Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike week was this weekend in town so Indian had the truck out for demo rides. I’ve never bothered to stop by one but have always been drawn to flat track style bikes. The new policy allowing you to ride solo not in a group is a huge win for Indian. I have to say I’ve never in my life had more fun on two wheels. They had three FTRs so I hopped off one and jumped on the next. One of the things that surprised me is how easy they are at slower speeds. About like riding a mountain bike really. Man that front wheel just begs to lift up. Going with the S model and taller rally model bars.

·
Rider
1,298 Posts
Oh ok, looks like the one that aeromach/billetproof designs makes with the accessory bracket on it. Think there somewhere In Pennsylvania. Love my FTR. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok, looks like the one that aeromach/billetproof designs makes with the accessory bracket on it. Think there somewhere In Pennsylvania. Love my FTR. Enjoy it.
Interesting it looks a lot like that bracket. It seems like there was a supply issue after they went out of business and transitioned to Billetproof. Maybe they paid the local shop to copy it? Or maybe the sales guy didn’t know what he was talking about and its a standard Aeromach? Haha oh well either way it is well made.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,054 Posts
Let me know if the longer travel suspension of the FTR is better than the short travel suspension of the Scout. My 2019 Scout is beating the crap out of me on the rough back roads around here. My hind end and crotch are hurting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me know if the longer travel suspension of the FTR is better than the short travel suspension of the Scout. My 2019 Scout is beating the crap out of me on the rough back roads around here. My hind end and crotch are hurting.
That was actually a major selling point for me. There were some points where I was getting jostled around a lot on the scout. Definitely tolerable as i loved the Scout but just the hour and a half spent test riding the FTR told me all I need to know. The pressure in addition to more travel is more like that of a proper seated position. On the Scout all the pressure was on my tailbone and longer times in the saddle definitely felt it. In addition the FTR 1200S has adjustable suspension that I’m going to play around with today. The demo models were really soft and ate up everything but the one I bought is set up by the dealer quite stiff. Seems to be an easy adjustment.

I personally recommend trying the taller bars off the rally model as well. The stock bars are a bit forward leaning for me at 5’10”.

·
6,054 Posts
That's good information. The only sticking point is the foot peg position which is a little high and rearward for my 67 year old knees but I suppose the seat comfort and suspension travel could possibly make up for that.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ok so I want to make a point that I know has been made several times on this forum. I've been riding motorcycles for quite some time as I know most people on this forum probably have. Congrats on the FTR. My favorite part about the whole bike is the exposed frame. Kind of a Ducati monster rip off but that's ok. I love the monsters. I believe KTM has a bike like that too. I hope they have most of the kinks worked out of the FTRs now. Seems to me I see a lot of threads discussing issues. I know the scouts were pretty bullet proof except for mine. I seem to have found the only one with issues. Anyways......why do people try to compare bikes of different styles? An FTR is a totally different ball game than a Scout. Two different riding styles. Of course the suspension will probably be better on the FTR. The pegs are different for a reason. Scouts are more a cruiser. The FTR's are not. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I'm sure you'll love your FTR. There's only so much you can do to a Scout to smooth out the ride. My only big suspension complaint on the Scout is the front end. That could be softer. My 2007 GSXR setup I have on my CX500 is wayyyyy better. But then again it was built for a different purpose.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I want to make a point that I know has been made several times on this forum. I've been riding motorcycles for quite some time as I know most people on this forum probably have. Congrats on the FTR. My favorite part about the whole bike is the exposed frame. Kind of a Ducati monster rip off but that's ok. I love the monsters. I believe KTM has a bike like that too. I hope they have most of the kinks worked out of the FTRs now. Seems to me I see a lot of threads discussing issues. I know the scouts were pretty bullet proof except for mine. I seem to have found the only one with issues. Anyways......why do people try to compare bikes of different styles? An FTR is a totally different ball game than a Scout. Two different riding styles. Of course the suspension will probably be better on the FTR. The pegs are different for a reason. Scouts are more a cruiser. The FTR's are not. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I'm sure you'll love your FTR. There's only so much you can do to a Scout to smooth out the ride. My only big suspension complaint on the Scout is the front end. That could be softer. My 2007 GSXR setup I have on my CX500 is wayyyyy better. But then again it was built for a different purpose.
I think for a couple reasons:

1. I think the target market is actually crossed over quite a bit between the two. Someone looking for a barebones (American Made) sporty bike that is both not a full blown cruiser and not a sportbike.

2. The enginecharacteristics are actually very similar being liquid cooled, higher reving V-Twin engines

3. From the early release of the scout Roland Sands and a few others took the Scouts and made kits for Hooligan flat track racing. The original concept for the FTR used a Scout powerplant. People drooled over it.

For my own purposes the Scout foundation is what I wanted to put together with a Roland Sands kit so the FTR is essentially what I wanted when purchasing the Scout. Just better!

·
Bronze member
2,559 Posts
Yeah rsd and crazy horse made kits to turn a scout into somewhat of a flat track bike and look really good. But since the ftr came out there really wasn’t a need for them. Because even with the body and suspension kits, the ftr would still put perform it.

The scout as it sits stock really isn’t comparable imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's good information. The only sticking point is the foot peg position which is a little high and rearward for my 67 year old knees but I suppose the seat comfort and suspension travel could possibly make up for that.
I will add that I wouldn’t really call it comfortable like some of the big baggers and sports cruisers are designed to be. Just more tolerable than the stock scout riding position. What I keep coming back to to describe it is if feels kind of like riding around on a large mountain bike.

The only thing I’m missing so far is being able to stand up without my butt touching the seat at a stop light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That was actually a major selling point for me. There were some points where I was getting jostled around a lot on the scout. Definitely tolerable as i loved the Scout but just the hour and a half spent test riding the FTR told me all I need to know. The pressure in addition to more travel is more like that of a proper seated position. On the Scout all the pressure was on my tailbone and longer times in the saddle definitely felt it. In addition the FTR 1200S has adjustable suspension that I’m going to play around with today. The demo models were really soft and ate up everything but the one I bought is set up by the dealer quite stiff. Seems to be an easy adjustment.

I personally recommend trying the taller bars off the rally model as well. The stock bars are a bit forward leaning for me at 5’10”.
Congrats on the new bike, the FTRs look great!

I'm interested to know, were you running the stock shocks on your Scout?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats on the new bike, the FTRs look great!

I'm interested to know, were you running the stock shocks on your Scout?
I was running the stock shocks yes. There was some room for improvement but never really was unhappy with them overall so didn’t see the need to upgrade. It was more the seating position that I would've rather fixed. Had my eye on the 1921 solo saddle that was supposed to help.

·
6,054 Posts
I'm beginning to think the Mother Roads sprung tractor seat would've been a better choice than that Corbin Solo on my Scout. The hard seat is better contoured than the over soft stock seat but the stiffer short travel suspension and the cruiser seating position conspire to make for a sore butt on my Scout.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was running the stock shocks yes. There was some room for improvement but never really was unhappy with them overall so didn’t see the need to upgrade. It was more the seating position that I would've rather fixed. Had my eye on the 1921 solo saddle that was supposed to help.
Fair enough. I'm considering a Bobber and planning out the mods I'd do - with better shocks and more comfortable seat being high on the list!

I know it's a trade-off for looks though, but the Bobber just looks so damn good lol But, the FTR looks pretty damn good as well!

·
Registered
523 Posts
So in the event I get my bobber back all nice and quiet can I install that belt tensioner from Roland sands for shits and giggles? I love the look of it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts