Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, heading out to Gettysburg tomorrow morning for 3 days or so. I'm curious to know if there is anything that is a must see while I'm there? Suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Rider
385 Posts
Be prepared to spend a day or two just walking some of the various battlefields at Gettysburg, and the cemeteries, getting a feel for what happened there so many years ago. So much national history there. Maybe others have more specifics.
It's a holy place ......

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went about 30 years ago. I purchased a private tour from the parks department. Money well spent! The gentleman was very knowledgeable and did a great job helping us picture the lay out of the land 150 years ago. He pointed out old RR beds and explained how they made great defensive positions. Also, pointed other embankments that were made during the battle and very hard to see 150 years later. Just to name a few.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The self guided audio tour is nice and takes a few hours if I remember correctly. Been a while since I been there but they did remodel the visitors center a while back and I think it has an auditorium now. They have rangers and notable speakers come in for lectures. Some of them you can find on YouTube. They provide information and perspectives you probably won’t find in many books.
If you have time Antitam and Harpers Ferry are not far away
Hope Mother Nature is your friend. 🙂

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. The weather doesn't look great but we will do our best to see as much as possible. It's a rain or shine trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bring a mask. Also it’s a huge tourist area so watch out for the pedestrians and the damn bicyclists. They don’t stop at traffic signals. Just an FYI. The self guide tour is easy to do. And well worth the trip. Lots of shops to visit. Again tourism is their life blood. Go early in the morning on the tour. Less traffic and the heat will be tolerable. It was 89 degrees today with High humidity. The is a Harley Dealer called Battlefield Harley. Also check our Battlefield Leathers. The guy that runs it is named Tim. He has really good prices on riding gear. Also check out Appalachian Brewing Company. Good food and tons of draft beers. They have 2 stores. One by Gettysburg Harley and the other just outside of town on Emmitsburg Road. There are also some Micro Brews in the Square area. Have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bring a mask. Also it’s a huge tourist area so watch out for the pedestrians and the damn bicyclists. They don’t stop at traffic signals. Just an FYI. The self guide tour is easy to do. And well worth the trip. Lots of shops to visit. Again tourism is their life blood. Go early in the morning on the tour. Less traffic and the heat will be tolerable. It was 89 degrees today with High humidity. The is a Harley Dealer called Battlefield Harley. Also check our Battlefield Leathers. The guy that runs it is named Tim. He has really good prices on riding gear. Also check out Appalachian Brewing Company. Good food and tons of draft beers. They have 2 stores. One by Gettysburg Harley and the other just outside of town on Emmitsburg Road. There are also some Micro Brews in the Square area. Have fun and enjoy.
Sounds great...thank you

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ahhh $hit! I should have gone there. The Wife and I took a road trip to Lancaster last week, I had no idea Gettysburg was that close until I looked at Google Maps.

·
Rider
691 Posts
I was there in 2015 took the guided tour. Well worth it sorry I didn’t stop at the flight 93 memorial. Went to the Antietam Battle field the next day.

·
Bronze member
1,127 Posts
I drove around and walked around the town the night before, to get orientated. Go into the information cemter. Line up for a one on one Park Ramger guide. well worth $50, some of these guys are major Civil War authors. I bought the guide a starbucks before and after the tour and he went over the time and stopped at the most poignant places on the battlefield. Plenty time to take some photos . Some good museums around the town worth the entrance fees. Enjoy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Once you've spent the day at the battlefields, head to a couple of my favorite watering holes. The Farnsworth house on Baltimore street has great history as well as food and drink. The actors from the movie Gettysburg would frequent this place, and ask the bar maid to show you the ghosts on the cooler doors...Freaky! Then go to the circle in town, hit the Pub on the corner, a great bar with copper ceiling and bar, again great food. Walk around, theirs a lot of cool stores...

·
Rider
630 Posts
Gettysburg should be a mandatory place to visit for all incoming people who want to be citizens of this country. I’ve been twice and am taking my 12 year old the end of this month for his birthday. He’s been asking for years and he’s finally at an age where it’ll fully sink in. There’s many a feeling one experiences while visiting here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello folks, heading out to Gettysburg tomorrow morning for 3 days or so. I'm curious to know if there is anything that is a must see while I'm there? Suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Dobbin House Tavern pretty cool place to eat

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks
There's a lot to see. if you get the chance go on one of the better ghost walks. Quite a few good restaurants, if you're a history buff it's the place to go, A lot of nice rides around the area also. Try ride up through Caledonia State Park, it's not a long ride but it's nice. I lived in the area for 15 years, many nice places to see.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mission complete! What an amazing place. Gettysburg is a special place of American history and should never be forgotten. Lots of emotions go through your body standing in the middle of the battlefields. Loved every minute of it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts