Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I towed my Springfield in the 10' cargo trailer behind our 24' Class C motorhome in hopes of riding most of Yellowstone NP. Unfortunately it has been in the low 30's with intermittent snow and rain since we arrived yesterday. It snowed steadily for half an hour as we drove in from Cody WY until we dropped below 7K', our campsite is at 6,680 in West Yellowstone.

Tomorrow might be doable but Wednesday through the weekend look much better and I hope to get a couple of days riding Yellowstone before moving down to Grand Teton NP on Friday. Even with the late spring storm this place is amazing!

:cool:

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OP here with an update...

Left this morning at 0930 and 56 degrees/no wind and headed into Yellowstone. The temps dropped as the elevation rose but even at the continental divide {north of 8,300'} the coldest I saw was 47 and that with a foot or more of snow on the ground. Skirting the lake we got a little rain but not enough to be an issue. By the time we stopped 40 minutes later the windshield was clear and it had warmed up to 53 {woo hoo!}. Returning to camp at 2:00 after 130 miles of too much fun and it was a balmy 62... should be about 5 degrees warmer tomorrow so I'm planning and 0900 departure.

Riding Yellowstone has become my new bestest thing on earth to do {its better than sex used to be}. :ROFLMAO:
The normal crowds this time of year have disappeared like a virgin on prom night and for 70% of our ride I had no one in front or behind which enables those so inclined {Who me?} to wick it up a tad above the 45 mph speed limit prevalent in most of the park. One of the all time highlights of riding the park is the "Grand Canyon of Yellowstone" with waterfalls up to 308' high and roaring.

We got to see a Grizzly Bear briefly as I dodged all of the idiots trying to get a better look while still driving...arrrrg! Even got a great look at a Wolf trotting down the opposite lane, he kept looking over his shoulder at us even as we slowed to about 5 mph so as not to crowd him before disappearing off the road into the woods.

One more day of riding in the park and then on Friday we head down to Grand Teton Nation Park about 2.5 hours south of here but we have to drive down through Yellowstone on more time to get there... oh damn. a couple of days in GT and then probably take the run on 20 along the Snake River Canyon over into Idaho before heading south down through Utah and ultimately home to southern Arizona {where it has been triple digits a lot}.

Riding Yellowstone can be a challenge with a very short season unless you are willing to deal with the incredible insanity of July and August crowds. Every other month of the year will pose some serious weather challenges but hey... you might get lucky as have we and the experience is one not to be missed in this or any lifetime... Trust Me!!!

(y)(y)(y)

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We got waaaay better this morning... Temps in the low 60's when we left at 0930 and mid 70's when we returned around 2. Lots of critters out and about and way too many park visitors, I can only imagine, and not in a good way, just how crowded Yellowstone is during the second half of June not to mention July and August.

Tomorrow we head south down through the south entrance bound for Grand Teton NP/Jackson Hole. We have reservations for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

The beast is running so sweet, yesterdays ride got me 50.0 mpg and today going a tad slower due to the crowds I saw 52.08. Before you cry BS keep in mind that the speed limit in the park is mostly 45 with some 25/35 and with the crowds 50 - 60 is about all you can do and not for all that long. BTW, 93 octane up here is selling for $3.12 a gallon but who freaking cares.

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts