Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi tribe,

Having trouble traveling with a helmet attached to bike. Scenario goes like this. I usually travel solo, taking off my passenger backrest. Sometimes, say I have to go pick up my daughter or wife somewhere away from home and they want me to take the chieftain. I put the backrest on - and need to take their helmet with me.

Options I have tried:

1. Lock the helmet strap in side bag, let it sit on the lid. This puts micro-scratches on the lid paint, as helmet vibrates and moves

2. Lock the helmet strap to my drivers backrest and it fits just right between driver/passenger backrests, so that it doesn't move - however, it's a bit too big, so i'm pushed forward uncomfortably, and the glass from helmet leaves a dent in leather - after a while i'm afraid it would start damaging it

What am i missing here, how do you guys do this? I'm considering getting the lid racks and maybe that solves it, I can't see a good way to tightly strap a helmet to these.

Thanks. BTW the helmets are 3/4 Indian retro, and the liberty jet Indian, 3/4 with a full face glass for the passenger.

·
Rider
1,009 Posts
I wear half helmets so they store easily in the bags

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
I use one of these bungee nets to keep the helmet on the seat when I don't have the backrest on. Otherwise, I put the helmet on the backrest and strap it on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome - i haven't thought of that, backrest and strap it in. The net make's sense also, won't take up any space in the bags.

Thanks guys, feel kinda dumb now, but much happier - this was frustrating me for a while.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say on backrest - are we talking driver or passenger - and which way, the passenger one is quite big, so the helmet doesn't sit 'on' it, the strap is way too short to wrap under, and when on the passenger seat, the strap also doesn't reach around the backrest frame.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
I put it on the passenger backrest. However, I have a scout, and the backrest is smaller, I believe.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If the passenger back rest, is one with a luggage rack combo. Just get a leather trunk just big enough to put the helmet in

·
Bronze member
1,285 Posts
Don't feel dumb. Sometimes we get so focused on the problem, that we can't see a solution. Remember, the only dumb question is the one that is not asked.
I agree with you Steve about asking questions, do it! But........... if your the giver of advice, recall a quote from this website's "Quote of the Day": "A fool is one who knows the answer but hasn't head the question"
I keep that quote (among others) proudly displayed at my work desk........ it helps during the day.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Pick up a helmet lock and attach it to your passenger backrest or get them a half helmet so you can put it in your bag.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The answer is obvious, store it on your head. I don't wear a helmet so I'm not preaching.......just seems like the easiest of all solutions.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
The answer is obvious, store it on your head. I don't wear a helmet so I'm not preaching.......just seems like the easiest of all solutions.
Looks like he lives in a wanna-be Soviet Block state. But anyways. helmet OVER the back of the backrest and use a bungee to fasten it down tight. THRU the helmet chin strap steel rings to whatever. This is something that a chimp can do here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looks like he lives in a wanna-be Soviet Block state.
Bwana, i'm lost on this, what, me?

Makes sense with a cord, i was really hoping there's a way to not use extra stuff. i'm ordering a cord and net to try.

@Chief2
I'd store the lid on my head, but that's taken up by my own helmet, and i can't fit in their helmets - heads too big.

·
Registered
436 Posts
@Chief2
I'd store the lid on my head, but that's taken up by my own helmet, and i can't fit in their helmets - heads too big.
Guess I missed the fact that you were wearing one too, me bad. I think others gave you enough advice to strap or haul a second helmet so I will keep quiet.
Looks like he lives in a wanna-be Soviet Block state. But anyways. helmet OVER the back of the backrest and use a bungee to fasten it down tight. THRU the helmet chin strap steel rings to whatever. This is something that a chimp can do here.
Bwana6 - What is your deal.......you seem a little "off" in the head to me.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Guess I missed the fact that you were wearing one too, me bad. I think others gave you enough advice to strap or haul a second helmet so I will keep quiet.

If you have to start a thread asking how to tie down a helmet on a bike that loaded with ideas...........then maybe you need to go back to the mall and hang out with friends at the food courts. How old are you? First bike or seen a first bike?

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts

He's right in the head, just too much time cruising tree top level in a Huey. Hot LZ's, jungle extractions , incoming etc. Prob needs a check up from the neck up. Besides, they had a neat little strap in the aircraft where one could hang their helmet.

I think he's sour on Indian because of the HD peer pressure thing. Got a Jones for pirate chit - ARRRRRGGGGGG

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Damn man, i see it's good to have huge arms. Way to make me feel great on a friday.

I'm 30. 3rd bike, gsxr1000, boulevard m109r, chieftain, over 12 years.

What's the deal with the soviet state? I migrated from ukraine when i was 13, was soviet area when i was born, i went through hell there, no food, much like north Korea now, parents thankfully got out.
I thought you were referring to where i'm from somehow.
Back to the mall, no can do, i kinda skipped that age, there wasn't much food like I said when i was in the mall hangout age, no malls either.

The reason I started thread was the helmets don't tie down on the pass backrest without cords, strap is too short, so i figured i'm missing something that i can install to help with that.
I guess i'm not, have to use a bungee, since a chimp can do it. I'm also waiting for parts to install, so figured i'd kill some time and ask.

I really hope the thread didn't ruin your weekend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts