Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any one going on long tours with their Scout? Love to see some pictures posted....how you have it set up, where you are going, how it is with two up on a long multi day ride. How you load it up for a long tour? Is your passenger comfortable? I love my Scout....really want to tour with it.

Reactions: Numbers7of12

·
Bronze member
1,425 Posts
I have owned a lot of bikes as well. Toured on bikes back when only BMWs had some amenities for touring. Touring is a mindset. People have gone around the world on small MCs and scooters. Every thing depends on what you want and how you wanna do it. Naked bike, backpack,bedroll, minimal stuff. Or motels / KOA cabins every night. 300-500 or so miles a day. Don’t listen to dealers that say you need more luggage, bars, windshields, or anything else. If you have plenty of time and no set agenda, you make it up as you go. If you have responsibilities, and can only do short overnighters or weekend travels- that’s ok too. Spend a couple days, week, month, years. It’s all in the journey, big or small as long as it leaves you smiling at the end of the day.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very well said rodent62!!!

·
Bronze member
4,865 Posts
When I had the Scout I took it touring for weeks at a time. I had aftermarket saddlebags, a magnetic tank bag, and a rack bag on the back. That was sufficient room for all my stuff.

This pic is the only one I can find with my touring setup . It's not very clear as the sun was on the other side, but you can see the gear. This is with the 1920 Solo Saddle with AirHawk seat and OEM solo rack.

The rear rack bag is a Givi 15LT CargoBag, I think now discontinued. It fitted the OEM rack perfectly.

I used the tank bag for camera and personal stuff that didn't get left on the bike at lunch stops. The rack bag had wet weather gear and gloves etc. In the saddlebags I had individual drybags (kayak gear) to sort my clothes.

Scout Submarine.jpg

·
Registered
244 Posts
The longest Ive taken mine was from SF to LA and back. Not super long, but long enough to highlight what I needed on the bike. Better suspension for sure, better seat too. Luggage rack because my back was hurting from carrying everything. Possibly better grips that dampens the vibrations at the bars too, because after a prolonged ride, it really got to me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
4,865 Posts
Yep, suspension.

Mine was a 2016 Scout 60 with the old suspension. I changed it for better rear shocks and different fork springs and oil. On one trip I came across somebody with a Mother Roads sprung saddle and after sitting in it to check it out I considered buying one for my bike. As it happened I moved to a Springfield without going the sprung saddle path.

Vibrations from the bars were not a worry to me, but I had a PVCX and FuelMoto tune and that made the motor run a lot smoother.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really touring but a great ride. Today I rode from Gilroy to Saratoga up to Skyline blvd to the well known Alice's Restaurant hung with other riders, rode down the mountain hwy 84 through La Honda stopping for a break at the cool dive bar Apple Jacks then to San Gregorio store.....up Stage Road to the ocean town of Pescadero. Then down Hwy 1 along the edge of California to Davenport and Santa Cruz stopped for a bowl Pho (soup it was freezing) through Santa Cruz to Watsonville climbed over Hecker Pass back home. It was a 168 mile ride. Awesome ride......cold along the coast but feeling great!
The famous Alice's Restaurant. Steven Mcqueen, Marlon Brandon, Neil Young all have been there in the past! Arlo Guthrie sang about Alice's Restaurant

APPLEJACKS......crazy cool!
Swanton Berry Farm where everyone pays on the honor system.....and most people are so honored by the jester they leave more money......very cool!!!

Reactions: fsccdude and Klyde1

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've read about Alice's. Been meaning to stop by there one day when I have time. Hopefully before my move to Juneau. Taking my scout with me. Going to ride to Bellingham from SF and ferry to Juneau. When I decide to move back, I will ride the Alcan all the way back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read about Alice's. Been meaning to stop by there one day when I have time. Hopefully before my move to Juneau. Taking my scout with me. Going to ride to Bellingham from SF and ferry to Juneau. When I decide to move back, I will ride the Alcan all the way back.
That sounds like a great ride!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my current Indian Scout Sixty set up......wanting to add a windshield and a Corbin dual touring seat.
IMG_3084scout140.jpg

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,216 Posts
My father and I are riding our 2018 Scout 60s from British Columbia to Utah and back next week, ~5500 km round trip. Most I've ridden on my Scout so far is ~600 km a day for 3 or 4 days in a row. It all comes down to one's tolerance for discomfort. I learned to ride on lightweight dual-sports. Wind buffeting and tiny uncomfortable seats are all I've ever known so it doesn't really get on my nerves. I travel with nothing more than a decent backpack and plenty of straps. It'll fit a week's worth of shirts, socks, and ginch, a toothbrush, a small tent, and a small sleeping bag. Anything else I need I buy along the way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EPOCH6 that sounds like an amazing ride.....looking forward to hearing and seeing pic's of you and your fathers travels.

Reactions: EPOCH6

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you purchase those saddlebags? I like the Indian bags but not about to pay 900 bucks!
The bags are from Viking. They are a great deal for the money. They are the Indian Scout Pinnacle Motorcycle Saddlebags the price was $249.99 and they have a 15% discount right now going on......I used the quick disconnect mounts. They are locking, hard but leather on the outside. Really a great bag.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm riding my sixty from Idaho to Sturgis this summer and I can't wait! I have saddlebags and then have a dry bag to hook on my rear rack. I just installed a backrest. It should be about 1800 miles round trip (not including any rides we do when we get there). I can't wait!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm riding my sixty from Idaho to Sturgis this summer and I can't wait! I have saddlebags and then have a dry bag to hook on my rear rack. I just installed a backrest. It should be about 1800 miles round trip (not including any rides we do when we get there). I can't wait!!
That sounds incredible.....I certainly can hear the excitement in your post. Love to see pictures. I am curious what windshield do you have on your 60 (if you have one)

·
Registered
69 Posts
That sounds incredible.....I certainly can hear the excitement in your post. Love to see pictures. I am curious what windshield do you have on your 60 (if you have one)
I am pretty excited. It will be my dad and my husband and I. My dad has gone every year for probably the last 30 years. This will be my first time. I gave the OEM mid windshield.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts