seats.

Registered
2021 Indian Chieftain Limited
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or you could use this. Challenger Sissy Bar and Trunk Relocation Kit - rel92 (ultimateseats.ca)

Yes, I know it's for the challenger, but the Challenger and Chieftain/Roadmaster use the same rear end of the bike (same mounting spool location), and this will fit fine. It simply moves the spools back.
Being winter, I haven't seen the bike up close for a while... Are the spools also the bag mount locations? So does this move the bags back the same amount? I wouldn't think so, since the bags need to sit on the 'support' bars above the pipes, but I'm curious...

Bronze member
Being winter, I haven't seen the bike up close for a while... Are the spools also the bag mount locations? So does this move the bags back the same amount? I wouldn't think so, since the bags need to sit on the 'support' bars above the pipes, but I'm curious...

Yes, they are, but the kit allows for the bags to remain in the same position. Only the spools are moved aft.

Here is a video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Registered
I'm looking for options to move the trunk back on my 'Roadmaster' (2021 Chieftain Limited with factory trunk installed) to give the wife some extra space. I see that Rivco has a kit that changes out the chrome trunk supports, but it's pretty expensive ($300). Kuryakyn had an adjustable version that I think would be great but it appears they may have discontinued it? Heard mention of a kit from Ultimate Seats too, but I can't confirm whether that works with Roadmaster or only Challenger/Pursuit and whether it also moves the bags back.

Any other options appreciated... If anyone has the Kury kit and would take some measurements so I could custom-build my own that would be great too.

Thanks,
Rob
If you reread the tread posted here on rivco, I just di there鈥檚 on my 2022 roadmaster and posted some notes on that thread, long and short of it, it works great

Premium Member
Another vote for Rivco. Keeping a stock look was important for me and the Rivco kit simply extends the support arms for the trunk and utilizes all the other factory pieces. With some of the other cheaper kits, you lose the back bumper and it doesn't look right, in my opinion anyway.

If you're considering having your seat redone for you, any of the makers can add extra material to fill the gap created by moving the trunk back. Russell Day Long did mine and it looks perfect.
Bag Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Personal protective equipment Automotive design

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I certainly like the looks/concept of the Rivco kit, but the Ultimate Seats kit seems to accomplish the same thing (just in a different way) for less than half the cost and doesn't require the disassembly of the trunk components to swap the rails. Plus, I've seen comments that the Rivco set isn't great metal work/chrome. Am I missing any negatives of the Ultimate kit that would warrant the cost difference to go with the Rivco? Does the Ultimate kit introduce some 'flex' or play into things?

Registered
I certainly like the looks/concept of the Rivco kit, but the Ultimate Seats kit seems to accomplish the same thing (just in a different way) for less than half the cost and doesn't require the disassembly of the trunk components to swap the rails. Plus, I've seen comments that the Rivco set isn't great metal work/chrome. Am I missing any negatives of the Ultimate kit that would warrant the cost difference to go with the Rivco? Does the Ultimate kit introduce some 'flex' or play into things?
Seems you could try the cheaper kit easy enough and see if it鈥檚 heavy duty like stock or the Revco, to me, it looks a bit thin for the weight ratings of two up and luggage, but that鈥檚 me. I found zero issues with chrome quality, had that relocation kit on my 15 for three+ years before I sold the bike and removed it, and it looks brand new still.

Registered

Thanks,
Rob
I used the Rivco on my 2019 Roadmaster. It was easy to install and looks original. Made a big difference to my wife. I then followed up with a custom Corbin which I had extended to fill the gap. Looks Great.

Registered
I bought the rivco after trying the cheaper Kuryakyn brackets. The issue with the Kuryakyn style was that I lost the chrome grab handle on the back of the trunk. This in turn took away some strength and stability since the trunk is essentially abs plastic.

The rivco style keeps the grab handle and keeps the trunk from flexing in that region, not to mention some protection from inadvertently back into something.

Rivco was my choice and still running it today on my 19 Roadmaster.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I purchased the Rivco trunk relocation kit and while it looks in general like a good product, both of the new brackets have what appears to be a defect in the chrome in the same spot. It appears the chrome process didn't work right and each has a section of bare metal. Though it isn't in a very visible location I'm worried this will rust over time. The seller claims these are "manufacturing marks" and that it is normal and "all units of this part number will have these marks". That seems like a load of BS to me.

Take a look at these and give me your thoughts, please. Look at the center of the bend near the holes. I've included a cropped image zoomed in and circled too.

Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas Rim
Wood Tool Bumper Electric blue Fashion accessory
Automotive lighting Bumper Snout Automotive tire Auto part

1 - 20 of 31 Posts