Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there install the Freedom true dual header pipes on their Chief and if so, how do you feel about 'em ? How do they affect HP, torque, MPG etc. Worth it ?
Thanks in advance, Ride safe and Good luck All.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,919 Posts
Anybody out there install the Freedom true dual header pipes on their Chief and if so, how do you feel about 'em ? How do they affect HP, torque, MPG etc. Worth it ?
Thanks in advance, Ride safe and Good luck All.
Yes, and love them. I don't think that the pipes alone add any more power, maybe even lose a little? Mine are pared with an S&S A/C, and PCV, tuned on a dyno by Jim Sabin here in Dallas. All those added single numbers HP and torque, but the bike runs better and much cooler.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Will they (it?) bolt directly to the stock mufflers? Due to financial constraints my upgrades will be one at a time (PVCX on order) and am thinking about the true duals to eliminate the heat from the cat as the next mod. If so, what is the impact on sound? Also, will a proper tune address any loss of torque? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I do not have an Indian yet but have been reading the forum for 2 months now. Those pipes are discussed many times and all your questions can be answered by a simple search and also at the bottom of this page, very convenient the way similar threads is set up below.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Some of my information may be out of date or incomplete... I own a set though. They require some slight adapting to make them look good and fit with various (non Freedom) muffler systems. They sell a cone shield adapter to blend them in (cover the joints). With stock or OEM mufflers these adapters are used, then screws are used to attach a portion of the adapter cones. You can now purchase the duals 'bare', or as a part of a total exhaust system.

·
Founding Member
1,966 Posts
I have them with stage one flash, and Indian performance intake. No real perceptible change in power, maybe a little less torque, but right side is much cooler and they sound way better.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Freedom Performance does sell just headers............just so you know. I did duals with the sharktails mainly to get rid of CC, and temp went way down, I have stage 2 with the duals, it sounds good, without being ridiculous, and I notice a little less torque on low end.............nothing drastic, and can easily be adapted to. People tell me it sounds great all of the time, so hope that helps.

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
595 Posts
Yes. I got the sound I wanted because of these headers. Also paired with Indian cams, V&H turdown muffler, the new Indian performance intake and PVCX. Highly recommend those headers. No gain in power in low-mid range, likely a slight loss in torque. But sound + cooled right side is worth it.

·
Founding member
1,085 Posts
I went with Rush head pipes and Rush Warhorse mufflers with 2.25 baffles.

I also have the Indian performance air cleaner and Indian flash.

No cams or tuner. Love the sound and less heat.

I lost a bit of torque and my dealer recommended a tuner.

Maybee next Social Security check!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went with Rush head pipes and Rush Warhorse mufflers with 2.25 baffles.

I also have the Indian performance air cleaner and Indian flash.

No cams or tuner. Love the sound and less heat.

I lost a bit of torque and my dealer recommended a tuner.

Maybee next Social Security check!
Assuming those are true duals if you lost low end torque. I was considering rush when I buy and was trying to compare them to the Freedom duals if anyone can add to that. Looking at both brands.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the FP headers with the Vance & Hines Turndowns. Heat is definitely much less, and some torque loss. My only issues are bike sounds like a J-Brake on decel, and FP mufflers cover cones will not work with V&H turndowns.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I went with the Freedom Performance True Duals, a K&N High Flow filter, and tuned at the Indian dealership. Getting rid of the catalytic converter definitely reduced the heat on the right side and the true duals are much louder than factory exhaust. However, when I let off the throttle, the sound of my exhaust is more of a puffing sound instead of a rumble. I am not sure if my bike was not tuned properly or I if need to install a different air cleaner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.