Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to test the grip itself? I know how to shoot through the wiring harness to check for shorted or open wires, just haven't had the time to do it yet, and I don't want to drop $123 for a new grip on Cheap Cycle Parts if that is not going to solve the problem.

I installed KST Apache bars last November, with Rox Risers. Went for a ride today after installing the battery, and the R/H grip is not heating up. Left hand grip heats up just fine, the console switch works properly to change the heat level and shut the grips off, and the pop-up on the Ride Command screen works properly, as does the display page with the heat level on it. I also swapped the connectors behind the headlight, and the left grip still heated up normally when connected to the right hand grip connector, which leads be to believe that the wires are all good.

At this point, I think there is something wrong with the grip itself. I pulled the grip off and verified that it was connected, put everything back together, but it still did not work.

·
German Rider
1,666 Posts
Maybe with an Ohm Meter (resistance). Check at the connector of wach GRIP and verify right to left.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe with an Ohm Meter (resistance). Check at the connector of wach GRIP and verify right to left.

Cu,
Sven
Only issue with that is that there are 4 wires coming out of the grip, and I have no idea what the correct reading should be, or even if I should be getting continuity through the grip.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Only issue with that is that there are 4 wires coming out of the grip, and I have no idea what the correct reading should be, or even if I should be getting continuity through the grip.

Take ohm readings from the working grip and compare?
--- Randall

·
German Rider
1,666 Posts
S

According to Site 644 in Service Manual, there should be 3 wires on one side and 2 wires on the other side on a 2017 Roadmaster. Wires coming from the center console.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Have you disconnected the grip at the switch block to check what's happening to each wire in the connector when you cycle the heat selector?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S

According to Site 644 in Service Manual, there should be 3 wires on one side and 2 wires on the other side on a 2017 Roadmaster. Wires coming from the center console.

Cu,
Sven
Each grip has a 4-pin connector that connects to the wire harness that runs through the bars. The harness connects to a connector on each side of the headlight that I presume goes to the switch and VCU.
Have you disconnected the grip at the switch block to check what's happening to each wire in the connector when you cycle the heat selector?
The only troubleshooting that I did was to plug the left grip harness into the right grip connector to see if it would heat up. It did, so all the wiring from the VCU and switch, up to the connector on the main harness, is good. The right grip, plugged into the left connector, still did not heat up. So, by process of elimination, it is either the right grip, or the harness that runs through the bars. I am going to ring out the wires in the harness this coming weekend. If they check out, then it is the grip.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE #1: pulled the grip and tested the wire harness running through the bars, all the wires have continuity. Plugged the grip directly into the bike-size harness (bypassing the harness that runs through the bars) and turned the grips up to 10. Grip still did not heat up. So, bad grip.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,608 Posts
Is there any way to test the grip itself? I know how to shoot through the wiring harness to check for shorted or open wires, just haven't had the time to do it yet, and I don't want to drop $123 for a new grip on Cheap Cycle Parts if that is not going to solve the problem.

I installed KST Apache bars last November, with Rox Risers. Went for a ride today after installing the battery, and the R/H grip is not heating up. Left hand grip heats up just fine, the console switch works properly to change the heat level and shut the grips off, and the pop-up on the Ride Command screen works properly, as does the display page with the heat level on it. I also swapped the connectors behind the headlight, and the left grip still heated up normally when connected to the right hand grip connector, which leads be to believe that the wires are all good.

At this point, I think there is something wrong with the grip itself. I pulled the grip off and verified that it was connected, put everything back together, but it still did not work.
One thing to be careful of. The heated grips need a notch at the end of the bars for clearance of where the wires come out of the heated grips. Look at your original bars to see what I am talking about. Without that notch the wires could easily become damaged or short out. My Dirtybjrd Stampede bars did not have this and I had to modify them to make this work. Dean

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
UPDATE #1: pulled the grip and tested the wire harness running through the bars, all the wires have continuity. Plugged the grip directly into the bike-size harness (bypassing the harness that runs through the bars) and turned the grips up to 10. Grip still did not heat up. So, bad grip.

That's not nice. It's a sure thing they won't sell them singly.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so...I got the new grip in the mail today. However, it does not come with the chrome end cap. Can I pull the one off my stock grip and put it on the new grip? Do they just pry out?

·
German Rider
1,666 Posts
According to the parts Diagramm it looks like that they just pry out. Can't say for sure, due to the 2018 are different - no screw, only glued, no end cap, closed grip.

Medium.png

Cu,
Sven

1 - 14 of 14 Posts