Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning to ride my Roadmaster across the country this summer but now I don't know whether that is wise. Would love to hear from folks about how how the coronavirus may be affecting their travel plans.
 

·
Bronze member
Joined
·
2,702 Posts
Too early to tell. I was planning on an April trip to the TN mountains (canceled) and a Labor Day trip to the NC mountains (no decision yet). In Sept I’ve a bike trip thru New England planned...hopefully we’re over this by then.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Experts agree that we will see some subsidence of the pandemic during summer (based on historical trends) and a resurgence next fall. The next eight weeks are critical. If everybody follows protocol we may put a basic lid on this by June 1 — riding season. As long as gas stations are open and drivethrough restaurants are open (and/or grocery stores), julie and I are rolling.

And if those businesses are closed, that means things have gotten way worse — and riding will not be possible (cuz we will either be in quarantine or the supply chain has collapsed). Maslow's hierarchy plugs in then — basic survival trumps all (including discretionary fun stuff like riding).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
As of now, I'm planning to roll out as usual for 2 weeks starting on June 21st. Same as HINK, as long as gas stations along my routes are open, and food is available, I see no reason not to go. 95% of the time we'll be on bikes in the middle of nowhere.

I have hesitated to start doing detailed routing yet, which is something I'd normally have completed by now, along with hotel reservations. I guess I'll wait about another 2-4 weeks for all that. I had been considering having us spend a couple days in San Diego checking out attractions and museums, but I'll for sure redirect the trip to limit things to smaller towns and wide open National Parks. As of now, that is the only change I'll probably make planning-wise. The worst case scenario I see, short of the country having plunged into chaos of course, is we could also plan to just camp and not go near towns of any large size.

After this situation, I feel like I need that yearly multi-week trip more than ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Hotels, as usual. As of now, I've not seen hotel closures. I always nuke a hotel room with Clorox or Lysol wipes in general before I touch anything, been doing that for 15 years (especially the remote - eww). In addition, all the major chains are doing additional disinfecting. Camping would be a secondary option, but not my preference. If things are bad enough I have to camp out, I'll consider not going. It is hard to imagine we'll be in that situation 3 months from now however, but I guess anything is possible.
 

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster
Joined
·
43 Posts
So far have a 4 day trip planned in Wisconsin in July and a 10 day trip out to Sturgis and back after Labor Day. Still planning on doing these but time will tell if I have to cancel one or both.
 

·
Senior member / gold
Joined
·
6,951 Posts
So far have a 4 day trip planned in Wisconsin in July and a 10 day trip out to Sturgis and back after Labor Day. Still planning on doing these but time will tell if I have to cancel one or both.
My mainland Chinese friends are telling me that the COVID-19 virus is subsiding as the hot weather begins. It is happening there now. Keep your plans intact.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
416 Posts
We may be outaluck when it comes to our first cruise ever in May to Alaska. Good thing is the cruise company has addressed possible cancellation and allowed for full credit for any future cruise through 2022. Ain't never been on no cruise before. We were looking forward to it. Oh well...

Usually we ride to West TN a couple times in the Summer. That may be on hold depending on what's still open at that point. Had a trip planned to the beach with the kids/grandkids. That, too may be on hold in June.

Got the reservations and route chosen for another Sturgis trip in August. That's still on track unless the casinos are still closed at that point. We stay at those when possible since they are usually free for us but it's hotels for us, free or not. I've done my bit for king and country in the tent camping arena when I was in Scouts. With tents, I've went to bed and awoke in the rain enough to last the rest of my life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,677 Posts
Had a Memorial Day weekend ride planned to Berlin for a wreath laying with the CVMA, Indian Rider's Fest in Czech in June, and Ride the Alps, also in June. I haven't cancelled any reservations or plans yet. I am going to wait and see how the dust settles first.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
6,804 Posts
I’m in Wisconsin I plan on doing day trips. The dine in restaurants and bars are closed statewide, but I’m wondering if an underground speakeasy network of businesses will appear???
 

·
Bronze member
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Vegas is getting impacted and announcing some hotel/casino closures. Out here-restaurants are to go food only. Wineries, breweries, gyms and bars are closed here. Personally I'd take it week by week. Make plans, get ideas but I wouldn't make or pay for reservations you can't cancel or get a refund.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KAREN and .3578

·
Read Only
Joined
·
6,804 Posts
We are headed to Texas from vegas in the next week...not riding but we are driving. Not scared or worried...dont be a sheep, just be aware.
...even a wolf needs to eat and drink, but if anyplace worthwhile is closed, what’s the sense? I’m not going to spend money on a cross country trip dining in the parking lot of a McDonalds every day.
 

·
Senior member / rider
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
My wife and I have been planning week ride starting Memorial Day to celebrate 30 years. Tentatively on still....so far.
 
1 - 20 of 138 Posts
Top