Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What tour pack

• Chopped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • King

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Another option (add in comments)

Votes: 2 25.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife has started riding with me as a passenger. She doesn't ride super regularly (may be a weekend day a month), but that's enough that I need something comfortable for her.

I have an el-cheapo tourpack (was $100 Cdn) that has a wraparound backrest. She likes the backrest and prefers a wraparound backrest. That rules out a backrest with luggage rack (was my preference) and the leather trunk (was my second choice).

Since my bike is 2021 (Springfield DH), upgrading to the Roadmaster will cost way too much. Given the supply chain issues, I doubt Indian will have clearance on its tourpacks anytime soon. I've narrowed down two aftermarket options (both for Harley, but I can attach them to a quickrelease that works on my bike).

OPTION 1: A king tour pack (with a black instead of chrome luggage rack). I can make the side lights work as brake lights but the back is plain. I am not sure how it'll look on my bike if I leave it on permanantly. However, it's big enough to carry two fullsize helmets:

OPTION 2: A chopped tour pack - unlike the previous one, it comes with one lock (the previous one has a lock for each hardware. No light, which is fine with me too and the back won't look as plain.

I need advice of the tribe here. Help a brother out, what will look better and what are the other pros and cons I might be missing! They will both be in Harley's Denim Black colour which is close enough to thunderblack.

For reference, this is my bike with the el-cheapo pack that is falling apart.

This is it without any pack:

·
Registered
241 Posts
IMO. Option 1, Because if she is going, she's probably got baggage, meaning extra jacket, sweater, purse, etc. But with the quick release bracket for easy on/off
I recently got one just for storage on trips.so the big one is a little more versatile.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I built my own using the Indian quick release mount and a Harley trunk. Works out great for long trips. Sorry for the bad pic.

·
Rider
815 Posts
C76A550B-65BA-4111-B5A8-61402A6CE834.jpeg
E2F18F72-60D3-467A-AF0C-FBDBE2FC6D35.jpeg
43BAAFE7-DCF9-466A-B3B8-BBAB3BFBF4BC.jpeg
Not an Indian but this is the Tour Pack I had on my Harley Road King. It is aftermarket and the name of it is a Swinebox. I had it painted to match the bike. Not as tall as a King but had more Cubic inches and a half helmet fit. The backrest is Harley along with the rack on top of it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 642237
I built my own using the Indian quick release mount and a Harley trunk. Works out great for long trips. Sorry for the bad pic.
That's what I wanted, Viking bags has a trunk like that. But my wife insists on a wraparound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's what I wanted, Viking bags has a trunk like that. But my wife insists on a wraparound.
My wife said the same thing about a "wrap around". I told her she only rides with me on chapter rides, so no need to put all that money into in a few hour rides twice a month. This holds my full size skid lid on cooler days too. Great for trips and for $700 total.. Can't beat it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
511 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts