Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,502 Posts
Must've swapped out the tins from a 69 cubic inch ABS Scout on that red & black one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
great yet simple set up!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Once the world is up and running again planing to tour mid Cal to So Cal on my 60. I just replaced the front fork springs in my '17/60. Went with Progressive Springs.....wow what a difference.....no more highway high speed wiggle....rock solid front end. I also added extended reach handle bars.....much more comfortable with my 5'7 frame. It is interesting when I think about it......only changes I have made to this bike is comfort and ride-a-bility....30 years ago it was make it loud and fast. When I built the Gilroy Indian Scout (below) it was all about making it look good......problem was it was the most uncomfortable bike I ever rode....horrible.....a beautiful woman one day said to me....."wow, beautiful bike I bet she ride nice"......I said "nope.....she's painful to ride"......her response after a few seconds of pondering was....."Oh I get it....looks good but painful......like Stiletto heals". She put it into perspective!

Reactions: Nuguns

·
Registered
4 Posts
With so many of you going on touring rides......has anyone toured with a passenger? If so even if not.......has anyone changed the suspension to give a better ride?
I did just come back from a 6 day tour with my partner as pillion.
It was manageable and we will do it again but I think if 2-up riding is paramount, then I'd recommend the Springfield or similar.
You can see a full write-up on our thoughts here:
2017 Scout as a 2 person/pillion touring bike review

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
It was manageable and we will do it again but I think if 2-up riding is paramount, then I'd recommend the Springfield or similar.
Bluevolcano your write up on your touring trip on your Scout is awesome.....great information. Thank you

Reactions: bluevolcano

·
Bronze member
2,383 Posts
Actually, I would recommend the Springfield on any trip longer than a week. My Scout was the first ridden end to end on Route 66 back in 2016 (Chicago to the Santa Monica pier). I would not recommend it to tour with a pillion. If you ride "Lone Wolf" the problem will still be fuel capacity in some places. While I love my Scout there are many reasons to go to the larger 111 and 116 bikes for the longer tours. As the owner of a Scout and a Springfield I can state unequivocally that the long mileage days on the bigger bike (500 plus miles per day) won't leave you as beat up. The larger fuel capacity and cruise control also make life easier. You are spot on regarding the other limitations of the Scout as a long distance touring bike in your write up.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,502 Posts
Agreed. My downsize move from a Chieftain to a Scout made this very clear that the Scout isn't anywhere near as good to do distance riding on. Actually with the rough pavement around here it wasn't that good for short rides either. I've changed the seat twice and now have a Mother Road Customs Scout Springer seat which has improved the comfort quite a bit. The bike has a rear luggage rack and is for solo riding only.

·
Bronze member
4,865 Posts
I went from a Scout to a Springfield for this reason. There are several of us on the forum who made the same move.

·
Bronze member
2,383 Posts
I went from a Scout to a Springfield for this reason. There are several of us on the forum who made the same move.
The Springfield is the Indian most easily configured to be what you need your bike to be. I could have spent $10G trying to turn my Scout into a Springfield.Instead I bought the Springfield and added a few essentials (air horn, more lighting in back, luggage rack, to name a few). I still have my Scout (and love it)...but I recognize it's limitations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Springfield is the Indian most easily configured to be what you need your bike to be. I could have spent $10G trying to turn my Scout into a Springfield.Instead I bought the Springfield and added a few essentials (air horn, more lighting in back, luggage rack, to name a few). I still have my Scout (and love it)...but I recognize it's limitations.
That's the conclusion I have come to. I also don't want to be endlessly throwing money at something that I shouldn't. I will probably upgrade the suspension and be done with it, then get Springfield when the finances allow for it, but as @One-Eyed Jack has, will also keep the Scout. It's just too much fun to ride especially around the city and on short trips.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts