Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys:

as some of you may know i bougth a 2019 Chieftaiin classic past june, im more than happy with it,

Most of the time im riding with my wife and to make her more comfortable im looking into adding a trunk, i already got the quick release trunk base but have some doubts i hope someone can help to clear.

I read somewhere on the forum that you need to change the spool and screws for "hardened" ones, how`s that or where should i purchase them? i got a part list from my dealer for what i would need and one of those is the "trunk installation kit" part # 2884007, wich from what i can see it includes some spools and bushes but no screws.

Im worried if i donthave the "hardened" ones i may risk my wifes life in case the weight might broke the spools or screws and make her fall off the bike

Any experience you can share?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
366 Posts
following this thread, as I just ordered an quick detach trunk mount for my 2019 Chieftain (new style) this is the first I'm hearing about a hardened spool. I ride solo, but still don't what to lose my stuff or damage my bike and/or cause an accident behind me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the thread, It says stainless spools and screws

·
Registered
143 Posts
The screws are exactly the same on the 2019 roadmaster and other hard bag models(chieftain and springfield). And the part number for the spools is now the exact same too. Per indians website, a 2019(and 2020) roadmaster currently has 2 spools parts numbers, one says up "to 2/28/2020" the second says "from 2/28/2020." The second part number is the exact same as the chieftain part number(it's actually the exact same number for all 2019 models, chief vintage with leather bags included). So you shouldn't need any "hardened" parts of anything, roadmaster comes with the trunk and now exact same parts for spools and screws.

I've also seen plenty here add trunks without getting any specific spools, outside of pre-2019 chiefs and chief vintages cause they had smaller spools(but even then seen bushings to just increase the outside diameter without changing the spools). Never seen anything about broken spools or screws though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts