Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in an earier post, I bought a 2017 Chieftan elite that had only 450 miles on it. I just had the 500 mile service done, and I am learning a lot about programing it and maintaining it. I just ordered a oil dipstick wrench so i could check the oil level. Did this bike come with a tool kit? I didn't get it from the original owner, but if it did, what else should I get to take along with me on road trips? It has mag wheels, so i am assuming it has tubeless tires, so I will carry a plug kit and mini compresser. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, frank

·
Rider
944 Posts
Multi tip screwdriver, electrical tape, zip ties, allen wrenches, wrenches, canvas bag, you already mentioned the plug set and compressor. Others will have things to add as this was a quick list. You probably don't need to carry all of the tools as their weight will add up quickly. But if you start to buy two or three of one type of tool you get to the point you mine as well buy the set. Of course, if you have these things at home use them.

This is the kit that comes with the bike. Air gauge, canvas bag, #30 torx, #6 allen with #2 phillips, #5 allen, and a #4 allen. None of these are marked with sizes so I compared them to others in my toolbox I could have miss judged.

·
Rider
1,194 Posts
If you want to read through a bunch of suggestions for tools to carry, try this thread.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here's the kit I put together for my other bikes that's getting transferred to my Chieftain.
I don't have much faith in the tool kit from the factory so I added other allen keys screwdriver and T30 torx driver to supplement what's in the pouch.
The tire kit has the CO2 canisters to inflate the tire after plugging it . The blue container has spare fuzes and puller in it.
I don't feel the pencil tire gauges are all that accurate so I picked up a digital one, I tested it against 4 other gauges I have in the garage and they all match up with their readings.
I know I'm doubling up on the multi tools but, they fit in there so they ride along.
Kitty is just trying to sample the zip ties, he doesn't ride with me..
I got all of it packed in the mag pouch as shown.

Link to the tire kit
Amazon kit

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
My tool pouch also came with a plastic oil filler tool, looks a bit like a bottle opener.
I'm pretty sure that it would also double as a bottle opener, lol...

·
Rider
764 Posts
As I said in an earier post, I bought a 2017 Chieftan elite that had only 450 miles on it. I just had the 500 mile service done, and I am learning a lot about programing it and maintaining it. I just ordered a oil dipstick wrench so i could check the oil level. Did this bike come with a tool kit? I didn't get it from the original owner, but if it did, what else should I get to take along with me on road trips? It has mag wheels, so i am assuming it has tubeless tires, so I will carry a plug kit and mini compresser. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, frank
A good CO2 tire repair kit, some bungees, zip ties, tape, vice grip, and a nice small tool kit from harbor freight. And for me,, a large plastic trash bag for pouring rain conditions. One for me and one for the ol lady.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Over the years,I have learned to carry a small assortment of hand tools in my saddle bags.But the most important tool I have in my arsenal, is my hand tire pump and tire plug kit.[I use the SAFETY SEAL plugs which actually vulcanize to the carcus of the tire] I can't tell ya how many times I've come across some poor sole on the side of the road out in the middle of no where USA,lol,with a flat tire,and was able to get him,or her, goin again.And a simple thank you was all that was required!! However,if the machine uses tube type tires,then all bets are off.But most of the newer and larger machines are now using tubeless tires making it easy to put a plug in em so as to get goin again.A lot of guys will tell ya not to plug em.So my question is: Would ya rather ride the bike,OR,push the bike home or to a repair facility????? You be the judge!! lol lol lol If the tire is holding air,and the correct plug is used [which is what I use] then that plug will last the life of that tire cause the tire plugs I use bond to the tires' carcus.However,if more then one plug is needed,meaning ya have a decent sized hole in it, then ya need to change it,but atleast ya should be able to get home or to a repair facility with it.

But then again,I'm not too bright and haven't learned a thing over my million plus miles traveled over my 58 consecutive years mounted on two wheels. :rolleyes: Not too bright, Dave!!!lol lol

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Forgot to mention that Triple A [auto club] also offers a motorcycle membership [should you break down on the road].Wifey mentioned it to me,so I bought it.I think it was only a couple bucks more,not that I would actually need it,but it's nice to have as a [JUST IN CASE] !! (y) (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts