Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the package with the strut kit the other day and decided to install them today. This is a very good kit with good instructions. I would recommend that you check to make sure that all the pieces are included in the packages. There is a parts list included. The brackets are not a piece of metal bent in a vice with a hammer. They are cnc machined and look great. Think of them as professionally manufactured parts. They are made of aluminum and are bead blasted. They would look look fine if put on that way, but I painted them flat black.
The instructions come with pictures and are easy to follow. There is one step that states you might need a tap to clean out some threads. (It is threads for the screw that hold the passenger back rest that bolts onto the trunk) I have a Corbin seat and I did not need to tap it out. Also on the Corbin seat I used the screws that I took out of this location. (It comes with new hardware for everything) The screws in the kit for this part were too long. I'm not sure if a factory seat would have to be tapped. All this is explained in the instructions.
I put a dab of grease on the ball socket that the struts attach to.
It says it will take about an hour to install the kit. It took me about that amount of time. I also cleaned up the parts I took off and also the front of the trunk while it was apart.
I included a picture of one side done and the other without the strut and ball sockets installed.

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,774 Posts
I installed mine as well.
Great product!

The instructions say to remove the lumbar pad and speaker grills. I have the passenger armrests installed. In order to remove the speaker grills, the armrests would have to be removed. But I found that you can simply remove the grill bolts and move it a little, and it gives just barely enough room to get to the bolts.

Simple install without modifying anything beyond the point you can revert to the stock setup. Not that there's any reason to. Great job with these struts!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I installed mine yesterday. easy peasy . But it ended up costing me more money. Might as well upgrade rear speakers while the covers were off:)
nice product and well explained

·
Bronze member
1,510 Posts
I installed mine yesterday. easy peasy . But it ended up costing me more money. Might as well upgrade rear speakers while the covers were off:)
nice product and well explained
I was thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Bronze member
1,283 Posts
Very easy install and a quality job of making the parts and kit. Directions very clear and no confusion at all!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys! I am glad you like the kits.

I now have kits in stock ready for immediate shipping if you know anyone else that would be interested.

Dave

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys! I am glad you like the kits.

I now have kits in stock ready for immediate shipping if you know anyone else that would be interested.

Dave
Very easy install and a quality job of making the parts and kit. Directions very clear and no confusion at all!
I must be the dumb one because I questioned installing the bracket on top of existing screws but I was assured that's the way to install them. I painted my flat black as well. Mine looks just like the one above except I have the addition of an ⅛ of an inch of dust. Proving that not only do I ride but that I don't clean what can't normally be seen which made me really question painting the brackets. I think since it's cold I'll fire up the heater and dust my inner trunk. Or not.:rolleyes::):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Installed mine today. Unfortunately, one of my passenger armrest bolts is rounded out:

So, I had to scrounge around in my toolbox. Fortunately, being an Armament tech, I have several different tools to access 10mm bolts:

Also unfortunately, given that I was using such a small wrench, it was inevitable that I would drop it into the speaker enclosure. So, once again, scrounging in my toolbox yielded some safety wire, and I was able to fish it out.

The struts work great, and as an added bonus, the Kuryakyn passenger cupholder does not interfere with the closing of the trunk with the struts installed.

Pretty sure that I am going to have to remove the trunk from the mount to get that top bolt out, since it will probably require cutting a slot with a Dremel, or drilling the head and using an easy-out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,283 Posts
We do know how to make things work, custom tools are always needed!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just got mine today and have to honestly say Dave did an excellent job and a true favor to all us tour pak users. And what’s really interesting is my trunk closes easier now than before. I used to have to push down on the lid to get the latch the catch. With the new struts installed I can gently drop the lid and she latches which is really nice. And when you open her up you don’t have the trunk lid going too far into the passenger seat area. Thanks Dave for immediate shipping and your support. If you can think of any other ingenuity that would be great.
49467B99-45F1-413D-AB84-81DE454B036C.jpeg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts