Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to putting in the Polk 521 speakers in my Roadmaster. The front ones were a snap. When I got to the speakers in the back I was alarmed to see the there are very different. The face looks the same but the magnet on the back speakers are huge. Look at the pic below. The right speaker is the stock front, and the stock tour pack speaker is in the middle, I added the Polk speaker on the left just as a reference. The second pic shows the Polk and the rear speaker. Actually the magnet on the stock speaker feels heavier than the Polk. I am not sure if changing the rear speakers was worth it now. I do think the Polk 521 are much better than the front speakers but not much different than the rears. I already had the Polks so I put them in and they bolt in just as easy as the fronts. The difference in sound altogether is great. For the money this is the best mod out there for the Chieftain or Roadmaster. Dean E

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for that post DeanE. I just ordered the Polk 521's yesterday and thought I would wait and see how they sound before doing anything with the rears. Great information and thanks for sharing the pictures.

·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that post DeanE. I just ordered the Polk 521's yesterday and thought I would wait and see how they sound before doing anything with the rears. Great information and thanks for sharing the pictures.
You're welcome. I hope it helps. Dean E

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Wow! That is amazing.
I know a bit about speakers, that the baskets if made sturdy and a good size magnet means a good size driver, which makes for great sound.
I'm amazed that they would have two different sized speaker magnets.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Up to what speeds can you actually listen to music with HELMET ON before the wind noise makes it useless. I am using Sena20 helmet speakers on a Nolan helmet and even then the wind noise makes listening to music sometimes unpleasant.

However, I imagine for non helmet riders this might work quite well ?! As I am a helmet rider, I wouldn't know :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Nolan helmets are very nice indeed!
For myself it's 3/4 and/or a half helmet by Super Seer USA made but that's here nor there.
Back roads and easy background tunes, OR none at all.
I've heard enough of those cheap speakers, they call Quality!

·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! That is amazing.
I know a bit about speakers, that the baskets if made sturdy and a good size magnet means a good size driver, which makes for great sound.
I'm amazed that they would have two different sized speaker magnets.
It really surprised me. I was told on another forum that they were the same speakers. For factory the rear speakers are pretty heavy duty. Dean

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It really surprised me. I was told on another forum that they were the same speakers. For factory the rear speakers are pretty heavy duty. Dean
Hey Dean E. I was looking online for them, I'd like to ask there they are made? Country that is.

·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dean E. I was looking online for them, I'd like to ask there they are made? Country that is.
IF you look at the second pic the tag says USA on the bottom but that could just be a reference on where the tag was made. I see nothing else on the speaker. Dean

·
Registered
166 Posts
I already had the Polks so I put them in and they bolt in just as easy as the fronts. The difference in sound altogether is great. For the money this is the best mod out there for the Chieftain or Roadmaster.
So Dean. For the money, would you advise just upgrading the front speakers on the Roadmaster? Could you tell any difference with the 521's up front and the stock in the rear versus the 521's in front AND rear?

·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Dean. For the money, would you advise just upgrading the front speakers on the Roadmaster? Could you tell any difference with the 521's up front and the stock in the rear versus the 521's in front AND rear?
There is a big difference in sound quality when comparing the stock front speakers to the Polks. That mod is well worth the money. As for the Tourpack speakers there is very little difference in sound quality. I would still put a slight edge to the Polks but to me not worth the money to swap out the back speakers. I did it just because I already purchased the speakers for the back. If I had to do it over again I would not have swapped the backs.

Honestly, going down the road (especially with a passenger on back) I hear very little from the tourpack speakers unless I turn my head to look over my shoulder. If you are more interested in sound out back the saddle bag lid speakers would be the ticket if you can stomach the price of adding that option. Dean E

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I'm going to check on those Polk speaker prices, verses stock Roadmaster rear speaker price, and then replace the front speakers with maybe the stock rears. Just a thought.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My thing is are Polk 521's the only option? I would think there are several aftermarket speakers out there with the same configuration or close to it, i.e. JL, Kicker...

·
Registered
58 Posts
What size are they, 5 1/2" or 6 1/2"?

·
Registered
58 Posts
watched youtube, looks like 5 1/4"

·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
5.25 marine speaker. Dean E

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yep. 5 1/4" marine grade speakers (for the weather proofing). that's what the Polk DB521 speakers are. And for $68 or so, that's a fair price for that quality sound upgrade.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yep. 5 1/4" marine grade speakers (for the weather proofing). that's what the Polk DB521 speakers are. And for $68 or so, that's a fair price for that quality sound upgrade.
o_O Are they that cheap? I thought I'd looked before and they were much more.

How difficult is swapping the fairing speakers?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts