Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had an issue trying to remove the factory toe shiftier its a 2019 Chieftain and it say to remove via hand or strap wrench but it does not see to work and also spraying the inside of the shiftier with WD48 does not help ?

·
Vendor / bronze
2,846 Posts
They are often on tight. You might even ruin the rubber trying to get it off. If that happens you can then grip the metal under the rubber with vise grips and get a good turn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with the heat. I broke mine off using channel locks, drilled it out to the size of my easy out, then broke that, had to buy a new shifter.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Lucky for us, red Loctite will release under sufficient heat. Unlucky, some have found out just how tough that stuff is at ambient temps. Blue Loctite is plenty strong enough for everything on these bikes.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I was able to get mine off with channel lock pliers.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I needed a heat gun for about 3-4 minutes on high; aimed at the shifter not the rubber.

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
When I changed my clutch cable,I had to remove the left floor board,the shift linkage,the crash bar,and then loosen the left frame rail in order to slip the old clutch cables' end by it,and the new clutch cables' end back thru it,but had no problems removing any of those fasteners.Then on reassembly,I sparingly used never-seize on every bolt and nut so the next guy that has to take it apart,[which could very well be me] will be able to do so without fighting with those fasteners,while making up new four letter words that have never been heard before!! lol lol .

BTW!!! When I did this job,[not that long ago] I did NOT find any of those nuts or bolts, TOO TIGHT,TOO LOOSE or FALLING OUT!. If and when I do it again,it should be a piece of cake!!

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
If ya use the right tool to do the job,you'll find that it will go along a lot easier,not to mention,you won't be cutting your hands all to hell while making up words never heard before!! lol lol .After buying this machine,I soon discovered that there were a couple things that needed a tool that I did NOT have to work on em! Past tense. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to use what Indian told me to use my hands or a strap wrench nothing in the instructions said Loctite used and channel locks may be needed.o_O

1 - 12 of 12 Posts