Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a Roadmaster to get to the axel nut to torque it proper the muff needs to come off or a special tool is needed. Where can I get the tool?

·
Registered
210 Posts
On a Roadmaster to get to the axel nut to torque it proper the muff needs to come off or a special tool is needed. Where can I get the tool?
I know the special tool may be nice, but if it is Indian specific, probably lots of $$. Its very easy to just remove the muffler, plus it gives you a chance to really clewan and polish before reinstalling.

·
Founding Member
525 Posts
27 mm is correct. You might also go by your northern tool, harbor freight or other tool store and pick up a cheap 27 mm combination wrench. The box end is nice for using on the rear axle nut also.

·
Founding Member
525 Posts
If you are not familiar with using a crow foot. Remember the torque wrench goes at a 90 degree angle.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
What special tool? I have a Chieftain DH and just use a socket and torque wrench to tighten the axle nut and I Do Not remove or loosen the muffler.

·
Bronze member
2,268 Posts
Because to do otherwise will give you a false torque reading. Same holds true for extending the length of a torque wrench - the reading on the wrench will not be accurate.

·
Bronze member
1,233 Posts
I use a Cresent Hammer an tight. But not to tight.

·
Registered
461 Posts
OK the coffee has kicked in now. You have to jack up the bike to do a belt adjustment. You will need a really good jack cause you don't want the bike falling over on you and crushing your riding season. I have a wheel chock to hold the front of the bike but you still need a good jack. Any hoo, after you get the belt adjusted and to nut is at the adjustment torque, lower the bike off the stand, let the air out of the shock, get your wife to come out to the garage, sit on the saddle, (my wife is too light to compress the suspension) and this should give her enough clearance to get a socket on there with an extension. Now if I can get her to change the oil.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts