Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six months ago, my wife said she wanted to hike in Zion NP on her 60th birthday. We talked another couple into doing on our bikes and the trip was on. Then COVID-19 came along and things were up in the air quite a bit. But thing started opening up just enough to say "let's go". To make it even better, I flew 15 family and friends out to Utah to throw her a surprise party and it came off great.

Here's a a few pics of the hundreds we took. Over 11 days, we covered 3,300 miles. Only 1 day with no riding. A few long days (getting out of and then back into Texas). The heart of the trip, when in scenic country, we did about 250 miles a day. From the TX hill country, worked our way to Amarillo, then Taos, Durango, Moab, Escalante, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Horseshoe Bend (AZ), Monument Valley, and Santa Fe.

Great weather for the most part. Had to sit out a sandstorm then lighting in Lubbock. Heavy winds (30-40mph gusts) in parts of UT and NM. That was tough on the twisties. But only rain drops for 5 minutes.

My Roadmaster performed flawlessly. Thought I had a front suspension issue in Utah but it turned out to be the softest tar snakes I ever felt. A really bad shimmy on twisties. Not fun.

Very interesting to see the different levels of lockdown. TX is pretty open. NM is very lock-downed - no dine in, no retail, curfews, etc. CO gradually opening (but Silverton wouldn't let non residents enter town). UT closer to TX. No problems getting lodging, but we had to eat most meals at our hotels. Only 4 meals in restaurants over 11 days.

Bryce Canyon

Moab - Hwy 128 and sunset

Zion NP

Monument Valley

Horseshoe Bend

My wife, what a trooper. Never complained, always ready to get back on the bike.

Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
Congratulations, beautiful bike, looks like a great trip!

Premium Member
2021 Roadmaster Icon
Great choice of destinations! We have ridden most of those places many times over the past decade and are going to hit most of them again in a couple of months. Thanks for the report and happy birthday to the Mrs!

Founding member / Distinguished
Thanks for posting! Looks like an awesome trip and you both had a blast. Happy Birthday to your wife!

Reactions: astepatatime

Administrator
Excellent ride review and report 鈥 thx for posting! Julie and I will be flyin鈥 to Zion on our annual RTE next weekend and it was nice to get a scouting report in advance. The state-by-state report on how open / closed the restaurants etc are is invaluable.

Kudos!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Julie and I will be flyin鈥 to Zion on our annual RTE next weekend and it was nice to get a scouting report in advance.
@HINK We stayed in Hurricane at an AirBnB and didn't eat out much while there. But I can tell you that in other cities in UT, restaurants were open, doing the 25% limit thing. Springdale was pretty empty but looked like places were open. No fees to go into Zion NP, which was a bonus.

Premium Member
@astepatatime Your route is pretty much what is on my wife's bucket list. But, I think it will be a future summer. Thanks for the report.

Safe riding.

Reactions: astepatatime
1 - 12 of 12 Posts