Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching this topic and need some info i can't find.

I've investigated hitches and wiring modules and i think Denray hitch and wiring is the way to go (thanks Never Cry Wolf). I did seriously consider Rivco as well.

My concern is I'm not sure where to run the wiring on the RM classic as the bags are removeable and anything outside the fender would be too obvious. Getting to the frame under the fender to secure the wiring seems to be almost impossible without removing the wheel (outside my technical abilities) as the frame member curves way up to the top of the wheel housing.

I have considered just asking the dealer to do it, but that seems like it might be expensive.The job (attaching the hitch, plugging in the trailer module and connecting it to the battery) seems reasonably straightforward (and within my technical capacity) other than i can't reach the frame to zip tie the wiring.

Looking for ideas

Thanks
anjin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have a 2015 RM with hard bags, but had the same concerns when I did my trailer hitch and wiring.

I did the work myself, it's not difficult at all with the plug in harnesses that are available, and the hitch mounting was simple as well.
My wiring is NOT under the back fender. It runs between the sadle bag and the fender, with a zip tie near the rear tail light. I left it just long enough that I can tuck it behind the license plate when not in use. Tried it coming out from under the seat and then under the trunk, but the seat can pinch the wire if you do it that way.

Yes, I have to be careful with that wire when I replace the trunk. I make sure it is outside the trunk spools before i put it on, then put it back on the top of the spools before i put the saddle bags on.
The wire is mostly invisible this way.

I have more problems finding spots for those extra plugs for the harness under the seat than anything else.... Not a lot of room under there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a 2015 RM with hard bags, but had the same concerns when I did my trailer hitch and wiring.

I did the work myself, it's not difficult at all with the plug in harnesses that are available, and the hitch mounting was simple as well.
My wiring is NOT under the back fender. It runs between the sadle bag and the fender, with a zip tie near the rear tail light. I left it just long enough that I can tuck it behind the license plate when not in use. Tried it coming out from under the seat and then under the trunk, but the seat can pinch the wire if you do it that way.

Yes, I have to be careful with that wire when I replace the trunk. I make sure it is outside the trunk spools before i put it on, then put it back on the top of the spools before i put the saddle bags on.
The wire is mostly invisible this way.

I have more problems finding spots for those extra plugs for the harness under the seat than anything else.... Not a lot of room under there.
Thanks for the reply.
Going to go with some other advice and just coil the cord up in the (leather) saddlebag when not in use. Don't usually run without bags anyway.
Just spent sometime cleaning up my Aluma MCT which i haven't used for a while before ordering the hitch and wiring. I've trailered that with my previous 09 GoldWing with not issues. Anything likely to be different when using the Roadmaster ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can't speak for any difference with a goldwing, the only towing I've done is with my roadmaster pulling a mini-mate camper. Did that for 2 1/2 months last year, and the only time I even noticed the trailer was when I used a pullout on bear tooth highway to let a couple of cars go by. Was a fairly steep uphill slope, and I had to feather the clutch a bit to get going smoothly. Took me a few days to develope the habit of 'remembering' the trailer was back there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts