Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Founding Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: How do like touring after you installed the Stage 2 cams?
With 83K on my Chieftain thinking about a Stage 2 upgrade, wondering how it will affect my touring(mainly high speed passing and MPG).

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,056 Posts
I had the Stage Two done about 5000 miles or so after I bought the 2015 Chieftain new in 2015. They upgraded to a Stage One intake as I already had the exhaust. The bike just made more torque, even at lower rpm and right up into mid range rpm. Taking off in second gear was no problem at all and the motor just pulled harder going through the gears. I loved the lopey idle the cams created. It didn't do anything to gain any top end power but that torque increase was sure nice.

·
Bronze member
2,727 Posts
My experience was the bike pulled better above 3,000 rpm and there was no noticeable loss of power off idle. As far mpg, that depends on your right wrist. I had no complaints about mileage. My wife and I tour all over the country. My Roadmaster is normally the pack horse and my wife’s much lighter Springfield got right about the same miles before stopping for gas.

·
Rider
1,243 Posts
I did Indian Stage 2 Cams specifically for more power when touring out here in Montana. I went to Sturgis for the N Switch recall in May of this year, passing trucks uphills is so easy on 2 lanes, by time I was ready to pass I had dropped down into 5th gear behind a slow truck, when the opening came I hammered it, shifted at 3,500 into 6th, the engine almost explodes with power in those situations, great fun! Plenty of power everywhere, in the Mountains of Montana and our long sweeping Interstates.

All mods - Rinehart Slimline Dual exhaust, Rinehart 4" Slip on for Indian Touring, VooDoo Intake, Indian Stage 2 Cams, NGK Iridium plugs, PV3 from Fuel Moto, tuned by CraigB with his Stage 2 tune. Also use the K&P S1 Lifetime filter. 75 mph gets me around 41--42 mpg

I have not had this Thunder Stroke on a Dyno, my best guess would be, 95--100 hp, 125 ft pds torque. Sturgis tech said he never would have thought its a 111, he built it for me, said its a beast. =)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Recently had Lloydz 585 cams installed in my '19 Chieftain Limited, along with a dyno tune. HP went from 86 to 102, and torque went from 119 to 120. From my experience the power gains are in the low and top ends . . . no improvement in the mid range. The sound is much better, with a nice lopey rumble. As far as touring . . . the bike is louder, passing at higher rpm's (3500+) is much stronger. In the 3000 rpm range, I don't notice a lot of difference. Overall, I'm happy with the cam upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
At the dealership the service manager related to the fact some liked stage 2 cams and some did not (put the original cams back in)
Interesting none the less.
Still thinking about it myself 4 years later.

·
Rider
1,243 Posts
At the dealership the service manager related to the fact some liked stage 2 cams and some did not (put the original cams back in)
Your Indian had Stage 2 cams in it when you bought it?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Rider
946 Posts
You will not be disappointed in the improvements in performance and MPG increases. We had a three way race once with stg1, stg2, and stg3 TS111s. stg2 & 3 walked over stg1 and stg3 beat stg2 by 5 bike lengths in a 1/4 mile. Both the stg2 & 3 will get over 50 MPG with cruize on and 55-65 MPH mid 40's at highway speeds. All bikes have been tuned, and that is the real difference in performance and MPG.

Reactions: Kost

·
Bronze member
3,646 Posts
when I put in stage II (I like them) my mileage went from 35-37 at 67... to 42-44mpg... and if I keep it at 62 mph or lower I will be at 51mpg... that is true calculations at fill up...

·
4,283 Posts
Stage 2 cams sound great and they do have better top end especially when paired with a good tune from a PV 3. Really noticed the difference when riding two up and passing. There are cams out there that do make better power but if you plan on riding your bike for many miles this is one of the safest mods out there to ensure the longevity of your 111. Dean

·
Rider
1,243 Posts
Stage 2 cams sound great and they do have better top end especially when paired with a good tune from a PV 3. Really noticed the difference when riding two up and passing. There are cams out there that do make better power but if you plan on riding your bike for many miles this is one of the safest mods out there to ensure the longevity of your 111. Dean
That's why I went Indian Stage 2, more low and mid range torque while not getting into the valve springs to maintain utmost reliability. ..motor and me both happy! =)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
178 Posts
Intake, exhaust and Stage 2 cams were installed in my 2014 Chieftain at about 15,000 miles. Now I am up to about 90,000 miles. I've been on a few 5000 mile trips and many 1000-2000 mile trips. I wouldn't go back to stage 1. All the extra weight I carry when traveling is compensated by the extra torque and better throttle response.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Intake, exhaust and Stage 2 cams were installed in my 2014 Chieftain at about 15,000 miles. Now I am up to about 90,000 miles. I've been on a few 5000 mile trips and many 1000-2000 mile trips. I wouldn't go back to stage 1. All the extra weight I carry when traveling is compensated by the extra torque and better throttle response.
Well now I am going to see the dealership about it.

·
178 Posts
My bike developed a bad stalling problem about 1000 miles after the stage 2 upgrades. The dealer reflashed the stage 2 tune several times and finally recommended going back to stage 1 when it couldn't be fixed.
The service manager stated that other customers with the same problem had gone from stage 2 back to stage 1 because the dealer could not get the problem fixed with Indian tunes.
Instead I purchased a PV3 with a custom tune by CraigB and my bike performance changed like night and day.
Indian tunes seem to be emmissions based, CraigB's tunes seem to be performance based...........I'm not an expert, just a rider.

·
4,283 Posts
My bike developed a bad stalling problem about 1000 miles after the stage 2 upgrades. The dealer reflashed the stage 2 tune several times and finally recommended going back to stage 1 when it couldn't be fixed.
The service manager stated that other customers with the same problem had gone from stage 2 back to stage 1 because the dealer could not get the problem fixed with Indian tunes.
Instead I purchased a PV3 with a custom tune by CraigB and my bike performance changed like night and day.
Indian tunes seem to be emmissions based, CraigB's tunes seem to be performance based...........I'm not an expert, just a rider.
Yeah, I did the stage 2s when they first came out in 2015. The factory flash was horrible! Way too lean and the ignition timing way too far advanced. I first went with a Dobeck tuner and just richening up the AFR really helped but still nothing compared to doing the PVCX from FuelMoto and a @CraigB1960 tune. That and adding the Jackpot header mod made my RM a touring beast. Just need to change the pistons out to get rid of that clanking noise. Got those already and should be on my winter project list. Dean

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, I did the stage 2s when they first came out in 2015. The factory flash was horrible! Way too lean and the ignition timing way too far advanced. I first went with a Dobeck tuner and just richening up the AFR really helped but still nothing compared to doing the PVCX from FuelMoto and a @CraigB1960 tune. That and adding the Jackpot header mod made my RM a touring beast. Just need to change the pistons out to get rid of that clanking noise. Got those already and should be on my winter project list. Dean
Are you talking about a Victory Jackpot header????

·
4,283 Posts
Are you talking about a Victory Jackpot header????
The Fuel Moto Jackpot Indian header. You can find it on the FuelMoto website. The longer primary header helps with a longer duration cam like the stage 2. Dean

1 - 20 of 39 Posts