Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need to buy a hex set for working on my Bobber. Does anyone know what sizes I should get that would cover most of the general work?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Do not buy hex key tools from Harbor Freight. They do have some decent tools that I own and use regularly, but hex and star bit type tools need to be properly formed and heat treated or they will create more issues than they repair. Find a supplier of quality tools. It doesn't HAVE to be Snap-On, there are several good quality brands that are available almost anywhere. Look for Bondhus, Allen, Eklind, Chapman, and maybe even some Craftsman brand tools. Someone near you carries them, you just need to look.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lowe's sells Kobalt and Craftsman. I swear by those.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know what sizes you need, but do you have a hex key behind your license plate? The Scouts and 60s do. That's probably a good starting point. Also there is a maintenance manual floating around. That will have your answer too.

·
Bronze member
1,158 Posts
The triple clamps, axle clamp, handlebar clamp, saddlebag mounts, front fender bolts, oil drain plugs, an the majority of the engine case bolts are all #6 hex which happens to be the tool behind your license plate. The mirrors/levers are adjusted with a #5 hex. Two adjustable wrenches will go a long way for most nuts on the bike as well as shift rod, brake rod, and clutch cable adjustments. For any spaces that the wrenches don't fit you can probably get away with a single 3/8'' drive ratchet and a handful of sockets in sizes 8 - 13.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts