Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't notice it until I hit the 2,000 mile mark on the odometer, and it only happens when the bike is hot, and generally only when I'm uphill, but when I slowly let the clutch out in first I get a pretty noticeable "clunk" that I can both hear and feel.

Gonna mention it to the service dept. when I get to the dealership next but figure I'd ask here in the mean time. Anyone else get this and if so what was the issue?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I lightly rev the engine (think little blip) especially when hot, there is a distinct knock from the powerplant. After years of riding and working on dirt bikes, I associated this sound with a loose clutch basket nut. You would normally expect to find aluminum particles in the oil if it were the clutch basket. Never found that to be true on my Scout, now at 11,000 miles, in spite of the Knock. Blackstone Labs doesn't find any unusual metal in the samples either.

At a stand still, in neutral with the clutch in or out, the blip produces the knock. If I put it in gear and hold the clutch in (disengaged), the knock goes away. I surmise that the knock is created by the gear lash in the transmission and it has proven to not be an issue. YMMV

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Have somebody stand beside the bike and watch the drive belt and rear sprocket as you work the clutch. It might be some looseness in the hub cush that you are feeling. The rear sprocket isn't bolted to the wheel. It has a series of lugs that fit into the spaces between matching rubber bumpers in the wheel.

It's designed to absorb the rhythmic shock that comes from two big cylinders pulsing power down the transmission. Without that shock being absorbed the gear teeth would get rattled to pieces instead.

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
I'd check that your cam chain is in proper adjustment.
I suspect that if one of the cam chains were to make the noise -it would do wether it was in gear or not. The OP says it won’t make the noise when IN gear and clutch held While throttle blipped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts