Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Rider
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crew and I (5 this time) try to go on a nice long ride about every three years or so. This time the complications with traveling are on our mind. But we are still planning on leaving from Iowa and traveling to the Tenn.., Virginia, Kentucky area. Some Blue Ridge Parkway riding, Tail of the Dragon, etc. Any members on here with particular advice? Could we have any problems in this area? i.e., sitting down for food, hotel accomodations, quarnenteening, etc. We anly manage to get our schedules together rarely and we hate to cancel this trip which starts next week. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not too certain what I could guarantee, but three of us did a similar trip back in late May/early June and found that the hotels were not a problem, Eating during the day was sketchy, walking through the drive thru...standing under a tree, you catch the drift Evening meals were usually a decent, seldom a "chain" affair...had to wear masks into the eatery, but once in, could take them off....I guess the only missing item was the socializing...with other people, we found that 99% of all of it was mostly amongst ourselves.
I would try to be certain of your Hotel accommodations ,
don't worry too much about eating during the day, just snack, walk thru a drive through, and try to stay with your 'crew' as much as possible.
But mostly....have a blast!

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I would go. Sounds like this trip is important to you and who knows when this Covid issue will be over? So long as we can freely ride, hotels are open, and food and fuel are available, there is nothing preventing us. My brother left Columbia SC yesterday for Sturgis and made it to Indiana last night with no issues. He did make hotel reservations in advance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was in the Blue Ridge/ Dragon area in late June for 4 days; had no problems with restaurants or hotels. Restaurants are limiting capacity, but we ate inside when we stopped

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you dont have reservations. In place, its gonna be a pain, everthing else can be dealt with. But after a long days ride, you want to st a motel/hotel, and not be searching in unknown areas for a room. Jmho. Lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
Strangely we only had trouble finding a place to eat in southwest VA off of I81 a few weeks ago. We're from NoVA area and it was more open up here than it was down there. Stayed in Pigeon Forge area and had no issues. I saw more people with masks on in TN than I did with VA.

·
Bronze member
2,268 Posts
I’m in the same boat...got a trip planned In Sept. from GA...riding around Lake Michigan. Don’t know if I’ll go or not. Same concerns...restaurants and hotels.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We were going to Ohio around Labor Day but cancelled that trip due to ongoing concerns. Ohio is one of the states that my wife's work has said that they would need a test and to quarantine for so many days afterwards. We thought about that and basically said it's none of their business where we go but decided in the end to stay in state instead.

·
Bronze member
1,393 Posts
Got back two weeks ago from a trip through Idaho, Montana , ND, SD and WY. The smaller the city we stayed in, the harder food was to get. In Red Lodge, the only option was take out, which wasn't a problem. Hotels are open but may not have their morning breakfast setup. Ate lunch at gas stations, so take that for what it's worth. Most places we went to had about 75% mask wearing vs. not.

Reactions: RedChieftain

·
Registered
523 Posts
Might be a great time to go with most staying home. Pack some energy snacks in case food is an issue along the way, some water. Have a fantastic trip.
Just don't wear a mask while riding, seriously I have seen people wearing masks while driving alone. What a fu world.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I predominately stay at Hampton Inns and the breakfast situation is totally variable depending the franchise owner. The one in Farmville was totally pathetic. I've had some where they actually served you and some that had packaged breakfasts. Not sure what it's like in other hotel chains.. On the plus side I'm finding the hotel stays are much cheaper than normal.

·
Founding member
911 Posts
Great input! We got back to southeast Texas a couple of weeks ago after a trip to Colorado. About 1300 miles each way. We set up hotels ahead of time to be sure we had a place. Restaurants were open and seating was spaced out. I say GO!!! As others have said, who knows when this will end, you'll get a little better hotel rates, there are places to eat and PEOPLE NEED THE BUSINESS! You'll also have a Covid trip under your belt to reflect on and talk about. :) Best of luck and enjoy.

·
Rider
1,162 Posts
I'm planning a Roadtrip in 2 weeks from Houston to San Diego

calling it my West Coast Corona Roadtrip

I'm leaving at 2am on a Friday and driving 15 hours to Tucson - I already booked a hotel room, so we're good 🤘🏼

right now, if you book hotel rooms, you can cancel within 24 hours of check-in with no penalties...

·
Senior member / rider
966 Posts
I would also reschedule. Maybe 2021. My wife and I were planning a two week vacation in late May, early June. West Virginia, Virginia, Nashville, Muscle Shoals, maybe even Memphis for our 30th anniversary. Even now there’s no way I’d do hotels, motels, diners, etc. It simply isn’t worth it at this point. Oh well, maybe our 31st?

·
Rider
848 Posts
Go, go, go ! ! !

If you're planning to stop anywhere near Maggie Valley, NC (close the Blue Ridge, Tail, etc.) look up the Holiday Motel. A bunch of us stayed there back in June and Rob & Gabi (owners) are great people and very bike friendly. The restaurant next door does a pretty decent breakfast, too.

You could then also plan a walk through of The Wheels Through Time museum.

BD

·
Registered
471 Posts
My wife and returned last weekend from a trip through eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina which included the Dragon/Cherohala loop. We didn't have problems finding open restaurants though maybe half were take-out only. We rented a home in the area through VRBO to serve as the base of our operations, but also considered hotels which were open and taking reservations. We had no problems getting fuel. We even found a couple of gas stations selling ethanol-free 93 octane at low prices.

NC has an executive order in place for face coverings in public places of business. Take a mask with you and you'll be fine.

The week before we were in Wisconsin, riding and visiting family. Getting there we traveled through GA, TN, IN, and IL. Same deal - we found places to eat and mask requirements. We stayed with family in WI, so I can't attest to hotels there, but other people in the group stayed at a hotel nearby. I can't speak to Virginia and Kentucky as we didn't travel through either of those states.

We anly manage to get our schedules together rarely and we hate to cancel this trip which starts next week.
We had a great 10 day trip on the bikes with the only negatives being horrible road construction around Chattanooga and having a thunderstorm dump an aquarium on us as we were finishing up the Cherohala Skyway. I'll have memories of the trip for the rest of my life. If we had not gone, I would have missed a random roadside "Ship Rock" in Wisconsin, the Wildcat Mountain Park overlook in the driftless area of Wisconsin, making my wife ride down muddy gravel roads near the Natahala gorge, thunderstorms (not long after this picture) on the Skyway, and I would have been 50 years old before riding the dragon for the first time. We also met a bunch of wonderful people in our travels.

Some will say "You could have waited until next year and enjoyed the same trip".
I could also be hit and killed by a dump truck on my way to work tomorrow. As the Doors said, "No one here gets out alive". If I let fear-mongers dictate my life to me, I would never have started riding. ShipRock.jpg WildcatMountainOverlook.JPG cherohala.JPG dragon-start.JPG gravel.JPG

·
Registered
137 Posts
My crew and I (5 this time) try to go on a nice long ride about every three years or so. This time the complications with traveling are on our mind. But we are still planning on leaving from Iowa and traveling to the Tenn.., Virginia, Kentucky area. Some Blue Ridge Parkway riding, Tail of the Dragon, etc. Any members on here with particular advice? Could we have any problems in this area? i.e., sitting down for food, hotel accomodations, quarnenteening, etc. We anly manage to get our schedules together rarely and we hate to cancel this trip which starts next week. Thanks in advance.
So... If cancelling is just not an option for you read on... I needed to get out of the house not too long ago (July 2-4) and took a ride towards the southern part of the Smoky Mountains relatively close to where you are headed.

1. Bring plenty of gloves and maybe do a quick wash each night (maybe a hotel that has a dryer - washing the gloves in a sink with shampoo and mouthwash if you really had to). Have that one special pair you only use to touch the gas punp with.
2. Buy hand sanitizing wipes (err on extreme caution - 1 small 20x pack a day per ride)
3. Have cloth masks and/or a neck gaiters avaiable - 2x of each depending on comfort. (I prefer the MISSION Cool Neck Gaiter from Lowes).
4. Try to aim for a hotel each night on your stops, and then call ahead to make sure they have rooms, and that you understand their dine-in, ensure they have a dryer on premises, and public space grouping policy. GRUBHUB is your friend for food delivery. Do not use public pools or gyms. [Sorry @waldo17 - I am not a camper type otherwise I'd do this - but rooms at good places are cheap now between 80 and 130/night].
5. Pack as much food you can handle for yourself that won't turn in the heat (jerky, nuts, waters, etc.)
6. WATER + GATORADE/POWERADE up often! Drink a little bit (even a small mouthful) every 30 minutes even if you are not thirsty to stay hydrated.

Make into a part survival adventure.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts