Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going my people?

Have a 2018 Springfield I just took delivery of. The Scout was not up to longer rides like I had hoped, at least the comfort level wasnt there. ANyway, I've heard all about the heat off the cylinder heads but after taking the SF for a test ride and running it in a parking lot for 15 minutes on the stand i figured, "oh, the heats not that bad, only a little warmer than the scout", buuuuuuuttttttt after about 4 hours on it this morning I was pretty amazed at how much heat transfers up through the seat and into my my butt and I'm looking for some suggestions on cutting this down.

I know all about the heat shields by DBustos but I'm looking for ways to stop the heat before it starts. Any real world improvements you can share would be appreciated. Also, I live in Central FL so yes, heat is a thing here year round. TIA!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lose the cat, tune the bike, use deflector shields. I did all 3 on my Chieftain and excessive heat is gone.
thanks diesel, just watched a couple YTs based on your suggestion, looks like removing the cat will make the bike louder, is that true? Trying to keep it as close to stock as i can. Neighbors.

also, when you say tune the bike are you referring to adding a separate tuner like a power Commander or can the dealer tune the existing ECM to make her run a little richer (which is what I'm assuming you meant). a littl more info on that please

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
thanks diesel, just watched a couple YTs based on your suggestion, looks like removing the cat will make the bike louder, is that true? Trying to keep it as close to stock as i can. Neighbors.

also, when you say tune the bike are you referring to adding a separate tuner like a power Commander or can the dealer tune the existing ECM to make her run a little richer (which is what I'm assuming you meant). a littl more info on that please
Taking out the cat by itself will not add too much noise... only a slight amount. They start getting loud with the opened up mufflers and alternative slip-on pipes.
Best tune option is PVCX, but PCV will also work fine. I have used both on mine before. Dealers are not allowed to change your tune beyond Polaris re-flash offerings for specific add-on options.
I think a simple cat modification alone will go a long way toward resolving the excess heat issue.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taking out the cat by itself will not add too much noise... only a slight amount. They start getting loud with the opened up mufflers and alternative slip-on pipes.
Best tune option is PVCX, but PCV will also work fine. I have used both on mine before. Dealers are not allowed to change your tune beyond Polaris re-flash offerings for specific add-on options.
I think a simple cat modification alone will go a long way toward resolving the excess heat issue.
So how exactly does removing the Cat reduce the heat in the heads?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Head temps likely to remain the same... However, rider experience of radiant heat, a whole new ballgame. Radiant heat at speed is not so bad, slow-speed and stopped, a big deal when you add a 1200 degree cat chamber under your right leg.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Head temps likely to remain the same... However, rider experience of radiant heat, a whole new ballgame. Radiant heat at speed is not so bad, slow-speed and stopped, a big deal when you add a 1200 degree cat chamber under your right leg.
roger that, thanks for the input. now i just need to find a shop willing to do the cat removal. I'm beginning to wonder though that maybe a new set of pipes might be about the same cost. Slip ons probably are after the cat correct?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
roger that, thanks for the input. now i just need to find a shop willing to do the cat removal. I'm beginning to wonder though that maybe a new set of pipes might be about the same cost. Slip ons probably are after the cat correct?
Correct, slip-ons are the mufflers.
Where are you located?
You can get a used head-pipe to modify, then just swap with yours. That way you can always trade back.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
True duals, X-pipe or someone to gut the cat. @briremo

Check the top right of the page for the search bar, type in true duals or x pipe and you should get plenty of reading material. On the top left of the page look at the "tags" and you can click on them for other conversations such as this.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just following....

·
Rider
444 Posts
I just added the Captain Itch crotch Cooler and no longer have any serious heat issues... and I live in Tucson. Best $120 I ever spent on a bike. Like you I want to keep my Springfield as stock as possible so pulling the CAT or changing the exhausts is off of the table.

I now have 10K+ miles having ridden all summer {bought the bike April first} and it is all good.

:cool:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Rider
620 Posts
So I didn't read everyone's post, because reasons so here's my take on the springfield.

Indian sends their bikes out with tuning that runs more on the lean side. This causes the engines to run hotter, which also can wear your engine down faster in the long scheme of things.

Running a tune by say Fuel Moto, they run theirs a tad more rich which uses more gas which helps cool the engine off to come degree. That cooled my engine down a bit, not a WHOLE lot but it was noticeable.

As for the cats, you'll notice a lot less heat just from taking those out alone. It gets SUPER hot and that sucker radiates upwards and also feels like it's going to set your pant leg on fire if you're sitting at a stop light. You don't even have to take them out of your exhaust, just buy a replacement. They're not TERRIBLY expensive and you'll get some better airflow, probably still want to get that PVCX tuner just in case.

Adding a better air cleaner will also pull in more air and help the engine temp a bit.

If you're REALLY in a hot area, you can grab Corbin's new peltier cooled seat. Can cool your balls down by like 20F if I remember right.

Other than that, the other thing that coulda helped was getting the 2019 springfield as it disables to the rear head at idle so it's not producing as much heat.

If you wanna know what the Rinehart slipons sound like, I got the hi-flow baffles in mine. This is with the cat still in.

Idle:

Cracking on it:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I feel the heat but not as much underseat as i do on my right leg.. I have the indian dual heated sest. So its a bit more padding and seems to keep heat lower. Maybe try different seat or have that one repadded add some of those heat insulating square from nasa in it...

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I feel the heat but not as much underseat as i do on my right leg.. I have the indian dual heated sest. So its a bit more padding and seems to keep heat lower. Maybe try different seat or have that one repadded add some of those heat insulating square from nasa in it...
That's what we need, space shuttle tiles!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
My Indian Dealer down in Ft Myers said if they do the work , slip on's, AC, Re-Map it wouldn't void warranty, an it gets rid of the heat 2018 RM. Cost about $1800. STU's Indian . Actually today i'm going there got a special as they have their grand opening Nov 2,3. Tomorrow is last day have a Oil Change total cost is $5.00.
An yes here in florida last 2 months really suck temps high 90's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.