Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finally got the Chieftain Classic I've been wanting for a year. Now I'm trying to determine the best set-up for touring. I'm coming from a Deluxe that was set up with large custom saddlebags and cavernous tour pak. I'm looking for ideas/examples (pictures please) of what others have done. I'd like to keep the 2-up seat. Probably add a passenger back rest for securing a pack. I can do a week with just the saddlebags on the chieftain, but I'd like to have more capacity for longer trips. Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Big D Custom Hitches/Racks makes hitches and racks for Indians (and Vics). If you had a receiver hitch and a rack, you could pack a lot of stuff in a bag and strap it to the rack. When not in touring mode, just leave the rack in the garage.

If you have Facebook, here is a link to his FB Page.

BigD Custom Motorcycle Racks

I'm thinking about putting on on my RM.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big D Custom Hitches/Racks makes hitches and racks for Indians (and Vics). If you had a receiver hitch and a rack, you could pack a lot of stuff in a bag and strap it to the rack. When not in touring mode, just leave the rack in the garage.

If you have Facebook, here is a link to his FB Page.

BigD Custom Motorcycle Racks

I'm thinking about putting on on my RM.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a little more elaborate than what I was thinking. I'm just looking for a good bag that would slide over a passenger backrest either on the passenger seat or on a luggage rack. I've seen pix on the forum of some nice setups with leather trunk bags on luggage racks.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Take a look at Leatherup website. They sell a lot of their products on Amazon. Saddlemen Leather makes some nice bags as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll check that out. The company I got my bags from for the deluxe is apparently out of business (Hog Deluxe).

·
Registered
364 Posts
T bags used to make a really nice bag like you are talking about. I have one and it works really good and has lots of room. I don't know if they are still around though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T bags used to make a really nice bag like you are talking about. I have one and it works really good and has lots of room. I don't know if they are still around though.

Thank you! It looks like T bags are still available online. Do you have any trouble sliding yours over a backrest?

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,742 Posts
Ultimate Roadmaster seat and Chopped trunk on an Indian mount. I also put passenger floorboards on for her and a driver backrest for me. The mid-rise bars make for easy control and long runs without any discomfort.
Freedoms True Dual exhaust headers run cool and my own custom intake works well with a PVCX tuner.
I also raised the mirrors about an inch for a better view and mounted my Garmin 665 Zumo on the dash for easy viewing.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thank you! It looks like T bags are still available online. Do you have any trouble sliding yours over a backrest?
No trouble, the pocket on the bag is actually 2 separate flaps with velcro on them. You can separate them then wrap them tight to whatever it is you are going over with the pocket. The velcro is quite strong too. There are eyelets in a few spots that I also use to secure it down tight and also to connect cargo nets to tie things to the bag, such as your coat or chaps. Mine even has wheels on it like a suitcase.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've got an '18 Chieftain. With the removable sissy bar & rack attached I've added a simple Viking bag that gives me all the room I need for solo or 2 up traveling. It's also removable depending on my needs

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Dan_Frisbie, I only seen those luggage trunks the other day on the forum one of the members had on and loved it, also put the amps etc for the stereo system anthem and still had enough rood for touring gear. Thanks for posting the link.

·
Rider
420 Posts
How did you have it on the bike? I followed the link. It doesn't look like these bags slide over a backrest. Did you use a luggage rack?
I spoke to them and they modified the bag for me. They removed the backrest pockets and in their place put on an open sleeve. It slid over the passenger backrest and it sat on my luggage rack. 2019.jpg

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,742 Posts
Dan_Frisbie, I only seen those luggage trunks the other day on the forum one of the members had on and loved it, also put the amps etc for the stereo system anthem and still had enough rood for touring gear. Thanks for posting the link.
Those are my links...
Just search for “Motorcycle Trunk” on Amazon. The whole setup (with Indian rack) was around $700.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got an '18 Chieftain. With the removable sissy bar & rack attached I've added a simple Viking bag that gives me all the room I need for solo or 2 up traveling. It's also removable depending on my needs

Thank you for the pictures! I've got Viking bags on my Sportster, so I'm familiar with the company and the quality. I was looking at Boss bags, too, but that's such a pricey option on top of the sissy bar and backrest. I love what you've done with your bike. I always say I want a bad ass blacked out look, and then end up with pretty. Can I ask about your seat? I was also looking at Corbins because I want to upgrade to a heated seat. I saw some weird language on their website about seat height not matching up to OEM specs. I'm short in stature and I have carpal tunnel so I'm a little concerned about how much the Corbin seat would change my foot on the ground/leverage and the angle of my arms/wrists. Did you feel a noticeable difference in seat height when you put the Corbin on?

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
FBA19138-CEE1-4D14-B129-D169F612707A.jpeg
Here’s a pic of my Chieftain. I put a Harley tourpak on mine. For a couple of reasons. 1- it’s 35lbs lighter then indians 2- It’s bigger and holds more. 3- I’m all in for about $1200.

·
Registered
77 Posts
FF_B-rad, that's the bag I've been looking for for some time. I went to the Viking site but not sure exactly which model you have. I lwant the orientation of the bag to the sissy bar rack (parallel not perpendicular) . What model is that bag?

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thank you for the pictures! I've got Viking bags on my Sportster, so I'm familiar with the company and the quality. I was looking at Boss bags, too, but that's such a pricey option on top of the sissy bar and backrest. I love what you've done with your bike. I always say I want a bad ass blacked out look, and then end up with pretty. Can I ask about your seat? I was also looking at Corbins because I want to upgrade to a heated seat. I saw some weird language on their website about seat height not matching up to OEM specs. I'm short in stature and I have carpal tunnel so I'm a little concerned about how much the Corbin seat would change my foot on the ground/leverage and the angle of my arms/wrists. Did you feel a noticeable difference in seat height when you put the Corbin on?
@ 6'3" the Corbin moved me back slightly from the OEM saddle which was perfect for my legs. My dealer installed the mid rise bars to help me find the sweet spot overall. The Corbin does sit me about an 1" higher than stock, but I've got a 14" LRS flared windshield which handled the any buffeting.
Overall I'm super happy with the seat and can ride all day without issue!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts