Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is a 2018 Springfield Dark Horse and I'm in Australia where we use metric for fuel, distance and temp but old school PSI for tyre pressure.

My gear sensor was replaced under the recall some weeks ago. One part of the reflash to the VCM was the change of the TPMS display to the right toggle switch (previously not used).

The TPMS display now only shows kPa and I can't work out how to swap to PSI. I asked the service guy after the recall and he couldn't do it. He spent half an hour on the phone to head office and could not find anyone who knew how to do it.

I mentioned this problem on a thread about the gear sensor recall. Other members say their bike shows PSI. They looked for info on swapping between units but came up with nothing so far. I figured a dedicated thread might find more people.

The following has not worked.

I thought that perhaps the TPMS took its units from the other settings, so I set the bike to miles, gallons, and fahrenheit. Then I went riding and checked the TPMS. It showed kPa. I stopped for a while so it could reset and when riding again, still kPa.

The owner's manual has no info on the TPMS settings anywhere that I can find. The other display settings are on p.39.

The pdf service manual has info on setting up the TPMS with the learning tool. It shows the choice between PSI and kPa on the Roadmaster screen, but the Springfield instruction has no mention at all.

A search of the manual for kPa brings up references to tyre pressure, oil pressure, fuel pump pressure, but no reference to kPa in the TPMS section.

If anybody has the magic sauce on this one, I'd appreciate it.
Or if your bike shows PSI, can you check if you can swap between the two settings?

·
Bronze member
3,070 Posts
I can NOT swap mine,and there's nothing in either my SM or my OM about changing em,which brings me right back to what I recently posted.It's possible "POSSIBLE" they downloaded the wrong software ,or, there could have been a glitch in the software they used,which to me,would be the only logical explanation why you're seeing KPA instead of PSI!! But like I said,it's just a thought cause I can't find anything in either the SM or the OM about changing it,nor can the service manager at the dealership I spoke with this AM cause all he said was:"It's in the book" but it's obviously not,which brings us right back to the downloaded software.That's the only logical explanantion I can think of.But then again,this computer business is not my strong point either cause I'm old school :confused::cautious::geek: and only trying to help.So question em about it.Maybe they could do another reflash to see if that will fix the problem cause it's gotta be in there,someplace!! :confused:

Let me ask ya this?? Was your original TPMS reading in PSI ?? If so,then there' your proof that something is wrong with the down load they put in.Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, Dave. Your PSI setting being the only option suggests that they have work to do back in the mother ship.

My bike used to swap between them. I needed to choose one when I first set up the bike. I remember having to go through the whole lot as I had to change some of the dealer's settings. They delivered the bike with some settings not to my choice. And there was a major reflash some time ago (perhaps it was the battery drain issue) and I had to set it all up again.

I'll go into the dealership through the week. Their floorstock bikes probably won't have had the sensor recall done and I'll check how the pressure settings work to refresh my memory. And perhaps the new bikes have an updated manual with additional instructions.

Perhaps somebody else will chime in here with and solve the mystery.

·
Rider
756 Posts
Thanks for the input, Dave. Your PSI setting being the only option suggests that they have work to do back in the mother ship.

My bike used to swap between them. I needed to choose one when I first set up the bike. I remember having to go through the whole lot as I had to change some of the dealer's settings. They delivered the bike with some settings not to my choice. And there was a major reflash some time ago (perhaps it was the battery drain issue) and I had to set it all up again.

I'll go into the dealership through the week. Their floorstock bikes probably won't have had the sensor recall done and I'll check how the pressure settings work to refresh my memory. And perhaps the new bikes have an updated manual with additional instructions.

Perhaps somebody else will chime in here with and solve the mystery.
This is on page 60 of my manual - not a great photo - sorry!

I remember following this when I set mine up, but cannot recall doing it again after any re-flashes.

edit - I have yet to get the gear sensor recall done, therefore my right toggle hasn't changed yet either.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pic, John. My 2018 rider's manual does not have any pic like that anywhere. The pic looks like it's the screen on the Chieftain rather than the LCD display on the Springfield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2017 Springfield to the Indian dealer in Redlands California to replace the gear sensor 1.5 months ago. Since I left the dealer the tire pressure was not available anymore...so they flashed it wrong. Also now the bike don t starts anymore so the past flash to fix the battery drainage was maybe lost as well! When I called them they said to come in 20 days and that they are not "sabotage" my bike after I was complaining that bring it back it is w/o the TPMS info, battery draining and I cannot start it anymore!!! They don t care about your time, money, bike, you are 50 miles away and need to pay towing!!! And one time they didn t screw the screw at negative in the battery going to grounding!!! Very disappointed! the plastic sides barely stay in and this at 10000miles only,

·
Registered
231 Posts
From Brazil here.

Didn’t do the recall on my 16 Roadmaster yet, but a friend of mine is going through the same problem in his 18 Springfield.

We have the same problem as Aussie fellows here, as we use metric units for almost everything, but the usual unit for tire pressure has always been PSI.

Apparently the firmware developers messed up on the last update and forgot to enable tire pressure unit selection on the new programming.

Video is in Portuguese but it’s just about following the clicks.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bike is at the dealers for tyres and servicing and they've been working on the KPA PSI thing but could not find a fix. They called me today to say the info on what is happening has been sent on to the software development team at head office. I wrote up a full memo on the problem so they had something formal to send up the chain.

I have always got good service from the local dealer and they take me seriously when I say there's a problem. They asked for the write-up so they had something that explained it from the user point of view.

·
Rider
756 Posts
My bike is at the dealers for tyres and servicing and they've been working on the KPA PSI thing but could not find a fix. They called me today to say the info on what is happening has been sent on to the software development team at head office. I wrote up a full memo on the problem so they had something formal to send up the chain.

I have always got good service from the local dealer and they take me seriously when I say there's a problem. They asked for the write-up so they had something that explained it from the user point of view.
Hey @Dr.Shifty , did you ever resolve this?

Mine is also reading kpa after the gear sensor flash and I am stuck on how to fix it.

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts