Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Torx spec handle bars

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  LongRoadHome 
#1 · (Edited)
hey anyone know the torque pecs on the scout gooseneck? I thought 20 ft pounds
Thanks

#3 ·
I looked for that about handle bars and only found:

Instrument Panel Screw : 22 ft-lbs (29.8 Nm)

So it seems the Service Manual (Revision 1) might not refer to them another way, so the above basically means the speedometer housing but is also the upper handle bar mount.

BTW, I made an angle adjustment to mine a few weeks ago and didn't torque them to spec, so think I will check those now.
And I didn't see info about a special procedure but from my previous motorcycles I know to tighten the forward/higher bolts until bracket/clamp just touches, then tighten the rearward/lower bolts and recheck others again.
That's the way I learned to do those anyhow.

#4 ·
You're correct, LRH.
Page 302 in the service manual, Step 11:
"Line up the handlebar index mark made in STEP 9 and torque speedometer, starting with the front bolts, to specification.
Speedometer Bolts: 22 ft-lbs (29.8 Nm) Tighten Front Bolts First, then Rear"

Same initials as L Ron Hubbard, btw. Are you a Scientologist? lol

#8 ·
You're correct, LRH.
Page 302 in the service manual, Step 11:
"Line up the handlebar index mark made in STEP 9 and torque speedometer, starting with the front bolts, to specification.
Speedometer Bolts: 22 ft-lbs (29.8 Nm) Tighten Front Bolts First, then Rear"

Same initials as L Ron Hubbard, btw. Are you a Scientologist? lol
Although I do still have the old book Dianetics on a shelf someplace here I couldn't claim to be a scientologist. :D

Page noted, thanks!
I must have skipped over that one. I only saw page 445 about the "instrument cluster". Makes sense there would be handle bar instructions too. I did see that page now that I've looked... thought it was about other things when I saw the pictures! (words versus pictures with me and pictures win).

Reactions: Not-the-One
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.