Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

We are running a Summer sale on our AK20 cartridge kits! Our AK20 cartridges have over 10 years of development, hundreds of podiums on the racetrack. Despite the racing heritage, we have installed them in several thousand Goldwings and Harleys, as well as hundreds of cruisers, sport touring bikes, etc. This is the same quality AK20 cartridge that goes in the race bikes, sprung and valved and custom setup for the Indian Scout. We got our hands on a Scout for r&d, and the AK20s transform the bike, improving handling, brake dive, bump absorption, etc.

The AK20s are fully adjustable, with caps for preload, rebound and compression damping. Normally they are $1299.95, but during our Summer sale, they are $999.95, custom valved and sprung for your weight and riding style. Installation is a little tricky, since we are going from an old school damper rod fork, so we recommend you send the forks in to us for installation. We charge $225, including new seals and a full rebuild. If you happen to have a lathe at home, or a handy with a bench grinder even, we can send you the kit and instructions.

What we found with the rear shocks was surprising. There is very little stroke, and almost no rebound, so when you hit a bump it rebounds immediately, bouncing you out of the seat with a clunk. We didn't see much benefit with going to a an aftermarket shock with so little stroke, but with a simple revalve, they work surprisingly well. We added some rebound damping to get rid of the clunk, and some compression damping to keep it from hitting the bump stops all the time, and it ends up working way better than it should. We were all surprised how well it works. The shock itself is a decent Kayaba unit, it is just the setup that is so bad. $300 for the full rebuild and revalve, and we will give you a full refund if you aren't blown away.

I'm not able to keep up with PMs on forums, so please email me directly at [email protected]

cheers!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hard to not give consideration to a $300 rear shock revalve. I only have a little bit more than 2 months of riding season left so I just might need to be patient. Unless Progressive comes out with a 444/430/412 version shock, the cheapest option is a $580 Ikon set. I am going on a 7 day vacation next week, so maybe I could reduce down time and send some shocks in next week?? I think a phone call is in order. Damn !!!!! :)

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Hard to not give consideration to a $300 rear shock revalve. I only have a little bit more than 2 months of riding season left so I just might need to be patient. Unless Progressive comes out with a 444/430/412 version shock, the cheapest option is a $580 Ikon set. I am going on a 7 day vacation next week, so maybe I could reduce down time and send some shocks in next week?? I think a phone call is in order. Damn !!!!! :)
Troop, what did you end up doing back in August?
If you posted about this I didn't get to read it I guess?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Troop, what did you end up doing back in August?
If you posted about this I didn't get to read it I guess?
Had it done. Well worth the cost. Much better compression, rebound and control. Totally different shock absorbers.

·
10,006 Posts
Had it done. Well worth the cost. Much better compression, rebound and control. Totally different shock absorbers.
Thanks, I guess I should get off my ass and get it done.
I'm tired of my tailbone aching just going to the next town 20 miles away!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Thanks, I guess I should get off my ass and get it done.
I'm tired of my tailbone aching just going to the next town 20 miles away!
I had a good conversation with Dan Anderson at Traxxion about the stock KYB shock. Traxxion's thought is that it isn't a bad shock, just poor internal design. Traxxion is also a JRi/Ohlins dealer and he still recommended the rebuild. Much smoother compression and rebound stroke. Dare I say the ride is a bit plusher, but the suspension geometry still has its limitations for any shock. Great improvement for the $$.

·
10,006 Posts
Dare I say the ride is a bit plusher, but the suspension geometry still has its limitations for any shock. Great improvement for the $$
Are you saying that us 'heavier' guys might still bottom out? :(

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Not at all... Just about the short stroke/limited travel the Scout geometry allows. They'll valve it and set it up for your weight. Give them a call and talk to Dan. Very informative.

·
10,006 Posts
Not at all... Just about the short stroke/limited travel the Scout geometry allows. They'll valve it and set it up for your weight. Give them a call and talk to Dan. Very informative.
OK thanks! :)

·
10,006 Posts
RBinTEX traxxion dynamics is money well spent I got ever penny back when I traded my scout for a chieftain.
Couldn't I just trade for a chieftain and save the money? LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts