Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked into the ape hangers. 12 inch look so much comfortable to me, than stock ones. How much of a difference is 16 inch ones are?
I’m 6”2 and about 250 pounds.
Also, how much of a difference on a stock headlight during night VS LED?

DS seem to have much bigger headlight, Scouts stock was crap. Switching to LED was an amazing change.
Any other suggestions for changes that are MUST for you at first?

Was looking into exhaust and interested in Tab Zombie slip one. Anybody have any experience?
Thank you for your time to read and hopefully answer!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I’m 6’1” @240, and run 16’s. Hands are just below my shoulders and arms not fully extended. I also changed the intake, didn’t care for the bedpan look. Get a tuner on it, really wakes it up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Glad you responded Buck55, i am actually picking up a Springfield DH on Monday that 16" apes, I was worried they might be too tall. But i am almost the same build as you: 6' 1" @ 200 lbs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good deal. Looking forward to seeing your pics.(y)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Total badassness brother. Sweet ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m 6’1” @240, and run 16’s. Hands are just below my shoulders and arms not fully extended. I also changed the intake, didn’t care for the bedpan look. Get a tuner on it, really wakes it up.
I'm a rookie owner/rider. Can you tell me how apes handle differently than stock?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,833 Posts
I'd say the apes give you more leverage on the steering inputs. A little more "twitchy" until you get used to them and relax your grip and force on the handlebars.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Exactly. Think of the taller bars as extensions on a handle; less input required for the same movement. I also like the relaxed feel for my shoulders, for me anyway. To me, the proper positioning is in-line with the forks, and hands just below your shoulders with the elbows bent. Of course, the height depends on the bike, and the rider (not overall height, but the length of your torso - from butt to shoulders).

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Pick it up on Monday but I do have a picture from the dealership. Upgrading from a Scout. I will miss my Scout :(

View attachment 581858
Went from Scout to Springfield as well..trust me, you will not miss the Scout. I found the SF much easier to maneuver than the Scout, & the extra weight is noticeable at slow speeds, on the freeway gives you reassurance of not being tossed around from winds & semi passings.
Awesome color btw.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Went from Scout to Springfield as well..trust me, you will not miss the Scout. I found the SF much easier to maneuver than the Scout, & the extra weight is noticeable at slow speeds, on the freeway gives you reassurance of not being tossed around from winds & semi passings.
Awesome color btw.
Thank you, and Agreed! I finally picked her up yesterday. Rode for about 2 hours, cant believe how lite the bike feels at 800 lbs. Great Ride!

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Thank you, and Agreed! I finally picked her up yesterday. Rode for about 2 hours, cant believe how lite the bike feels at 800 lbs. Great Ride!
Absolutely..Throw the OEM backrest on there, it makes a world of a difference, expensive but completely worth it. Even if your don't have back issues, the thing is just awesome.

·
Rider
520 Posts
I went from scout to chief dh. There are times I miss the scout, but not many. It was easier to man handle in a parking lot and quicker (yes the scout is quicker). But the DH is so much more comfortable it's not funny. And the weight is nice and low so you don't even realize just how big this bike is. And I don't get blown all over at highway speeds like I did the scout.

Not an ape hanger fan so can't comment on those.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts