Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the last two rides, the TPMS says the tires are low when I start my bike before a ride, measuring at 30/35.. but after I drive for a little while and the tires warm up, the TPMS goes to 36/41 where it should be.

I'm guessing that the dealership filled them warm to the recommended pressure, but not cold pressure. I guess my question is, what are you seeing while you've been riding for a bit.

That 36/41 is probably going to be higher on the display after riding for 15 minutes.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Your tire pressure can vary from day to day due to temperature. Tires should be aired up when cold, not after a ride. Fill front/rear to 36/41 and check every week or two...you’ll be fine.

·
Rider
858 Posts
I noticed the last two rides, the TPMS says the tires are low when I start my bike before a ride, measuring at 30/35.. but after I drive for a little while and the tires warm up, the TPMS goes to 36/41 where it should be.

I'm guessing that the dealership filled them warm to the recommended pressure, but not cold pressure. I guess my question is, what are you seeing while you've been riding for a bit.

That 36/41 is probably going to be higher on the display after riding for 15 minutes.
Is physics taught in Canadian schools ?

·
Bronze member
1,816 Posts
Don't forget the outside temperature at the time you set the pressure. Here it could be 40 one day then 80 the next. That will drive your pressure like a roller coaster. No different then when the temps drop rapidly in the winter and everyone's car has a low tire light on the dash.

·
Silver member
5,043 Posts
Your tire pressure will always go up after you ride awhile. Your tires heat up and the TPMS will reflect that. Just fill them to the recommendations while they are cold and all is well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
must be something new... my TPMS doesn't register until I'm moving and then each wheel takes a different time to read out
Mine has always worked that way on both my Challenger and the Springfield Dark Horse. BTW, I always run 38/42 cold in my Indian's. Low tire pressures = less tire mileage. And if the temp drops nothing worse than that low tire pressure light going off.its a lot easier to let pressure out than put it in when you are on a trip. Especially the rear tire.Indian couldn't have found a more difficult valve stem to access for the rear wheel.

·
Rider
747 Posts
Run with nitrogen. You will reduce your 6psi swings in half and can get it <2 if you do a decent job purging the air out of your tires before the final fill.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is physics taught in Canadian schools ?
It is.. my question was what the TPMS was displaying with 36/41 cold pressure after the tires have warmed up. I'm well aware of expansion as they warm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Run with nitrogen. You will reduce your 6psi swings in half and can get it <2 if you do a decent job purging the air out of your tires before the final fill.
Obviously you do not understand that PV=nRT regardless of what the gas or gas mixture is. That's why it's called the UNIVERSAL Gas Law.

·
Rider
747 Posts
Obviously you do not understand that PV=nRT regardless of what the gas or gas mixture is. That's why it's called the UNIVERSAL Gas Law.
Totally!! Do you?? Once you figure out what your compressor is spitting into your tire, reply back ! Hint, Nitrogen doesn't have it !

·
Registered
50 Posts

My Chieftain Limited does the same thing I go by the reading after running and it changes with the temperature too.

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
697 Posts

Have you used a real pressure gage to verify, TPMS systems are not as accurate as a gage, I use a digital.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went to put in air into my back tire. You pretty much have to take the right saddle bag off since the valve points out the right.. and the drive belt wheel gets in the way. Crazy design.

·
Rider
817 Posts
1lb psi change per 10 deg change in ambient temp just sitting in the drive way.

Reactions: RichardFerg
1 - 20 of 22 Posts