Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes I have the tinted 14.5" for my Roadmaster and love it. Tint is not all that dark , but it definately looks better on my black bike. Funtionality is great also. Flips more air up and over than stock, even at lower heights. Make sure you buy it on sale, as they have many 50% or more off sales throughout out the year.

·
Bronze member
3,129 Posts
Steve27: is the 12" the same height as the stock RM windshield, shorter, taller? Also, how tall are you?

·
Bronze member
3,129 Posts
Again, I'm new to Indian and don't pick my bike up until next week. I demo rode a Chieftain, but bought a RM. how much taller is the RM windshield vs the Chieftain's? I'm 5'9, so it would seem the 14" Tomahawk would be too tall for me to see over if fully extended...and the 14" is 1 in shorter than stock, right?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Again, I'm new to Indian and don't pick my bike up until next week. I demo rode a Chieftain, but bought a RM. how much taller is the RM windshield vs the Chieftain's? I'm 5'9, so it would seem the 14" Tomahawk would be too tall for me to see over if fully extended...and the 14" is 1 in shorter than stock, right?
The 2016 Chieftans may have a shorter wjndshield than the RM. The dealer should know the height of the stock shield.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Measured from the bottom center mounting screw in the shield the stock Roadmaster is 15". The Long Ride Shield 14" (not 14.5" as I mistakingly said in my earlier post) is measured from same point, so it is one inch shorter than stock. The recurve makes it act like it is taller than the stock shield though. I can run it 1-2 inches below full elevation and easily see over (I'm 6' 2"), yet the wind is all sailing harmlesly a few inches above the top of my helmet. Can hear the stereo better now, even at highway speeds. Just cruising around town it is nice to put it all the way down and it is then about an inch lower than the stock shield goes. Regarding price I would say they are defintely inexpensive when bought on one of the great Long Ride Shield sales, but they are high quality and I would never use word "cheap" to describe. I have the the light tint which I like.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
These windshield people measure windshields differently. Some measure from the bottom of the shield and some measure from the bottom screw mount to the top. Beware of that.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
My 2015 Chieftain stock windshield was way to high for me, 2016 Chieftains come with a stock shorter windshield than my 2015.

I am 5'9", so went with a Windvest 12" tinted flip windshield. Works great for me and looks good.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Founding member
1,063 Posts
You guys have me tempted. The top of the shield at full height is right in my line of sight. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone notice if the (tinted) Tomahawk Recurve reduced the amount of glare and reflection from the dash / instrument cluster? My stock windshield quite often had a lot of glare and reflections in it. For most people it would not be noticeable but, for those of us with astigmatism, I'll take all the glare reduction I can get.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Anyone notice if the (tinted) Tomahawk Recurve reduced the amount of glare and reflection from the dash / instrument cluster? My stock windshield quite often had a lot of glare and reflections in it. For most people it would not be noticeable but, for those of us with astigmatism, I'll take all the glare reduction I can get.
It has been awhile since I had the stock shield on, but my recollection is there was a slight reduction in the glare, but not anything I would descibe as significant. You probably know this but you can now get a painted dash to replace the chrome which I would think should eliminate most if not all of the glare versus stock. Genuine Indian part, so $$$$$$.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts