Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory demo truck was at my local dealership (Lincoln, NE) the past couple days. I finally found time to get out there this evening and got a demo ride on this beauty:

scout.jpg

The first thing that struck me was how small the Scout is compared to my current bike (BMW R1200R) and to the rest of the Indian lineup. Also noted how light it feels. When we got underway, the next thing that struck me was I could barely reach the foot pegs and had to stretch to get my toe under the shifter. After every stop I was flailing around trying to find where to put my feet! I'm so used to having them right under my butt. Anyway, it was a fun ride through the countryside. Fortunately, the ride was on all smooth pavement with no potholes - there ain't much travel in the rear shocks.

The bike felt fairly quick and was loping along at 70 or so. It was a guided group demo ride, so didn't get a chance to open it up. My only complaint - other than the ridiculous riding position - is the rear cylinder's exhaust header was a bit too close to my right leg for comfort. Stopped with both feet down it is pretty easy to rub against it. I was very glad I had my Kevlar-lined jeans on.

Indian is going to sell these as fast as they can make them, I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for your review. I have read that the feet and handlebars can be adjusted. I know alot of these aftermarket companies be making floorboards and risers for the Scout.

Tell me how it sound.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I can imagine that it would seem almost comically smaller than a big BMW like you are used to.

Thanks for the review! I have a buddy with a HD 48 and his pipes are so close to the legs that it is downright uncomfortable all the time. I am coming from a Triumph that has the pipes routed out the front and down, so this is going to take a little getting used to.

What kind of kevlar lined jeans are you running? I just got some Maple Jeans, and I absolutely LOVE them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell me how it sound.
I was in a group of about a dozen Indian bikes of all sizes so couldn't hear it too well - but what I could hear sounded good - not too loud, but loud enough; smooth - not a "harley" sound at all.

NickJ said:
What kind of kevlar lined jeans are you running?

Diamond Gusset Defender jeans. Love 'em.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I will ride one tomorrow and will post my feelings. As far as the reach goes, I came off a Yamaha fz 1000 which has almost sportbike ergonomics, so know what your talking about. You would get used to it and it would become second nature to you after a very short time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I will ride one tomorrow and will post my feelings. As far as the reach goes, I came off a Yamaha fz 1000 which has almost sportbike ergonomics, so know what your talking about. You would get used to it and it would become second nature to you after a very short time.
Did you get out on Scout?

·
Registered
558 Posts
The factory demo truck was at my local dealership (Lincoln, NE) the past couple days. I finally found time to get out there this evening and got a demo ride on this beauty:

The first thing that struck me was how small the Scout is compared to my current bike (BMW R1200R) and to the rest of the Indian lineup. Also noted how light it feels. When we got underway, the next thing that struck me was I could barely reach the foot pegs and had to stretch to get my toe under the shifter. After every stop I was flailing around trying to find where to put my feet! I'm so used to having them right under my butt. Anyway, it was a fun ride through the countryside. Fortunately, the ride was on all smooth pavement with no potholes - there ain't much travel in the rear shocks.

The bike felt fairly quick and was loping along at 70 or so. It was a guided group demo ride, so didn't get a chance to open it up. My only complaint - other than the ridiculous riding position - is the rear cylinder's exhaust header was a bit too close to my right leg for comfort. Stopped with both feet down it is pretty easy to rub against it. I was very glad I had my Kevlar-lined jeans on.

Indian is going to sell these as fast as they can make them, I think.
If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm selling my K1200LT and moving to a Scout (Indian Red on reserver) and ordered it with the foot control extensions. I knew the bike was going to be smaller and with my 6' 1-2" frame thought having some length in the inseam might be an advantage. I drove a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic for a few years and it's a bike that is very close to the dimensions of the Scout.

·
Registered
558 Posts
About 6" shorter than you.
Whew! Than I think I made a good choice in adding the extended controls! It's nice that Indian is offering options to make the fit be right for everybody.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Scout won't be in the UK for a month or so yet, I'm 6'4" so I'm guessing I'm going to need the extended reach controls. The Scout is going to be over $16 k here but then so is a 48 .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts