Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Horseman of the Apocalypse & all around great guy!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

Wifey and I took the sidecar out for a spin on Saturday. Had a couple of GoPros with us, so I did a bunch of editing and chopping and put together a fun little video. If you've never been through Grand Forks, North Dakota, this ~4 mins will give you a good idea of what it's like. Turn up the volume, too. The soundtrack rocks. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
535 Posts
Was wondering, how does it drive? Does it pull to the left? How hard is turning?

·
Registered
712 Posts
How do you like driving the sidecar? My wife has a 2015 Triumph with a Watsonian sidecar. I don't like driving that thing over 50 mph.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Nice rig. Nothing quite grabs attention like a sidecar.

I took our Scout/Sidecar rig out on Saturday as well. I went to a parking lot just outside the city to practice flying the chair for long distance. A cop pulled into the parking lot and just sat there and watched me. I think he thought it was unsafe and was figuring out what he could cite me for. He was on the radio a couple of times and watching me intently. After about 45 minutes I nodded to him, he nodded back, and I rode off.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
How do you like driving the sidecar? My wife has a 2015 Triumph with a Watsonian sidecar. I don't like driving that thing over 50 mph.
The Indian handles a Sidecar very well. I just got done putting 600 miles on my Dark Horse/Hannigan rig this past weekend and it cruises very nicely at 75 to 85 mph on the Highways.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Was wondering, how does it drive? Does it pull to the left? How hard is turning?
That really depends on the Sidecar that you put on the Bike. The weight of the Sidecar makes a huge difference. As does whether or not you have a brake on the Sidecar Wheel. Typically the rig pulls to the Right when you accelerate, and when you brake if the Sidecar has a good brake. It will pull to the left when you decelerate or let off on the throttle. Crown of the road causes the rig to pull to one side also (this is where Electric Camber Control is really nice). Steering is harder the bigger and heavier the Sidecar is - also tire size makes a difference in handling. A bigger tire (wider) makes steering harder. There are other factors at play also.

·
Rider
879 Posts
How does Fuel range do with the sidecar?
I have yet to get over 28MPG.
A couple other observations; I Posted Elsewhere, but Are Valid.
Couple of things I would Not have Opted for, turn out to be Absolutely Wonderful.
I was intending on the Hannigan Heritage Rig. But, I would have opted for a Steering Damper and Not the Raked Tree, nor the Electric Camber Control.
Would have been a Mistake.
I was Bass-Ackwards.
The Indian the Wif got has ECC and Raked trees, and No Damper.
For our Neck of the woods...The set-up can't be beat.
I can actually set the Cruise, and dial in the ECC to ride with No Hands...
Untill the road surface changes...Happens alot out here in my part of the Rhubarbs!!!
Having Never [Ever] used ballast, IDK what effect that would Have tho.
I can say that going from Empty car, to Pillion passenger and Hack Monkey both, Is Easily accounted for.

Just My Observation!
FWIW

·
Registered
199 Posts
Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not a big hair band guy, but Cinderella's "Long Cold Winter" is a great blues album and "Gypsy Road" is a perfect motorcycle soundtrack. It's on my Chieftain iPod.

Reactions: ptrthgr8

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Fantastic looking ride, great video.
Too bad you have to park it 5-6 months out of the year!

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, runs pretty straight.while cruising, doesn't take much to keep it pointed in the right direction. Turning is easy, too, even without the modified/extended triple tree. (Doesn't turn as tightly as my Ural did, but also a lot bigger than my Ural, so...) Under braking or acceleration you can feel the sidecar's inertial impact, but even then it's minor. I opted for the electric trim on this bike since it was supposed to make it even easier to keep the bike straight in high cross winds or uneven road surfaces, but I've not felt the need to use it at all. It's generally pretty flat in North Dakota, but it's also always windy as hell here, so I would have thought I would have felt the need to use the trim by now. If I could do it over, I would probably not go with that option again.

I love driving it! Handles just fine and seems entirely stable at all speed - I've had it on I-29 quite a bit. 75 MPH speed limit, so most people go at least 80 MPH. This sidecar handle that just fine. (Fastest I've had it was 90 MPH.) I'm not a huge fan of passing semi trucks at those speeds, though. When you get up towards the cab you can feel all the wind being pushed around from the front of the truck and it feels like you're driving through a mini wind tunnel. But it's still stable. The only thing I really hate about riding at those higher speeds is the bug splats. LOL

How does Fuel range do with the sidecar?
Generally crappy. LOL I don't think anyone ever got a sidecar and said "I'm going to get awesome gas mileage from this thing!" I suppose it's all relative, though. When cruising at 65 MPH it gets right around 25-26 MPG. While riding around in town it gets closer to 22-24 MPG. That's with a passenger. I haven't done much riding at all without the wifey.

Fantastic looking ride, great video.
Too bad you have to park it 5-6 months out of the year!
That ain't no lie. But because it has three wheels, and a heated seat for the wifey, my riding season is generally extended by a week or two, compared to my friends on two wheels. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, all.

Wifey and I took the sidecar out for a spin on Saturday. Had a couple of GoPros with us, so I did a bunch of editing and chopping and put together a fun little video. If you've never been through Grand Forks, North Dakota, this ~4 mins will give you a good idea of what it's like. Turn up the volume, too. The soundtrack rocks. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Help. Send me manufacturing specs and all the bells and whistle. My wife wants and needs a side car. As you can see I have a vintage red and cream. Really appreciate your help. If you prefer contacting by e mail or phone being easier that's a great option

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Help. Send me manufacturing specs and all the bells and whistle. My wife wants and needs a side car. As you can see I have a vintage red and cream. Really appreciate your help. If you prefer contacting by e mail or phone being easier that's a great option
Check out DMC's site for all the info and pricing. We got the Tomahawk SE sidecar, with pretty much all of the options. This page shows all the costs and details:

Tomahawk SE Sidecar

That should get you started in the right direction. Jay (owner) is a great guy and passionate about what he does. I spoke with him over the phone a few times before pulling the trigger; he always takes the time to answer all questions. Wifey and I even got a tour of the shop and saw our sidecar in process while I was in Seattle last October. He has a earned a well-deserved reputation for high quality and great customer service. I would never hesitate to send anyone to DMC.

Cheers!

Greg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts