Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polaris charges a ridiculous mark-up on their branded TPMS sensors.
I was wondering if anyone has sourced any generic replacements at a more reason price?

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,437 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
Hey Dave, I ordered these earlier this month and they just came in a couple of days ago. I am fairly certain that you won't find them any cheaper. They look the same, and hopefully function the same as the ones Indian sells. I will probably replace my front sensor this coming weekend or next.

US $10.68 11% OFF|New High Quality Tire Pressure Sensor TPMS Sensor For Motorcycle 2412417|Tire Pressure Alarm| - AliExpress
They definitely look like them and it is the same part number that lists in the Indian parts breakdown. I might buy a couple and try to pair them to the bike on my next tire change. Dean

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another source, though not as cheap as Caprock's example. Long lead-time for shipment to arrive (about a month). In August, I replaced the dead unit in rear tire; the new one has since worked perfectly. Those I purchased appear identical to the one depicted in the above link. The only unanswered question I have about either source would be their units' dates of manufacture (how long on the shelf). The original rear unit started getting spotty after less than 3 years @ about 30K miles. I am hoping the replacements have better longevity.

·
Bronze Member
1,818 Posts
I ordered two sets through dhgate. (one set for my chieftain and another set for my wife's Springfield) They are identical (Schrader) sensors to the factory ones. I replaced them in February when I put new tires on. After installlation, I did the TPMS relearn with my relearn tool. The bikes recognized them just fine.

I was a little apprehensive about ordering them directly from communist China not knowing if I was going to get name brand knock-offs or QC rejects. But we've had no issues at all with them. If they last as long as the original sensors did, I'll call it a win.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
I ordered them from Aliexpress. We'll see how this goes.

The last time I ordered from Aliexpress, I ordered a Bob Uecker Milwaukee Braves jersey and got an Ernie Banks Cubs jersey.
Me too. For $30 with shipping for a couple of sensors it was worth the risk to see what works. Fingers crossed. Dean

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
I ordered them from Aliexpress. We'll see how this goes.

The last time I ordered from Aliexpress, I ordered a Bob Uecker Milwaukee Braves jersey and got an Ernie Banks Cubs jersey.
LOL, I hope you don't end up with some Goldwing TPMS sensors. All I can say is that it took exactly 3 weeks for mine to arrive and they look just like what is pictured. Hopefully, they will work as intended. I had my front sensor on my 2017 replaced this spring with an Indian OEM sensor under warranty, and less than 6 months later it started randomly acting up again. Like the original, the replacement would sometimes read in less than a block, and sometimes would take more than 10 miles to post a reading, and then would intermittently drop out. I'm hoping that these do better than my last replacement.

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, I hope you don't end up with some Goldwing TPMS sensors. All I can say is that it took exactly 3 weeks for mine to arrive and they look just like what is pictured. Hopefully, they will work as intended. I had my front sensor on my 2017 replaced this spring with an Indian OEM sensor under warranty, and less than 6 months later it started randomly acting up again. Like the original, the replacement would sometimes read in less than a block, and sometimes would take more than 10 miles to post a reading, and then would intermittently drop out. I'm hoping that these do better than my last replacement.
I have a new one of the apparently gold plated Polaris version sitting in my toolbox. When they arrive I'll be able to make a direct comparison.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've got friends here in Oz who bought from DHGate and haven't reported any problems with them.

My rear was replaced under warranty at a touch under the two year mark, about 50,000 kms on the bike at the time. The front is still going OK. If the front goes out I'll be buying the cheapies.

There are a few youtube videos on carving out the battery and replacing it as a DIY. Making them with a replaceable battery would be a great improvement.

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
Those look to be the same in the picture above, so how much is the Polaris one?
Indians MSRP for this sensor is $102.99. I wasn't about to pay that, and that's why I looked for and found the ones I linked above. Sure they took 3 weeks to arrive, but for the savings, that's well worth the wait.

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
If you don't already have an activation tool. I purchased the one below from Amazon, and it works fine. I already tested in on my OEM sensors before I received the new sensors from AliExpress.

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
Yesterday I replaced my front TPMS sensor with one of the two that I purchased from AliExpress that I referenced in the second post. I had no problems activating it, and it is working like the original sensor. I only needed to replace one, so I didn't get a chance to check the second sensor, but I presume it will be fine also. Below are the two sensors that I bought, and the original (on bottom). So for less than $30 for 2 sensors compared to 1 from Indian at $102, this was a great deal.

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,365 Posts
Reading this is fantastic
I also have the same learn tool
Does anyone know what the shelf life would be like for these?
Would love to put 2 on the shelf to have ready when that day comes.

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reading this is fantastic
I also have the same learn tool
Does anyone know what the shelf life would be like for these?
Would love to put 2 on the shelf to have ready when that day comes.
I would imagine if they are not actively transmitting they would last quite awhile.
In all reality you have no idea how long the sensors Polaris is selling have been sitting on the shelf. Obviously they are getting them from China as well.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts