Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my scout for a Springfield. This is the biggest bike I have ever owned, and so far I am loving it.

I expected to need some time getting used to the transition. Of course, just moving that bike around in the garage and parking lots takes a lot more effort.

But the next thing that I am finding really different has been unexpected. I am really missing the pegs on the scout. I loved the way they fit right into the groove by the heel of my boots. These Springfield floor boards feel odd. I know I will learn to appreciate them, but for now I miss the pegs. Crazy, huh?

·
Registered
102 Posts
It took me awhile to adjust to floorboards and the longer reach. Now I like having more real estate for my feet. I sometimes get a cramp in my hip and it helps to have more options for foot placement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the same thing last year. In the beginning my Springfield just felt huge every time I got on it but trust me, it'll feel smaller and smaller every time you ride it. You'll learn to love the comfort of the suspension and the floor boards will become second nature after a little while too. You won't miss the pegs at all! I went from being ready to park the Scout after an hour or so of straight riding to not having enough time in the day to ride the Springfield. I couldn't be happier with the decision to upgrade!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sounds like your biggest problem is your avatar no longer accurately represents your ride, lol.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a 60 and a Springfield. I am using the 60 for local rides but will take it anywhere and ride it all day if that is what I want. So light and nimble and fun. My Springy is a big beastie compared but to tour on her is luxury. I have done a couple of 5,000km trips in the South Island of New Zealand, and it's a fantastic, comfortable, great handling touring cruiser with enough baggage space. I would love a mid size weight and cc bike though as the Springy is very difficult to maneuver on inclines and declines and loose metal car parks. Just a weight thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Scout is a blast to ride, but the ergonomics and ride of the Springfield swung the deal for me. I still drool over the Scouts at my dealership, but I'm always happy to be riding away on the Springfield.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did the same trade 3 weeks ago. For me the Springfield is a natural fit. It felt big at first after riding the Scout. But in a couple days you will be fine. Springfield handles like a dream. I can tell you I would rather be on a Springfield. In fact its been my main source of transportation since I got it. I have put 1000 miles on it in 3 weeks.

But this thing is heavy. I had a mishap - My pant leg got caught on the long peg of the heel shifter and guess what, I did not get my foot down in time and laid it down at a stop sign. I tried to lift the bike and no go. But I had seen a couple utube videos with your back to the bike and hack squating it up. Bingo pop right up . The two ladies in the car behind where bugging out. Put a couple scratches on the highway bars but minor. Point is if this thing wants to go it will. Also got long peg traded out for a short peg. when I went back to the dealer he was like oh I can fix that we have short pegs. Why the hell didnt you do that in the first place?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not regretting the trade up and the Springfield is SO nice. I wish I could have kept the scout. I do see me getting a bobber at some point for the short runs in town.

I do need to change out the picture, it will be on my to do list. But I have more important things to do right now. I told my wife she can’t ride until I get used to the bigger bike. She told me I better get my butt busy, as she is ready to go! She will be in heaven on the Springfield compared to the scout.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the same trade 3 weeks ago. For me the Springfield is a natural fit. It felt big at first after riding the Scout. But in a couple days you will be fine. Springfield handles like a dream. I can tell you I would rather be on a Springfield. In fact its been my main source of transportation since I got it. I have put 1000 miles on it in 3 weeks.

But this thing is heavy. I had a mishap - My pant leg got caught on the long peg of the heel shifter and guess what, I did not get my foot down in time and laid it down at a stop sign. I tried to lift the bike and no go. But I had seen a couple utube videos with your back to the bike and hack squating it up. Bingo pop right up . The two ladies in the car behind where bugging out. Put a couple scratches on the highway bars but minor. Point is if this thing wants to go it will. Also got long peg traded out for a short peg. when I went back to the dealer he was like oh I can fix that we have short pegs. Why the hell didnt you do that in the first place?
I had the Indian heel shifter on mine for about 100 miles and kept feeling like that was going to happen to me too so I took it off. I couldn't seem to get used to it anyways

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well the jury is still out. But the short knob made a difference . No longer get caught up in it.

But for a moment I was like noooooooooooo please be ok . Ladies asked me if I was hurt . I said just my pride. The crash bars did there job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did the same about a month ago - traded the Scout for a SF. I am loving the SF, including the floor boards, but they do take some getting used to. I sometimes hit them with my feet when bringing my feet off the ground. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Other than the heavier size to deal with when backing out of a space or my garage, the kick stand has been my biggest transition. At 5'4", I have to move way up on the seat to even be able to pull it back. and I usually have to kick it forward a couple of times before it is extended all the way.

I sometimes wish I had kept the Scout, but I really don't ride enough to keep 2 bikes, and the SF better suits my needs.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I made the exact same transition. 2018 Scout Bobber made my left arm numb and ass hurt after an hour. The 2019 Springfield Dark Horse is like riding a turbo charged lazy boy chair down the road! I love mine! Try getting some highway pegs or toe rest for the front highway bar. This may work for you.
2018 BOBBER.jpg 2019 SPRINGFIELD.jpg

·
Rider
708 Posts
Did the same about a month ago - traded the Scout for a SF. I am loving the SF, including the floor boards, but they do take some getting used to. I sometimes hit them with my feet when bringing my feet off the ground. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Other than the heavier size to deal with when backing out of a space or my garage, the kick stand has been my biggest transition. At 5'4", I have to move way up on the seat to even be able to pull it back. and I usually have to kick it forward a couple of times before it is extended all the way.

I sometimes wish I had kept the Scout, but I really don't ride enough to keep 2 bikes, and the SF better suits my needs.

Enjoy!

Hi BRSpringfielder,

Not sure if you are aware, but there is a reduced reach side stand available from Indian (and a few after market sellers, if the OEM one doesn't suit or is too $$).

Might be worth a look for you...it is recommended for riders under 5'5'

Reduced Reach Side Stand - Chrome | Indian Motorcycle

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Nice upgrade, I would love to know your thoughts on both bikes as they are so different from each other ,But I have to say the Springfield looks so nice and a versatile bike that can be used with or without the fairing thats a bonus .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Firs
Nice upgrade, I would love to know your thoughts on both bikes as they are so different from each other ,But I have to say the Springfield looks so nice and a versatile bike that can be used with or without the fairing thats a bonus .
I've had the Springfield for two months now and feel a bit better qualified to compare the Springfield and the Scout. Just to give some context, I have about 10k miles of experience, about 7k of which were on the Scout. I took the Scout on a few longer distance touring trips (BR to Austin, BR to Tupelo), and realized two things: I really enjoyed touring, and the Scout was not a fantastic touring bike. I would have to stop about once an hour because I just couldn't stay comfortable. My butt would go numb, or my feet would get sore, or my throttle hand would cramp.

That was my main impetus for trading up. I won't take the Springfield on a long trip until September, when I'll ride it to Nashville, but I can already say "Wow!" This bike is super comfortable! Feel like I can ride all day and still want more. The ride is much smoother, and the Springfield takes all the bumps in stride. It handles well for such a big bike, and actually has a better turning radius than the Scout (feels like to me). The hard bags are fantastic for touring. The addition of ABS makes me feel much safer, and the cruise control is a total game changer. In short, I LOVE this bike for touring!

The vast majority of my riding is local, however. Back and forth to work, shorter rides, etc. The Scout is a great bike for that kind of ride. It gets better gas mileage, and is light enough to get away with riding shoes as opposed to boots. It took me just a short time to get used to the much heavier Springfield, and you can't get away with riding it with shoes or shorts. Or at least, I can't. I know one should not ride without riding shoes or with shorts on. But here in the South Louisiana heat, it can get very tempting to do that on shorter, local rides.

And that is the one drawback to the Springfield. Even with cylinder deactivation, it puts out a LOT of heat (I'm learning that that's a signature of the Thunderstroke 111). Normally, that is not a big deal. But in Louisiana in July, there have been a couple of instances where I just did not want to deal with the heat of riding with full gear, and took the car instead. A couple of those forgone rides (though not by any means all of them) I would have taken on the Scout. Some of that is just the reality of living where I live. Up North, people may have 3-season bikes due to winter. Down here, we may have 3-season bikes due to the heat/humidity in summer makes it just too unpleasant. I invested in a cooling vest, and it made a big difference in the few rides I've taken while wearing it.

So, bottom line for me is the Scout is a hot looking, fantastic daily ride, but not great for touring. The Springfield is even hotter (both literally and figuratively), more comfortable, and better for distance. Honestly, I wish I could have kept the Scout too, but I know if I had both, I'd ride the Springfield much more often anyway.

I hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts