Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several bikes but this season was not a good year for me and my Roadmaster 2015. Nothing but back pain and inner thigh discomfort even with the back rest support . Has the original seat . Test drove the new Challenger and found it comfortable but it could just be a new seat is what I need.

90% of the time I'm riding my old HD wide glide but avoided long trips because of the thought of dealing with the back pain on my RM. Need a new bagger ( no trunk needed ) and I don't want to make the mistake of buying the Challenger and finding the same issue.

Thanks for any input.

·
Rider
620 Posts
If there's one thing we all agree on here with, is Indian stock seats are hot trash. Not many people keep them for long. PLENTY of aftermarket options. I could only got about 45 minutes on my stock saddle, most uncomfortable piece of junk I've witnessed. Got my Corbin, which is custom tailored to your height/weight/inseam, i went 3 hours and only had a stiff butt. No pain

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have a 2019 Roadmaster. The saddle is hot garbage. I ordered a Corbin.

Reactions: Gardner Sorrell

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
No kidding...ticks me off. That's one are they should really focus on . I'll check out Corbin. thanks
Unfortunately mine is still a ways out. It’s my understanding the Corbin moves you back farther from the tank. My biggest issue is that the stock saddle pushes me forward into the tank.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If there's one thing we all agree on here with, is Indian stock seats are hot trash.
10,000 miles on my Roadmaster so far. I’ve never thought once about needing to replace the seat. I’ll make a note not to do any test sitting on other seats! :sneaky:

I did see that Indian is now making a heated and cooled seat. That would have tempted me, if they didn’t want $1200 for it. Cooled seats are the greatest thing since sliced piezeioelectric coolers.

·
Rider
1,212 Posts
I didn't think my OEM seat was that bad on my 2016 Roadmaster. Then last year, went on a 10 day trip, riding every day.

My tailbone took offence. I figured I was pushing too far back on my seat (I'm 6'3")

I bought an Ultimate Tall Boy. It is alot stiffer than the OEM, and sits me back an inch or so (wife hasn't figure out why she is so tight) and not sitting down into the seat so much. Haven't gone on any long trips this year, but have done a few 7 hour days, with no tailbone problems.

I think it is because of the stiffer seat.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
11 Posts
you should try a mustang touring seat. Ever since my first one I have had a mustang seat on every bike I have owned since. I have had others like saddleman and none come close. I can ride all day and still feel good when I get off the bike.

I have 2 torn discs in my lower back so that says a lot about a seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
looks like the new Indians arent much different than the Gilroy bikes when it comes to seats , my Chiefs stock seat was straight up trash , I ordered a Corbin , paid $550 bucks for it, well worth it , On a side note , Harley stock seats are trash as well! Not sure if they make these for Indians or not but if your tall , theres a company called "TALL BOYS CYCLES:" and they make brackets for your foot rest , I couldnt even tough the brake pedal on my harley very uncomfortable back hurt, thought it was the seat, I bought these brackets they drop the heal about 2 1/4 inches , it changes the way you sit on the bike its more natural for your feet and your back position!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in complete agreement about the seat. I "upgraded" from the 2020 Darkhorse RM to the heated seat with white stitching to give mama a wider passenger seat. I just finished 2800 miles last week and I was absolutely miserable. I'm going to the Russell Day Long saddle. I had one on my Triumph Rocket 3 T and it was an absolute game changer although it is very expensive. They take your measurements (ht, wt, inseam) and pictures of you on the seat. You send the seat in and they complete custom rebuild it.

I'm 6'3 at 320 lbs so I'm a very big rider. I pay for the upgrade for riders over 230 lbs and I did not regret it on the Triumph for 1 second. I can't wait to get it on my RM DH.

Side note - I still have the original extended reach that they replaced with the upgraded electric seat if anyone is interested. Literally only sat on for my test ride...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm surprised to read about all of the alleged seat issues on an Indian. I'm 5'10" and find my RM to be extremely comfortable. 50% of the people that I know that ride a different brand including me had to replace seats for a decent ride.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the seats. The heated seat works great, but it's not comfortable for me. Like riding on a banana. Pushes up in the wrong spot. And the seam on the left side just feels like it digs in to the bottom of my leg. Looking to have a little modification done to the seat, hoping that will help shore things up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Heard so many good things about the RDLs, but for all the stop and go garbage traffic there is out here, I don't know if it would be practical having to change position every time? I'm short already anyways, and if I have to sit higher, then I can't reach the ground. I don't know. Maybe someone else can let me sit on their if they were around some how.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Heard so many good things about the RDLs, but for all the stop and go garbage traffic there is out here, I don't know if it would be practical having to change position every time? I'm short already anyways, and if I have to sit higher, then I can't reach the ground. I don't know. Maybe someone else can let me sit on their if they were around some how.
I am 5'6 with 29 inseam. I have no issues at all. Its not really a change position for me where I am sliding around the seat....more of a put feet down and just sit up a little straighter. Maybe someone who also has a RDL can comment on what they do. Hope that helps

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ok that is helpful. I'm about that tall too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am 5'6 with 29 inseam. I have no issues at all. Its not really a change position for me where I am sliding around the seat....more of a put feet down and just sit up a little straighter. Maybe someone who also has a RDL can comment on what they do. Hope that helps
My RDL on my Triumph was phenomenal and I can't wait to send off my RM DH seat to get it changed over (which my production date is November 4th). It does sit different and your reach to the ground feels different but you should be fine. I think there is more support on the front of the seat which now you have to go over to lower your feet to the ground. I believe you feel like you come forward more but you can still comfortably reach. I've known riders who complain at first because it doesn't feel the same but who love them long term. If your reach is extremely close currently, I'd check it out or call them. They are VERY willing to discuss issues and options.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts