Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is against the rules, will someone message me with some answers in stead of just deleting it? Anyway at the end of May, my Wife tripped and fell and trashed her right foot, 4 1/2 hour surgery with pins screws plates and wires.She has a few more weeks before the Doc feels he can release her to do what she like to do best, that is ride her Chieftain. She was thinking that if this is not going heal correctly, she wants to go trike. Does any one know what Polaris recommends as far as a trike conversion? That is if they recommend someone.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
Polaris won't themselves recommend doing any kind of trike conversion. This is for liability and warranty issues. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't. There are 3 or 4 good trike kit companies and you just need to locate your nearest dealer/installer.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd also suggest reading through the "Sidecars and Trailer Conversions" sub-forum, as there are a few Indian trike owners that post and have info.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
There is CSC (California Sidecar Company), Motor Trike and Roadsmith to name a few. You can do a Google search and find their websites and dealer lists as well as some dealer websites.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
An alternative to a trike.

Reactions: TheBru

·
Silver member
4,518 Posts
An alternative to a trike.
Man those things are ugly, just as ugly as those CanAm things out there. Sorry, but they are.

I second the California Side Car option. Haven't triked my bike yet, but thinking going that way if I can't hold it up any longer due to age, infirmities, laziness, etc. Saw them set up at a booth at Black Hills Harley during the Sturgis bike week. They had an Indian Chief, a Harley Road King and a Honda Goldwing all triked out. They looked great. They also had one Indian Chief Vintage set up with a side car. Now that looked real cool. Not sure which way I'd go now, triking or side carring if and when the time comes. Either way, California Side Car here I come....ROADTRIP!!!!

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
This is another option. And from what I've seen, way cheaper.

BD

Reactions: 120496

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Another option is the bolt-on conversion kits that add two rear wheels. They are much cheaper and removable but they get some criticism from the purists. A mate of mine put a kit like this on his HD when an ankle injury forced him off the bike.

Do a web search for outrigger or ghost wheels and you'll get a bunch of links. This is an example.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
Man those things are ugly, just as ugly as those CanAm things out there. Sorry, but they are.

I second the California Side Car option. Haven't triked my bike yet, but thinking going that way if I can't hold it up any longer due to age, infirmities, laziness, etc. Saw them set up at a booth at Black Hills Harley during the Sturgis bike week. They had an Indian Chief, a Harley Road King and a Honda Goldwing all triked out. They looked great. They also had one Indian Chief Vintage set up with a side car. Now that looked real cool. Not sure which way I'd go now, triking or side carring if and when the time comes. Either way, California Side Car here I come....ROADTRIP!!!!
Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Huge plus with the TMW kit is you can still lean into the turns. Side car and trike? Nope. I would also be very wary of a side car on an aluminum framed bike where the engine is used as a frame member. JMHO

·
Registered
16 Posts
If this is against the rules, will someone message me with some answers in stead of just deleting it? Anyway at the end of May, my Wife tripped and fell and trashed her right foot, 4 1/2 hour surgery with pins screws plates and wires.She has a few more weeks before the Doc feels he can release her to do what she like to do best, that is ride her Chieftain. She was thinking that if this is not going heal correctly, she wants to go trike. Does any one know what Polaris recommends as far as a trike conversion? That is if they recommend someone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One of the very best in the business of converting bikes to trikes is Clarks Trikes and Bikes in Clarks Nebraska.
308-548-2228.
Owner is straight up and very honest.
He has done bikes and trikes all over the US.
About 30 miles west of Columbus, Nebraska.
Give them a call and they will be able answer your questions.
I bought my Roadmaster through them
Moose

·
Silver member
4,518 Posts
Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Huge plus with the TMW kit is you can still lean into the turns. Side car and trike? Nope. I would also be very wary of a side car on an aluminum framed bike where the engine is used as a frame member. JMHO
Oh yes I'm aware of the dynamics regarding the style of turning with the trike and sidecar options. But for those who need to have the conversions to continue riding I have no objections and they have my total and undying support. But for someone to have one just because it's a little different, like one of those Slingshots, or a CanAms. I'm like dude, just get a convertible. Yes I do know that I have a different angle on things.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
Oh yes I'm aware of the dynamics regarding the style of turning with the trike and sidecar options. But for those who need to have the conversions to continue riding I have no objections and the have my total and undying support. But for someone to have one just because is a little different, like one of those Slingshots, or a CanAm. I'm like dude, just get a convertible. Yes I do know that I have a different angle on things.
TMW is the best of both worlds IMHO and I agree on the slingsnots(it's a car) and CanAms. Not for me.

Reactions: A-58
1 - 14 of 14 Posts