Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a tire installed last week and in the waiting area picked up a Cycle World magazine with a lengthy and positive article about the new Indians by Polaris. The article stated that you can shift gears without using clutch. I have a new Roadmaster ordered but have not received it yet. Can those forum members that have been riding the new Indians tell me if that is correct? It was stated that the transmission is the quietist motorcycle transmission on the market as well.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Congratulations on your new Road Master!

Quiet transmission?
I guess it depends on what kind of bike you came from.
5 speed Harleys had a 3rd gear whine.
6 speed Harleys had a 5th gear whine.
The Indian transmission has neither.

However, it does clunk into gear. Not at all objectionable to me because I'm used to that noise.
It doesn't "snick" into gear like some metric bikes that I have rode.

I don't know about shifting without the clutch, I haven't even tried.
I've always thought that was like trying to catch a bullet between your teeth...especially on a new bike that is still a little stiff.
I used to do it all the time on my Road King but I had nearly 300,000 miles on that transmission.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Never rode a bike you could not shift without the clutch. You just have to match engine and transmission rpm and then feel it into the next gear

·
Registered
15 Posts
Soooooo.....Just what do you think is to be gained, or proven by not using the clutch?
As smooth and effortless as the Indian clutch is to pull, why would you feel the need not to use it?
Sure doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Well, like I said, I haven't even gotten around to trying it yet on my Indian.
So obviously it is not some burning need.
To be honest, I hadn't even thought of it until the OP made mention.

I always felt that it was just one of those things that added smoothness to my ride on my Road King.

People get horrible sloppy in their riding habits if they don't stay after themselves. I'm bad myself. I have to make myself practice the things I need to.

Next time you are with a group of bikes just pay attention to how many of them are downshifting to slow down and how many are just pulling in the clutch lever and getting on the brake.

My theory is that automatic transmissions in cars is the root cause for this laziness and sloppiness on motorcycles. It carries over.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
Big Daddy, bikes slow down so quickly with just letting off the throttle, I seldom down shift to slow. Cars run up our ass quick enough slowing, I certainly don't want to do it any quicker.
On an emergency slow down, I usually just grab a lot of brake and look for an exit route...

After a minute or so of thought, I need to add that while slowing, I do downshift to keep the tranny in the proper gear range. I just don't use it to slow down.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I agree, why shift without a clutch unless your cable go's out in the middle of no where...
Bin there done that. Not recommended but sometime it might be a necessity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A lot of Buells get bent selector forks because people think they are clever shifting without the clutch. I doubt Indian would recommend it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Shift without the clutch for racing purposes.
Or, as pointed out, when your cable snaps.
As also pointed out, I haven't had a manual tranny car or motorcycle I couldn't shift without the clutch. You just have to know the shift points for the engine and transmission to do it correctly.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was reading the owner's manual, and Indian specifically says NOT to shift without the clutch. I do it on my bike, but it has almost 90,000 miles on it.

When I was at the ride event recently I was riding the Scout, and I tried it (without thinking) and it was NOT a good experience. I realize that these are new bikes, but this one had over 7,000 miles on it. I think they are just not meant to be used like that, and since the manual says specifically not to, I will have to change my habits.

For those who haven't experienced this, you can look at some YouTube videos, but basically it is done for upshifting ONLY. You shouldn't try this on the downshift.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Until I had my left thumb joint replaced with a mechanical one last year it was very painful to use the clutch. I rode many miles without using it unless I stopped or started. Now that I have a new biomechanical thumb I use the clutch all the time.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I was shifting the demo bike without a clutch before I bought one. I used to do it on the 5 and six speed H-Ds too. The 4 speeds could be done too, but it was a little harder. I drove drive a Volkswagen Shirocco all the way from Phoenix to Sioux Falls without a clutch....and then for a few weeks around town.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I tried it with my 03 Roadking. I found you have to shift at a lower RPM so whats the point. I Drive for a living Over the road trucker I do not use the clutch except for 1st and reverse. But on the bike you get better performance with the clutch

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've noticed on my new 15' Chieftain there is some gear whine in pretty much all gears until I get to cruising speed on the highway. Will this get better as I put miles on it ? Only have 300 miles on it now.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've noticed on my new 15' Chieftain there is some gear whine in pretty much all gears until I get to cruising speed on the highway. Will this get better as I put miles on it ? Only have 300 miles on it now.
Eaglehead, that is your primary drive. Indians do not use a chain drive. It is gear to gear to gear. A lot more secure but you do get the whine.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Yeah....Don't recommend shifting without a clutch. As far as whine, I hear a lot of tire noise that makes me think I am hearing it a lot of times.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Two years ago before I had my left thumb joint surgically replaced with a stainless steel joint I could not pull in the clutch very well and I rode without the clutch unless I stopped or started. Now I can pull it in just fine so I am back to shifting with the clutch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts