Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody with a new scout run across traffic light sensors yet?

We have them everywhere here in Washington. They are so notorious for not sensing motorcycles, we have a law stating if the sensor dies not activate the light, we can run it after waiting a "reasonable" time.

I've run into many that don't sense my bike. I would assume that since the scout is mostly all metal, it won't be a problem. Any experience out there?

·
Registered
384 Posts
My current steed at 1998 VT1100C3 has the same weight problem. Heavy girls do ok in NC but I run the reds regularly and low traffic density helps. I hate when I'm the only one waiting and there is a fairly steady flow coming and going.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've come across a couple of them so far and it seems OK. When i get my disc lock and take it to work regularly I'll let you further as I encounter quite a few of them...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Weight shouldn't matter, I was under the impression the sensors were magnetic. If your bike has a lot of aluminum in the engine it would be more of a problem than being light.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I haven't had a problem, Scout is color blind, all she sees is green GO BABY GO!!! LOL Just kidding, seriously it hasn't been a problem yet.

Reactions: the doctor

·
Registered
362 Posts
I knew keeping the ones I took out off a hard drive was a good idea. At the time I was not sure what to use them for but I thought they were neat because they were so strong. Thanks for the video, great idea.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Weight shouldn't matter, I was under the impression the sensors were magnetic. If your bike has a lot of aluminum in the engine it would be more of a problem than being light.
I just cut/pasteed the below. There are several products out there like this.
Will the RLC-40 Red Light Changer fit my motorcycle?
Yes, it will fit any motorcycle. It's easily mounted with a special industrial adhesive disc, which will bond with the mounting surface. It can even be mounted to bicycles and autos, as long as there's a flat, clean 1-inch diameter surface, aiming at the pavement.

What does the RLC-40 Red Light Changer look like?

The RLC-40 is a one-inch diameter, half-inch thick cylinder, which is copper/nickel plated, coated with a flat-black special epoxy protective shell, and a 3M ultra-high-bonding industrial adhesive layer. It has approximately 40 lbs. pull of magnetism, much higher than a conventional magnet. Weight: 1.8 oz. (50 gms.). It mounts under the frame, where it's not visible.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Anybody with a new scout run across traffic light sensors yet?

We have them everywhere here in Washington. They are so notorious for not sensing motorcycles, we have a law stating if the sensor dies not activate the light, we can run it after waiting a "reasonable" time.
I've run into many that don't sense my bike. I would assume that since the scout is mostly all metal, it won't be a problem. Any experience out there?
The sensors are usually embedded inductive loops. Look for the saw traces were the loop is embedded in the pavement and try to position both of your wheels on the saw cut. This way a lighter motorcycle will be detected more easily.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Yeah, those green light magnets and red light changers don't work... because the magnet is so tiny. Can't hardly pick up a paper clip with it.

I once did a study over several weeks using a green light trigger, a six buck 100lb rated magnet from Ace Hardware, and nuttin, on 3 motorcycles, running thru the same red light connecting us to the main road. Ran each bike thru 100 times; then rotated the magnets steed to steed. Then repeated. Kept a chart. The six buck magnet is about four inches diameter. It's rated at 100#; but that's just another Chinese rating lie. It could prolly pull 30 or 40 on a good day. Those good days are gone. It's mounted on the skid plate of my KLR now, and salt has eaten it mostly away. Fact, I was thinking of getting a new one. The three test bikes back then were a GL1200 Goldwing, a CX500, and a V65 Magna. The motive for this test was, I wanted to have magnets manufactured about the size and shape of a hot dog, but powerful enough to work, and chromed to look nice. Could not find anywhere to make them this side of China. I still get Chinese spam. Project fell thru for lack of money when the old lady started a series of surgeries.

But to the point: I don't claim to remember the exact chart, cause it was a long time ago; but the green light triggers made basically zero diff on any of those bikes. Maybe it worked like 2% of the time. The Ace hardware unit at a fraction of the price worked about 80% of the time. Without anything, that same light reacts exactly zero percent of the time.

I tried a magnet briefly on the big beemer bagger when I first got her; but I found that she didn't need one. She has an 840 watt alternator; enough to light a minor league ballpark and have juice left over for concessions. Max output at a mere 3k rpm. Blip the throttle, and there you are. The alternator is your magnet.

They have worked on those signals twice since then. Each time they work on them they get worse. Now I just run the light on the KLR. The big beemer will only flip the switch maybe 25% of the time.

Anyways, my point is, a magnet is a good idea, and it works. Just that those wee trigger magnets moto gear sites sell are about as weak ass as gnats' piss. Waste of money. Your typical magnetic drain plug is ten times the magnet. Go score real power at Ace. They sell them for cleaning up spilled nails and such.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you live somewhere near a large animal vet, or maybe a have a Tractor Supply store somewhere close, you could also check to see about getting a cow magnet. They look kind of like an oversized Tylenol capsule, but about 1/2 " in diameter and maybe 3" long. They are Used in livestock to keep hardware (wire and nails mostly) that might be in the feed from running around in the animal's stomach. They are pretty strong, and come in a chromed variant (or at least they used to) to make them resistant to stomach acid.

And before anyone accuses me, no, this is not one of Big Daddy's stories.... ;)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If you live somewhere near a large animal vet, or maybe a have a Tractor Supply store somewhere close, you could also check to see about getting a cow magnet. They look kind of like an oversized Tylenol capsule, but about 1/2 " in diameter and maybe 3" long. They are Used in livestock to keep hardware (wire and nails mostly) that might be in the feed from running around in the animal's stomach. They are pretty strong, and come in a chromed variant (or at least they used to) to make them resistant to stomach acid.

And before anyone accuses me, no, this is not one of Big Daddy's stories.... ;)

The things you learn...

here's one chrome for ten bucks:
3in Alnico Cow Magnet: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

and one with black and chrome for even less:
Master Magnetics 07238 Ru-master 5 Cow Magnet, Ceramic, 3/4"x3-3/8" - Magnetic Sweepers - Amazon.com

1 - 20 of 33 Posts