Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loved my Scout. It is a great bike. I put 27000 trouble free miles on it. I loved everything about it except the suspension. As I am getting older and gaining weight (66/ 240) and arthritis is setting into my back there were mornings when going over bumps would shoot pains right through my tail. This would only happen on bumps that would bottom out the suspension but here in WI where the roads heave from hot and cold temperatures, with the change of season, there were just too many. In my opinion the Scout was more fun to ride than the Challenger. It took some getting use to the 830 lbs plus lbs weight of the Challenger. Still not 100% use to it. But now that I have 2000 miles on it I feel pretty comfortable. The suspension is the bomb! I have bounced it a few times but have never bottomed it out and thus have not had any pain shoot up my back. Just like the Scout I love this new engine and it is even smoother than the Scout. At some point (4 years) this bike will be to big for me and I will be looking for a trike. I hope Indian will put this engine in a trike by then.

Keep the shinny side up! And have fun!

mgg

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too traded my scout for the Challenger and agree, the Challenger is a dream ride. After several rides though I have found the Challenger to be too much bike for me. The suspension on the scout was rough but not such as big a deal here in the south.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade! I also traded my Scout for a Challenger last weekend. Suspension was a big reason for the change. Still getting used to the Challenger as it's a big bike, but I think I'm going to like it, and I'm sure you will too!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,048 Posts
That's what I missed when I went from a 2015 Chieftain to a 2019 Scout. The seat & suspension was far less comfortable, especially on rough pavement. I changed the seat but a Corbin while shaped much better isn't a cushy seat. I got to demo two Challengers back in July and they were vastly better comfort-wise to the Scout, I also went to the Scout due to the lighter weight but that Challenger is calling out to me. Maybe in a year or two but right now it's just not in my budget being as I'm retired and on a fixed income. Maybe by then Indian might have that in-between size bike, who knows?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is there aftermarket shocks and fork mods that would improve the Scout suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2018 Scout as well. Bought it after an accident on my BMW R1200 RT which messed up my foot. The lighter weight was a big factor, as I wasn't sure my foot would heal enough for me to handle big bikes again. I'm 5' 5" and 145 pounds. A bum foot on top of old age would be tough.

But riding with my friends proves to be a bit of a pain, as I have to constantly stop for fuel. And the highway vibrations get to me after a long day of riding.

So at Sturgis, I test rode a Challenger and really liked it. The dealers around here in NC are trying to low ball me on the trade value of the Scout. So I listed it here in hopes I can at least recoup the Corbin seat cost. If that sells, I'll probably get a Challenger as well.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,048 Posts
There seems to be some sort of consensus here regarding the Scout downsize thing and the Challenger.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If your not riding a Scout anymore then why post here instead of the Challenger forum. I guess I should post all the reasons I got a Scout in the Challenger forum to include saving tens of thousands of dollars for what I find to be a more enjoyable ride not to mention that ugly ass oversized fairing. To each their own, safe trails......

·
King of the nuts
258 Posts
If your not riding a Scout anymore then why post here instead of the Challenger forum. I guess I should post all the reasons I got a Scout in the Challenger forum to include saving tens of thousands of dollars for what I find to be a more enjoyable ride not to mention that ugly ass oversized fairing. To each their own, safe trails......
Please point on the doll where the Challenger touched you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts