Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,736 Posts
Brand name gas stations that are independently owned can buy gas from any supplier, and they usually do. If you want chevron with techron the only way to guarantee that is find a station that is owned by Standard Oil.
BTW I traveled 2,000 miles in Mexico and ALWAYS bought there cheapy gas and the RM ran like a champ.
My Stage 3 RM ran like shit on the one tank of gas I had to buy in Yellowstone NP last month. So don’t tell me there is not a quality gap in the fuel you buy and where you buy it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My Stage 3 RM ran like shit on the one tank of gas I had to buy in Yellowstone NP last month. So don’t tell me there is not a quality gap I the fuel you buy and where you buy it.
You failed reading comprehension 101. I specifically said that independent gas stations can buy any type of gas from anywhere, and you proved my point in Yellowstone.

Reactions: A-58

·
Bronze member
1,736 Posts
You failed reading comprehension 101. I specifically said that independent gas stations can buy any type of gas from anywhere, and you proved my point in Yellowstone.
I wasn’t directing my comments at you. I was only commenting to those who think that all fuel is the same.

·
Silver member
3,509 Posts
I puts the premium gas in my 2014 Vintage and 2018 Scag lawnmower all the time. In my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, well I usually rotate between premium and regular, depending on the price. At Costco, el premo all the way. Other places, well at least the mid grade gas. They always run like the aforementioned champs. Most of the time I fuel up at the Circle K nearest my house, sometimes at Costco. Always with the good stuff of course. Never a problem yet. Not saying that I will never have a problem, but so far the bazillion or so times that I've tanked up or topped off with no problems as opposed to the time that I might have a problem I think that the odds are in my favor of successful motoring. Gas is gas is gas. It all comes from the same refineries as mentioned earlier. Just a few additives here and there to barely make a difference. Of all the gas that I've siphoned out and got some in my mouth always tasted the same so there.

About the only thing that makes a noticeable difference in gas and where you buy it is the outrageous taxes added by state and local political entities.

·
Bronze member
4,710 Posts
As a fello aussie agree always use 98 in every vehicle I own and never the E-10. Am curious which brands you avoid though and why.
I aim for BP or Caltex first. A group of riding mates generally starts a day ride from a Puma outlet so I fill there. That's never been a problem.

I used to have problems with Shell when I had a Toyota 86 (didn't run smoothly at high demand) but the Springfield is OK with it. I didn't use it in the Scout. Similar car problems with United but haven't used it for the bikes when filling locally as the other brands are closer.

The local one I had problems with on the Scout is now branded Enhance, I guess that means they've joined a franchise as it was a different name when I was there. Perhaps their fuel has improved.

I used to use Mobil as I had a work based fuelcard but when they sold to 7-11 the new brand would not do that kind of card account so the card people moved to BP & Caltex. Then I heard of their employment practices and staff under-payments etc and gave them a miss. I've not been back as a regular but have used it when touring.

When I'm touring I fill with whatever is open. In smaller towns that sometimes means a local supplier of unknown quality. On a trip out to Broken Hill last year the bike ran increasingly poorly as we got further west. Fuel consumption dropped alarmingly, even when filling with major brands. The ride from Broken Hill to Wentworth is the lowest fuel consumption I've ever had on the Springfield, 261 kms / 20.15 litres. The tank only holds 20.8 ltrs. I was riding with CK (the famous bike with the horse saddle etc) and her fill was the same.

·
Rider
767 Posts
I buy my gas at circle K and it looks as if they are not a top-tier supplier. I believe they buy from Shell but Shell has different grades. I do not believe I have seen the top-tier sticker on their pumps. Put the same gas in a 2013 Chevy Sonic with a turbo but the last tank is from Chevron and it feels (butt) as though it's running better and smoother. Gunna switch the bike to Chevron.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I buy the recommend octane from name brand stations. I stay away from ethanol free as it normally gives me fits, since it costs more it seems to sit in the tanks around here and goes bad quickly and causes problems for me. It also depends on the vehicle as to how sensitive it is, my 74 Dodge Powerwagon I think would run off of diet cola and coal dust.

·
Registered
307 Posts
In my bike I always use Chevron premium if available. My trucks get regular Chevron. If I'm on a road trip I try to find a name brand station but sometimes that isn't possible. I haven't had any issues yet.

Phil

21 - 28 of 28 Posts