Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like these bars and was undecided if I was going to do the install or pay my dealer to do it.
I talked to a tech at my local dealer and he told me he wouldn’t install the bars due to the sharp point and said the wiring would wear through and short out. He said that I needed to go with Indian mid rise bars.
I’m not sure I like the mid rise and not really fond of my hands in the wind. Anyone have issues with Trask or Kst bars? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have the KST Apache bars on mine. Given that the wires don't move inside the bars once you install them, I doubt that the insulation would wear away after you finish pulling the harnesses through.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The dealer attempted the same sales tactic with me. Tried selling me the mid rise bars which i didnt care for. I have the kst +6. Love them. Wires went thru smooth, install was easy. For what its worth, replacement wire harness (if for some reason yours does get frayed or cut over time) is about $100, another $75 for heated grip harness. Seems like every piece on this bike has a p/n and can be replaced. And aftermarket is slowly catching up....

·
Registered
499 Posts
My dealer installed the Klockwerks ergo bars and I love them. The Indian bars had a horrible wrist angle for me and they did not try to sell me them.

On my HD I tried to install a set of bars with a sharp point and the wires would not get through no matter what method I tried. Thinking I was doing something wrong I brought them to my buddy who has been a full time HD mechanic for years. He has installed countless aftermarket bars with the sharp point and he couldn't get the wires through either. We concluded that there had to be a sharp burr at the turns. I sent them back and went with Wild 1 classic apes and the wiring went in like butter.

The style of bars you want are installed all the time without issues. I just ended up getting a set of bars that had a problem. I would check with another dealer if you have that option. Good luck with getting them installed. For me, my bars and seat were two necessary upgrades for comfort.

Phil

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Indian mid rise and they aren’t very stylish. Wanted to demo a bike with mid rise but haven’t had the opportunity. I think I will probably go with the Trask bars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also went with the Klockwerks Ergo bars and am very happy with them. I have only a couple hundred miles but so far so good. Love the wrist angle on them. I did try the midrise and I didn’t like design of those. They were a bit higher than the ergo bars.
My dealer did the install and it took longer than expected. They also told me the Kst bars could wear wires and typically take the longest to install.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the wires wearing once they are in there. If you want the Kst bars get em.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts