Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for what its worth those sensors you buy direct from china are the same ones indian sells. just had tires replaced and they installed the new ones i had. 70 bucks for the pair

·
Bronze Member
1,688 Posts
I got the TPMS sensors and new tires on my wife's Springfield this weekend.

Here are the sensors. The high dollar original factory sensor is on the left. The $37 sensor from DHgate is on the right. They are one and the same.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,819 Posts
I got one for $25 and it works just like the high dollar Indian one. Now I did have to wait for that proverbial, slow boat from China but big deal. I do think mine is that same $37 being talked about but got mine from eBay. I'm going to get 2 more and have them ready when I have my next set of E4's installed. May as well start with as fresh a battery as possible and at that price it make since. I really don't know why these big companies like Polaris and Harley have to rape the customers on these low dollar items like they do. It really irks me as I'm sure it does everyone. But it is rape.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
I got the TPMS sensors and new tires on my wife's Springfield this weekend.

Here are the sensors. The high dollar original factory sensor is on the left. The $37 sensor from DHgate is on the right. They are one and the same.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Didn't you have to have a calibration step done at the shop after the install?

How long was the wait for the shipping?

Thanks,

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks,
Yeah they calibrated , installed the tires I bought from Bike Bandit for 205 and yes it takes almost 30 days to get sensors

·
Premium Member
419 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,943 Posts
SENSOR-TIRE PRESSURE

$102.99
Plus $$$ to pull the tire and install them. BLU TPMS sensors are about a one time $75 purchase for a set of 2, mount on the tire stem, take a $1 battery that can be changed in 5 minutes of your time for free. Just sayin.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Yeah they calibrated , installed the tires I bought from Bike Bandit for 205 and yes it takes almost 30 days to get sensors
How many miles did you have on the TPMS that were changed out?

I may want to do a poll on the mileage as I think that there is probably a time factor involved in that the number of hours the TPMS are operating determines their lifespan (for the most part).

I ride primarily curvy roads up and down the coast and I know that overall when doing that type of riding you only average around 35 MPH. Folks pounding down the freeway for hours on end average much higher.

So, in 12K miles mine have been on for about 350 hours. I need to install my new tires but don't want to wait another month to do it but also don't want to have the TPMS give up the ghost during this new set being on the bike.

So, I'm trying to see if there is a way to try and calc out what the lifespan of the lithium battery is hour-wise.

Thanks.

·
5,819 Posts
BLU TPMS sensors are about a one time $75 purchase for a set of 2, mount on the tire stem
I've seen that suggested before but it doesn't integrate with the on screen Indian TPMS system does it? And can you add air without removing the device on the valve-stem or does it have to come off, add air and reinstall the device? How much air is lost in that process?

·
5,819 Posts
I may want to do a poll on the mileage as I think that there is probably a time factor involved in that the number of hours the TPMS are operating determines their lifespan (for the most part).
I don't think mileage or number of hours ridden has very much to do with when they need replaced. It's more about how many hours/days/years since they were manufactured. So say, buy two sensors, and put one on so it's being used and the other just sits on your work bench. I'd bet the one that's sitting on the work bench won't last very long if you use that one to replace the one in use when if fails. Maybe a few months at best versus most likely 2 ½ to 3 years with the one in use. I may be all wet on that but that what I think.

·
Bronze Member
1,688 Posts

Thanks,
I think that it was two to two-and-a-half weeks to get the sensors. Mind you I ordered them a week-and-a-half before Christmas, so the postal system was a little inundated at the time which may have slowed the shipping.

I reset the TPMS system myself with my EL-50448 relearn tool that I picked up off ebay a while back that's used for relearning TPMS sensors on my other vehicles.

After digging out my SM and reading the TPMS reset instructions this was literally the easiest TPMS relearn I have ever done. Once the relearn was started, it took less than a minute to complete.

I have to change the tires and sensors on my chieftain next.

·
Rider
943 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the batteries for at least 5 years. As fast as Indians are coming off the line I would have to say that the sensors are pretty fresh.

How long does a sensor last.

After 5 years of faithfully checking up on your tires, the batteries that power your TPMS sensors have reached the limit of their useful lives. The batteries in the sensors are mandated to last five years, so if your car is getting close to 5 years old, it’s about time to replace them! link to article

1 - 20 of 30 Posts