Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was unpleasantly surprised when I went to my Indian dealer today thinking about a new bike when he offered me 13 grand for my 2017 Roadmaster with very low miles. I know its bad time of year and all but wow!
My question is........ Is this my dealer or are we seeing low numbers like this around the country.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Get out the Blue Book for average dealer trade values. Private sale will always be a better option if you have the time and patience to locate a buyer. Dealers are in it to make money. I checked trade on my two-year-old 2017 Ford F150 Sport- perfect condition, supposedly worth only 50% of what I paid for it. If I hadn't made a large down payment plus one large balloon payment on it, It would be upside down in a very big way. The nature of the game it seems. Indian motorcycles are not quite that steeply depreciated from new. In the case of the Ford truck - 50% of value in 2-years is brutal on a 38,000 $ purchase.

·
Bronze member
3,061 Posts
so with the Indian incentives your bike would be 15K... is that where you thought or were you thinking more?.. you are dealing with 4 years of deprecation at this time with the 2020's around the corner.. which is about 4K a year.. seems a little steep... but I haven't looked at the used market lately.. but the more expensive the bike it seems the more they drop.. I would almost bet that same dealer would give a guy 13K on a 2017 Dark Horse...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get out the Blue Book for average dealer trade values. Private sale will always be a better option if you have the time and patience to locate a buyer. Dealers are in it to make money. I checked trade on my two-year-old 2017 Ford F150 Sport- perfect condition, supposedly worth only 50% of what I paid for it. If I hadn't made a large down payment plus one large balloon payment on it, It would be upside down in a very big way. The nature of the game it seems. Indian motorcycles are not quite that steeply depreciated from new.
Thanks for the reply. KBB says $16250 I guess I was just shocked, I didn't think that low. ole well I keep it for that kind of money. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so with the Indian incentives your bike would be 15K... is that where you thought or were you thinking more?.. you are dealing with 4 years of deprecation at this time with the 2020's around the corner.. which is about 4K a year.. seems a little steep... but I haven't looked at the used market lately.. but the more expensive the bike it seems the more they drop.. I would almost bet that same dealer would give a guy 13K on a 2017 Dark Horse...
Yep I did, Paid $29g's new in 2017, KBB says dealer trade in is $16250. I was kinda hoping to land around the $17000 mark +/- plus he's selling me a new bike.
I was just wondering if this was the norm around the country. I'll keep it for that kinda money. Hay Its business. I agree with you on the more expensive the more drop. Plus its not the most popular bike out there. Thanks for the reply!

·
Bronze member
2,829 Posts
Bikes are really down now,have seen evos for 3500,baggers for a couple thousand more.iron head sportsters are still holding around 3.have no idea what twinkies are doing.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Get out the Blue Book for average dealer trade values. Private sale will always be a better option if you have the time and patience to locate a buyer. Dealers are in it to make money. I checked trade on my two-year-old 2017 Ford F150 Sport- perfect condition, supposedly worth only 50% of what I paid for it. If I hadn't made a large down payment plus one large balloon payment on it, It would be upside down in a very big way. The nature of the game it seems. Indian motorcycles are not quite that steeply depreciated from new. In the case of the Ford truck - 50% of value in 2-years is brutal on a 38,000 $ purchase.

Are you including taxes etc or the actual sale price? Curious more or less, I usually buy a used vehicle that was a 1 year lease..saves the initial depreciation.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Buying used should also reduce or eliminate most of the taxes and fees except for registration. Perhaps not in all places though.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Yep I did, Paid $29g's new in 2017, KBB says dealer trade in is $16250. I was kinda hoping to land around the $17000 mark +/- plus he's selling me a new bike.
I was just wondering if this was the norm around the country. I'll keep it for that kinda money. Hay Its business. I agree with you on the more expensive the more drop. Plus its not the most popular bike out there. Thanks for the reply!

Dealers always use NADA guidelines which are much much lower than KBB

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I was unpleasantly surprised when I went to my Indian dealer today thinking about a new bike when he offered me 13 grand for my 2017 Roadmaster with very low miles. I know its bad time of year and all but wow!
My question is........ Is this my dealer or are we seeing low numbers like this around the country.
I’m sorry but they are trying to rip you off. I had an old customer call me. He owns a 17 chieftain Darkhorse. He was looking to trade to a 19. We offered him more than that. Quite a bit more. There is also a trade in allowance. 13 is way low.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Here is what NADA says. Keep in mind these are not trade in, but what the dealer could likely sell them for, so trade in is even less.

Roadmaster (Burgundy Metallic) 2017

Suggested List Price $29,599

Low Retail $15,175
Average Retail $19,970

So if you split the high and low retail, your looking at a dealer sale of 17K so the 13K trade in is a 4K difference, now if they added the incentives 1500.00 then it is closer.

·
Read Only
244 Posts
I’ve never had good luck trading in the fall, only when the dealer has a buyer that is likely to purchase. You have a beautiful bike in great condition, be patient cause time is on your side and the right time to trade will appear eventually! I’ve been through this many times in my life and it can be frustrating when you would like to treat yourself to a new one. Good luck! Larry

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Here in Australia the dealers always try to give you the lowest wholesale for your bike. Then try to sell you their new bikes at full retail. So you need to know what the bike that your selling is going for in the market and then expect to use that as a base price and take a few thousand off that but try too get the higher price that you can achieve , if you sell to a dealership. The then same goes with the new bikes research see what they are selling for with any discount deals going on. Then bargin your little heart out and meet some place in the middle where you are both happy.
The basic formulas are
If you pay a higher price for newer bike you aim to get a higher trade in price .
If you pay a lower price for the new bike, expect to get a low trade in price.
It is a game of numbers to work out what you want to pay for a change over after doing the research on the values of both your bike and the new one. Then you have good chance of getting the change over you wanted and that you would be happy paying.
Last of all if you finance you will near always pay more. If you pay cash you can reach a better outcome. If you have no trade in that also works in your favour as the dealers don't have to stock your trade and hope to sell it on quickly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The best thing you can do is advertise her and sell it on your own. And if your patient she will sell and maybe not top price but probably a hell of lot better than the dealer trade price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually the "best" thing to do is keep it and ride it. If its a low mile bike, why not keep it? What are you really gaining from the new bike other than a color change? 13k is NADA low trade. If theyre giving you a killer deal on the new bike, 13 is all you can expect. If youre paying retail on the new one, you should be getting closer to retail on your trade. That would be fair in my book.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
The best thing you can do is advertise her and sell it on your own. And if your patient she will sell and maybe not top price but probably a hell of lot better than the dealer trade price.
If your lucky as bikes and cars have been sitting on the car sales and bike sales sites for years and not found a buyer. The other thing is you get so many people trying to screw you over and also waste your time ,with no intention of buying the bikes. I rather get the change over price I am happy with and let the dealers see if they can sell your old bike. As long as you get the price your looking for it makes life so much more easy.

·
Bronze member
3,061 Posts
around here we have a consignment store for all sport type vehicles summer is heavy ATV/Motorcycle winter is heavy Snowmobile... cost is 150 -500 depending on how much you want for the bike.. they detail it and put it on their showroom floor and it's on their web site... they are next to the HD dealer and Indian dealer.. a lot of people take it there to get rid of their bikes instead of trading them in... and he has a bunch of customers like Jbackland that switch bikes like most people switch underwear... bikes move rather quickly... once in a while you'll see one for a couple of months... Indians really never last over two weeks... Victory's last about 2 weeks... Harley's will sit up to 1-2 months... but most the Harley guys are still living in the 90's as far as what they actually think their bike is worth..

Reactions: Geoff-3
1 - 20 of 37 Posts