Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
Nice comparo!
Does it run differently (better or worse) with db killer?

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have the DB killer in mine, and the tune is the same for both with or without. I can say mine runs great but I haven't taken the db killer out to compare

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Here is a back to back comparison of the Toce lowmount with and without the db killer installed. It’s about a 5db difference throughout the rev rang.

actual db levels are lower on both systems, video was taken in a garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did I read the meter correctly that they are running over 108db?

·
Bronze member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s an iPhone db app and in a garage. The overall db numbers aren’t accurate. The differences between the two are.

·
Rider
1,703 Posts
We're only talking about a 5% reduction in higher rev range (the same figure most 'quiet' baffles profess to attain) which would be hard to discern with the naked ear. However if you got early starts it may help the neighbors make less noise than your zorsts when complaining and bumping their gums?

😇

·
Registered
523 Posts
We're only talking about a 5% reduction in higher rev range (the same figure most 'quiet' baffles profess to attain) which would be hard to discern with the naked ear. However if you got early starts it may help the neighbors make less noise than your zorsts when complaining and bumping their gums?

😇
Not gonna lie... had to google "zorsts"

·
Registered
179 Posts

😇
A 5dB reduction is much more than 5%.
An increase of 3dB doubles the sound intensity but a 10dB increase is required before a sound is perceived to be twice as loud. Therefore a small increase in decibels represents a large increase in intensity. For example - 10dB is 10 times more intense than 1dB, while 20dB is 100 times more intense than 1dB.
I'll leave it to others to decide how loud things are, but a real 5dB is pretty good.

·
Rider
1,703 Posts
I know it was only an Iphone dB app but what is 5% of 108 dB? Apologies it is 5.4 dB and not 5 as mistakenly stated.

As an example across the Vance and Hines Quiet Baffle range they profess a reduction of between 2 and 6 dB which as a percentage of the overall dB output of a motorcycle is 'small potatoes' unless you ride a Harley of course where 'larger potatoes' are a must have for some?

😂😇

Toce themselves profess their dB killer baffles reduce noise by 8-10 dB for the FTR which is a little more like it I would imagine and should be by nature clearly discernible?

·
Bronze member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With a read db monitor I believe it’s closer to 100 with the killer in. As a friend of mine runs the hooligan circuit in Cali. He has two mufflers. One with and one without. He has to run the baffle at certain tracks. So it gets it down low enough to meet certain regulations.

I personally am not a fan of any baffled exhaust sound. I like it being slightly quieter. But the muffled sound doesn’t work for me.

My racefit was the same way. With about a similar reduction in sound levels with the db killer in.

Db killer is since out of this pipe and will most likely be for sale

·
Registered
996 Posts
I personally am not a fan of any baffled exhaust sound. I like it being slightly quieter. But the muffled sound doesn’t work for me.
I understand that, it's a personal reference thing.
Tony's Vance and Hines was started ONCE without the baffles in it. the best way to describe it was 'offensively loud'
now it might sound 'better' with them out but we're trying to avoid the plod here lol.
therefore DB killer stays in for me.
I didn't receive the tool to remove it anyway so...kinda stuck lol
who knows if I do a track day on the FTR i might take it out (if I can remove it)

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
I understand that, it's a personal reference thing.
Tony's Vance and Hines was started ONCE without the baffles in it. the best way to describe it was 'offensively loud'
now it might sound 'better' with them out but we're trying to avoid the plod here lol.
therefore DB killer stays in for me.
I didn't receive the tool to remove it anyway so...kinda stuck lol
who knows if I do a track day on the FTR i might take it out (if I can remove it)
If it's too loud, it's too loud. I put the db killers back in the Remus slip on for that reason. Viva la difference!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts